Help in choosing b/w Prague and Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip in May '05 for seven days and are trying to choose between Prague (incl Dresden, other Eastern European cities) and the Bavarian region (Munich, Mosel River, Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, etc.). Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other? We're getting conflicting opinions and are having a hard time deciding. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
ira

Hi N,

Do one this time and the other the next time. You won't go wrong.

PS The Czech Republic is in Central (or Non-Eastern) Europe.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Keep in mind that the Mosel river is not near Bavaria.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM

agree with ira. These are very different kinds of experiences. Bavaria is treat you to some amazing scenery you won't find elsewhere.

The Mosel region isn't even close to being in Bavaria - it's almost in Luxembourg. Are you actually visiting some other river valley in Bavaria? If not, I'd say you are stretched mighty thin on time to squeeze in all that you have planned. Most people spend several days visiting Munich alone (or more if hitting sights just outside Munich like Dachau and Andechs Monastery.)
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM

GO TO PRAGUE! While Bavaria is wonderful, Prague will enchant you AND it is still inexpensive, as they have not yet converted to the Euro. Spend a few days in Dresden, a fabulously beautiful city, take a barge to Prague and spend a week there. It is incredible. Be sure to hire a guide for a walking tour, go to the Mucha Museum, Jewish Quarter and generally explore on foot; the City has numerous little surprises one can only find by this means (i.e. the Lennon Wall). Stay in Mala Strana.

You should also plan day trips, or extend your stay to dedicate more time to, Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov (on the World Heritage list). Cesky is a fairytale city. Budapest is also highly recommended but a bit far (quite a grueling train ride) unless you plan to fly, or take your time driving.

The food in Czech runs the gamut from peasant fare to gourmet with numerous charming small restaurants and the beer is amazing (you must go to U Flecku). Don't forget to try Becherovka, the Czech version of Jagermeister. There are over 60,000 American ex-pats there,which translates to no problem communicating; Englishis widely spoken and Czech is almost impossbile. It is a vibrant, exciting and an extraordinarily beautiful place. We LOVED Prague! Wait are you waiting for!!!???
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:50 AM

>>The Mosel region isn't even close to being in Bavaria - it's almost in Luxembourg.

The Mosel region has been part of Bavaria between 1816 and the end of WW2. So maybe they are using an old map ;-)
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Munich is an amazing city----diverse, beautiful, savvy, much to do, fun. But it's also very expensive.

Prague is like walking through a fairytale, and after you see the sites, which won't take more than a couple days, you spend the rest of the time drinking. That's what people do there bc it's so cheap. I suggest going to Cesky Krumlov if you choose Prague. It's 3 hours south, but it is the most enchanting place I have ever been to, although you need but one day there. It's tiny.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

These have all been very helpful responses. Would it be crazy to try to do a little of both? (I have a new post with a tentative itinerary). -n.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Saw this after your new post. Didn't realize you're doing alot of running around. Are you commited to Frankfurt? I find Germany to be a trip in itself. For a limited stay, 3 countries is alot. We did 5 in 3 weeks and were exhausted.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Absolutkz, thanks for your note. We are somewhat committed to at least flying in and out of Frankfurt since they had the best rates and we'd love to gain the miles on Continental. I tried looking up Austria Air, but at least on their website, had a hard time with multiple destinations. It would be ideal if I could fly into Prague and fly out of Salzburg for around $500. If not, Frankfurt/Continental seem like our best option. Any advice?