SIM Card to use in Europe

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIM Card to use in Europe

Travelling from Australia, through Asia and then through Europe in May/June this year.
Any ideas what is the best value Sim card to use in my Android phone?
I will need to use the phone for calls, text and data (up to 2Gb / Mth)
Is it best to pick up in Europe or get before we leave home?
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Your post reminded me to check to see if roaming charges in the EU had been abolished as promised last year and it appears they have been: EU mobile roaming charges have been scrapped | WIRED UK Someone with personal knowledge may confirm for you, but it seems pretty straightforward and would suggest that if you buy a sim in one EU country, it will be good for all. But if your travels go outside the EU in Europe you may need another there.

There are also "world wide" sims available, I used one a while back and it was a bit of a bother, calling a connecting number first. But there are newer like this one, and others, I've been considering for my next long trip, but it remains to be seen whether it will be better and cost effective. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHMLOS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQHSHADJF LP9X
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 11:01 AM

yes roaming charges have been scapped, though there is a fair use clause to prevent over use of free roaming.

You need a prepay SIM that you can roam with (not all allow it), top up online, and which will accept a foreign credit card to do that. Not all providers offer them.
Vodafone.nl did, I don't know if they still do. I think Three in the UK also have one.
There have been a few threads on this and no doubt if you do a search on the forum you will find them.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 12:53 PM

I bought a Dutch Vodafone SIM on ebay last spring and activated it before leaving for Europe. They instituted the EU's new "roam like at home" policy before it even went into effect. I was able to add funds to the SIM card using my US credit card on the first try. I used the SIM in Slovenia, Italy, and France, without ever visiting the Netherlands. Worked great for data. Might not be great for outgoing phone calls to other EU numbers outside of the Netherlands, but I only needed it for data, so it was perfect for me.

I used eBay seller "cheap_eu_sims" which is still selling the SIMs now, FYI. I assume you'd be able to get it shipped to you in Australia and activate it / put credit on it remotely online but of course I can't guarantee it. You could buy the SIM and try it - and if you can't add the funds for some reason, at worst you are only out a few dollars.

But if you want a SIM that works in Asia and Europe too, you might want to seek out a different type of SIM.