Santa Margherita

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Margherita

I'm looking for some info on Santa Margherita in the Italian Riviera. I'm getting married there in September but have never visited it. Is it expensive, can you recommend some nice, friendly restaurants, what is the weather like in September etc.

Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:36 AM

I stayed in Rapallo in September, which is a 15 minute ferry ride away. The area is lovely and I think it is a great choice for a honeymoon.

We did not visit SML but we were able to find several moderately priced restaurants in Rapallo just wandering the streets, especially away from the water. In Italy, I have always found that there are plenty of choices to be had in all ranges. You just have to look a bit.

The area is great for daytrips and I know you will enjoy your stay.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:41 AM

I'm curious...how did you pick a place to get married in that you've never seen or know anything about?
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:44 AM

As an aside though, Santa Margherita is a lovely place.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Santa Margherita Ligure is a great place to spend a few days and getting married there will yield the same results as doing it anyplace else.

Anyway you can take lots of little day trips from there very easily by train or bus to places like Rapallo, Sestri Levante, one of my favorites Camogli, Genova, or the Cinque Terre if you feel like going to a zoo. It is only about a 3km walk or 5 minute bus road for 1 euro to Portofino where you can take a couple of great hikes around the peninsula or up to the fortress Castell Brown. Next to the Amalfi coast I like this area the best for an Italian seaside location.

If you need a hotel, the Best Western Hotel Laurin is 4 stars, located at the marina and has a great sea view from every room and I paid only 110 euros there with a great buffet breakfast about a year ago. The weather in September will be much like summertime and plenty warm enough for swimming.

Have fun and good luck long term.

Larry J
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM

We stayed in Santa Margherita last August when it was full of vacationing Italian families, which was a lot of fun. The town itself is lovely and very walkable. We did think that many of the pizzerias were overpriced for mediocre food, but there were a few trattorias where the food was made to order (!) and they were moderately priced. I will see if I can find the names of these in my files.

I don't know if you have accomodations yet, but I would highly recommend the Hotel Continetal, which is directly on the water and has a private beach.

The weather in September should be very nice.

Congratulations and have fun!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:00 AM

That should have been Hotel CONTINENTAL, obviously! Sorry for the misspelling!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I'll be at the Hotel Continental in September if you need a witness for your wedding. I plan to use SML as our base and explore the coastline via ferry and train.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Second hand opinion, but have a friend who adores the place. She original chose to stay there because it was more affordable than Portofino, then fell in love with it.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM

It's my all time favorite town in the world. I would live in SML if I could, and someday, I might. Here is a link to an article I wrote on the area, and the subsequent link is to a Fodors forum thread where I posted this once before:

http://www.postgazette.com/travel/20...fino0810p1.asp

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

As far as I am concerned, this place is heaven. The Chiana Hotels are great, and try for the one where we spent our time, if you would like something special. The view and the privacy were just fabulous.

You can write me at [email protected] if you need further info. I hope the article helps. September there is great. You have picked the perfect place!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I stayed at Hotel Laurin a long time ago. We liked the area very much. You can read my trip report at

http://www.travelswithdiane.homestead.com/italy6.html.

If it is still there, the restaurant Da Baicin was great -- not fancy, but great food. Someone on this board had recommended it to us and we were not disappointed.

Popping over to Portofino is easy and quick.

Enjoy!!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Da Biacin is a really good place to eat. I had the most yummy fish stew there. It is casual and not expensive, but friendly and good. I second the rec.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Santa Margherita Ligure is the same train stop you would get off for Portofino. It is a lovely little town around the peninsula from Portofino but much more economical. I really liked it, we spent the morning in Portofino, and then walked to SML to have lunch and go shopping. The people, atmosphere, and locale are all wonderful. Where are you getting married at in SML - a church or have you rented a villa place?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:07 AM

No matter what you want to do in Italy, someone has already thought of it. Take a look at this web site: http://www.weddingsinitaly.com/honey...y%20BUDGET.htm

I may get married again when we go!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Hi Keedie,

We also stayed in SML rather than Portofino. From there we took the train to Riomaggiore and hiked (with lunch at Camogli) to Vernazza. Gellato stop. Train back to SML.

SML is a lovely town in it's own right, as others agree. Also stayed at the Hotel Lauren. Very comfortable. Our room had a private terrace facing the sea.

We also took the early morning boat over to Portofino, window shopped, and had a long, leisurely lunch with lots of wine at the marina. Watched the monster yachts wiggle into the tiny marina.

a very pleasant day!

Congratulations and buon viaggio!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Hi: I was there September 2001. We were supposed to fly out on the 12... When we finally got there, it was absolutely fabulous. The people...are really special. Resturants I can't remember, but they were all great. Stick to local fish, and porcini mushrooms, and you'll be in heaven. We stayed right on the water. I put together a dvd photoalbum of the town, and if you'd like I' d be glad to send you a copy. Have a fabulous time, enjoy everything, and especially go to Portofino, right up the road. Thats worth a trip from anywhere.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. I'm 100% confident of my decision now. We're getting married in Villa Durazzo are have just to chose a restuarant now - might take a look at Da Biacin. DCW, your article is fab, will probably drop you a mail offline. NMeinke - would love to see your photo album.
Thank you again folks.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi folks,

I was wondering - has anyone ever ate at any of these restaurants in SML. La Stalla, Trattoria da Martino and La Ghiaia. Which do you think would be most suitable for a wedding reception dinner?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering - has anyone ever ate at any of these restaurants in SML. La Stalla, Trattoria da Martino and La Ghiaia. Which do you think would be most suitable for a wedding reception dinner? Also - any recommended hotels?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Hotel Continental--ask them about receptions--lovely setting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -