romantic hotels in Liguria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rummaging through a charity shop in Rochdale, I came across a lovely book by Gina Podesta called ‘ A Romantic Guide to Italy’ which is full of recommendations for romantic hotels and restaurants throughout Italy. It is a most attractively produced book.
I was drawn to the section on Liguria and Amalfi – because I have been to the former and I want to go to the latter.
In the Liguria it recommends staying at:
Portofino Kulm;
Spledido and Splendido Fare, Portofino;
Cenogio dei Dogi, Camogli;
Grand Hotel Bristol, Rapallo;
Grand Hotel Marimare, Santa Margherita Ligure;
Imperial Palace Hotel, Santa Margherita Ligure;
Villa Gnocchi, Santa Margherita Ligure;
Grand Hotel deo Castelli, Sestri Levante;
Villa Balbi, Sestri Levante;
Porto Roca, Monterosso AL Mare;
Villa Pagoda, Monterosso AL Mare.
As I frequently frequent charity shops, I guess many of these are out of my league. Has anyone actually stayed in any of them, or even heard of them?
Just in case you are thinking that its so unromantic to frequent charity shops, I should add that it was Valentines Day and I was passing on my way to buy a couple of my sweethearts favourite black puddings from the best butcher in Rochdale. I like to treat her to a slap up meal on Valentines night.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 05:53 AM

I have been inside most of these but have stayed at none of them. What is it you want ot know?
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You certainly know how to treat your girl don't you Steve, especially when it's well known that the best black puddings come from Bury.

We spent a nice week in Santa margherita Ligure last year, but at the Metropole. I've always wondered what "romantic" means, is it "good for sex" or "good for candlelit dinners"? Followed by the first one!

Bob, these are musings of a Northern lad from Manchester. He doesn't necessarily want to know anything.(Most Mancs already know most things!)
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the invite Bob - can you navigate me to any classy and romantic charity shops in your neck of the woods? And by romantic, I don't mean good for having sex in.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stayed at Porto Roca in Monterosso, fantastic setting and food, views galore,, visited Cernogio del Doge in Camogli, very nice.
Stayed a few nights in the hills above Santa Margherita Ligure at Villa Gnocci, a modest BnB which does not fit this list. Spectacular views but we cut our visit there short because of it's remote location to SML. Next visit to SML we stayed right in town on the water.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM

We stayed at The Grand Miramare in Santa Margherita about six years ago. What a gorgeous hotel! Rooms were very lux with high ceilings, moldings, kind of old-fashioned, but in a charming way. The hotel is across the street from its own small private beach, and is surrounded by gardens. The walk into town takes about ten minutes.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes HappyTrvlr, I had 'clocked' that Villa Gnocci wasn't as expensive as the rest - so my eyes lit up. That said, I might just splash out next year and try one of the others on the list. Of the other two: Grand Miramare or Cernogio del Doge which did you prefer?