Search

Romantic Glasgow Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic Glasgow Hotel

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a romantic place to stay in Glasgow? (for a special night) Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM

Not the most obvious place to seek a romantic hotel, and it's not my manor...

But One Devonshire Gardens has great bedrooms, and very pleasant public rooms.

Just out of town, I personally have very fond memories of the Gleddoch House as snow was gently settling all around. It's a splendid Edwardian manor with glorious views over the Firth.

Its website, though, makes it look like a golf and wedding party place these days, so you might well find your stay coincides with a Royal Bank of Scotland salesman's convention. What do others think?
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM

SarahL,

In my opinion flannerUK has called it right, but I hope you have the budget to cover One Devonshire.

Here are a couple of sites which might help;

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/

http://www.seeglasgow.com/

Jim

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:22 AM

Agree, it has to be One Devonshire Gardens. I stayed there for my birthday a couple of years ago and it was the most luxurious room I've ever stayed in, full of acres of rich fabrics, sofas, a fantastic bathroom and I think even a fireplace. It's a shame the Gordon Ramsay offshoot restaurant Amaryllis is no longer there : I haven't heard anything about what's replaced it.

I would *not* recommend the Arts Hotel - it sounds groovy but we checked in there once & checked straight out again. The room was tiny, gloomy and just not worth the money. I gather the rooms do vary but the receptionist claimed they were all the same and just didn't want to know when we said the room we were allocated wasn't worth it.

I like the Malmaison in Newcastle but a friend who stayed in the Glasgow one said their room was very small and it was noisy.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:22 AM

Hi Sarah
You might like to see my fairly recent thread 'Romance in Glasgow?' and the helpful responses. Or are you staying in and ordering room service???
Nice to know others are looking for romance in the city - I did find it by the way!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. I was looking into One Devonshire Gardens (although it is indeed pricey.) What about the Langs Hotel or Radisson SAS?
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Sarah,

Although I've passed by both the Radisson SAS & Langs many, many times, I have have to admit that I have never set foot in either of them.

My gut reaction would have been to favour Langs as it looks a little more stylish from outside & in my opinion it is also in a slightly better location. Although both hotels are in the City Centre, Langs is just that little bit more convenient for bars, restaurants etc.

Having said that, however, I took a look at www.tripadvisor.com to find that their posters have made the Radisson the number 1 hotel in Glasgow & that the reviews are almost unanimously glowing. Some reviews of Langs, however, aren't quite so positive.

If you haven't looked at tripadvisor yet I suggest that you do so. I know that some posters here on Fodors are dubious about the objectivity of some of the reviews on tripadvisor, but if they are to believed there seems to be little doubt that the Radisson has the edge.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the responses on Trip Advisor were actually the reason I decided to post on Fodors. The Langs looked a bit more "cutting edge," but the Radisson got better reviews. Hm.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Sarah,

You might be interested to learn that Chelsea Clinton & her boyfriend stayed at Langs during a visit to Glasgow a couple of years ago.

Whether this is a dealbreaker for you (either way) I don't know!!

Jim
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:47 AM
amelia

We stayed at the Carlton George. Ironically, although this is supposedly a business hotel, the room decor probably ranks as one of the most romantic I've ever been in. We loved the hotel service--everyone from the busboy to the desk personnel were top-notch. I recall reading on Trip Advisor that one customer said that if he ever starts a hotel, he'll go there and steal the staff first!

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM
mtl

Sarah
As a native Glaswegian, I think it's worth mentioning that Lang's is in a slightly nicer part of the city than the Radisson. Also, friends held their wedding in Langs and the rooms were very cool indeed. The staff were very friendly. Radisson SAS does get good reviews and has also won design awards, though I'm not sold on location... For romance, though, One Devonshire is the winner. Nicest setting too.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:20 AM

It's a while since I was there, but One Devonshire Gardens was ace. I see a theme here, don't you?

The Arthouse gets a better name than Caroline gives it, but I haven't stayed there, or even crossed the threshold. I must admite, I thought that was where Ms Clinton shacked up with her boyfriend.

There's a new hotel down by the river, isn't there? Next to the SECC? Is it any good?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:55 AM
chas

I have stayed at One Devonshire Gardens and can confirm the rooms are wonderful.
On the down side, coincidentally, in today's Sunday Herald there is a review of the hotel restaurant,'Room', and it gave it only 2 out of 10!
The hotel is some way out from the city centre whereas both Langs and the Radisson are central.
Try a Google search of "Glasgow hotels" + "4 star" for a selection of the more up-market ones.