Search

Munich to Prague

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Prague

Hi,
We are flying into MUN in 2 weeks and plan on renting a car to drive up to Prague on the same day. After 2 nites there, we will drive down to Cesky Krumlov for one nite, then down to LINZ for a business meeting, and then back to Munich.
Question: How long---with minimal stops---should that take---driving from Munich airport to Prague? Also, is it still a problem driving from GER into CZ w/ rental car?
I know that the train takes 6 or 7 hours----and we don't really need a car in Prague---but it will be useful for the rest of our trip.
Any recommendations on good car-rental places?
(The last time I was in Prague, I was on a bicycle heading for Turkey and the wall was still-up!---This should be really "interesting".)
Thanks!
pete
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I think the drive should take around 4 hours. You'll have to stop at or near the border to get a sticker showing you've paid the highway tax, but otherwise taking a car across the border is not a problem.

However, parking in Prague will be a problem. Make sure your hotel has secure parking.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM

We drove Munich-Prague in 1996 and rented from HERTZ at the Munich airport. No complaints whatsoever. You need to tell HERTZ upfront that you are taking the car into Eastern Europe and make sure it is typed on your rental agreement that they have allowed you to do so.

I have posted many (many!) times on this particular experience. Browse and let me know if you can't find it. In a synopsis, we overnighted at the border (FurthIWald), crossed the border early (4 hours to Prague). This is what i advice you to do, not sure you want to do this ride/border crossing jetlagged...

I admit to sobbing when I saw the severe impact of acid rain on many of the forested areas btw Pilsner and Prague. Hope (really hope!) you see something more uplifting during the ride.

Enjoy Prague, a gem of a place; quite crowded no matter what time of the year, but you will not regret not missing out.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

I guess the best way is to just stick w/ the autobahns north out of Munich and then stay w/ the highways thru Plzen and into Prague? If any other ideas please let me know---and thank you!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:07 AM

That is indeed the fastest way. A9-A93-A6-(border DE/CZ)-D5
It's motorways only from MUC to Prague. You don't have to go through Plzen anymore, D5 motorway bypasses the city.
It may not cause many confusions, but keep in mind that signage in Germany only shows the name of the destination in German and the original language, i.e. Prag/Praha (but not Prague).

It is another thing to say whether you will feel fit enough to drive to Prague after an x hour redeye flight and w/ jetlag.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanx Cowboy---generally speaking we keep moving the 1st day and then drop into the deepest sleep on the planet at about 8p.m.---then up at 6a.m. and ready to go.
Thanks again---off to the airport...
pete