Residenze Johlea & Johanna Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have reservations in Sept for the new B&B called Antica Dimora which is associated with the Residenze Johlea & Johanna.
There have been several threads mentioning Johlea & Johanna but I can't find anyone who has stayed at the new B&B. (It just opened May 1st this year)
Anyone???
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Topping for Diane. I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who's stayed at Residenze Johlea or Johanna or their new Antica Dimora.

http://www.johanna.it/Len/johlea.html

There's a map, but I find it hard to tell how far the Johlea's are from the Duomo.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Greetings everyone,

I am topping this to see if anyone has any updated information.
In another post I read concerns about no air conditioning, however I did find out at their website the do have air.
After an extensive search this place seems to have everything we are looking for:
Charming rooms with air, more of a feel for Florence

Good location but quiet

A lovely terrace with great views

Moderate prices, hmmmmmmmm, what's the catch, ha.

One thing that caught my eye is that they do not take credit cards, is this a red flag or common? I don't mind paying cash but always feel I have an added sense of security when using our card, perhaps false, but I always feel like I do.
If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy travels, T.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't have any updated informatioon; I think I stayed at the Johanna in 2000 or 2001. But don't worry about the credit card thing. It's a legitimate business. If you think you can "deal" with the no-24-hour-desk-service angle, it's a great place.

Two friends and I stayed there twice. The second time our room was really big. Even the first time it wasn't small. It's not totally in the thick of things in Florence, but we liked the neighborhood. I consider it within easy walking distance of all the things most people like to see in Florence--just a bit more quiet.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:37 AM

No taking credit cards is common in Italy at the smaller establishments. I would not see this as a red flag.

I have read and heard great things about the Antica Dimora. I am in Florence fairly often and they have a good reputation. It is also slightly off the well trodden tourist path and this is a big advantage, IMHO.

tripadvisor.com and slowtrav.com are worth a look for more information.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I have what I believe to be "updated" information.
Apparently it is Johlea that has air throughout (not individulaly controlled air within the rooms) however Johanna has no air. Again, this may or may not be current...

We are debating between an October or April visit, so most likley air would not be an issue, however it is nice to have the sound of the fan to help drown out unwanted street noise.

Thank you leely and kfusto, good to know that the no credit card thing is nothing to fret about. Also thanks kfusto for the two other sources for reviews, I also added in Karen Brown's for research, and really there was only one review on tripadvisor that was negative, they had lost their reservation, otherwise everything else was glowing, as long as you don't have an issue with no desk clerk at night.

Thanks again, T.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I've stayed at both Johlea I and then at Johlea II for an additional day. They are not B&B's. They have some dinky in-room coffee and equally dinky prepackaged rolls and crackers. They are almost self catering. There is a staff person there only during the day.

"There's a map, but I find it hard to tell how far the Johlea's are from the Duomo."

It varies, the Johlea's are a good 15 minute walk. They are good for the money, but a bit away from the action. Be prepared to walk a lot to and from the place. After a few days, their relatively remote location becomes a pain.

"A lovely terrace with great views"

I don't recall a terrace. One has a roof deck, but the other doesn't.
I can't remember which does.

"Charming rooms with air, more of a feel for Florence"

I'm not sure that I would call them charming, but they are OK. But dark. They need more lamps. As far as size is concerned, they have two types of rooms. One that is a single floor and another whethe they have built a loft in the room. The single floor rooms are much better.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hi,
Now I'm going to get all opinionated and tell you that you won't need AC.

No, I'd only do that to a family member.

I realize I'm not sure which property you're considering, and of course the weather is the weather and who knows. BUT when we were there it was late May, and there was a bit of a heatwave. High ceilings, thick walls and lots of windows kept the rooms in the Johanna remarkably cool. We weren't in the least uncomfortable.

For what it's worth (maybe not much!).
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I can help with this one.

I stayed at both Johlea II and Antica Dimora last June: 4 nights at each, since Johlea didn't have room for us at the end of our week in Florence.

Our room in Johlea must have been one of the least appealing the hotel has to offer. It was a stuffy twin room with a tiny window and dispiriting decor. The shower was difficult to use; my bed was not that comfortable.

The staff were all very welcoming and helpful, and the common rooms were okay, but I felt the website was a little misleading. Still for the price, it's okay. Not a place I would rush to rebook, but time has softened my initial disappointment.

After the fourth night, we moved to the Antica Dimora. Oh. My. Word. After Johlea, it was indescribable luxury. Gorgeous room: big windows, pretty linens, nice AC, fantastic shower (one of those great big huge showerheads, can't remeber what they're called). The common rooms were nice, the breakfast provided was more than adequate, and the staff, again, were very helpful.

(There isn't someone at the desk 24-hours-a-day at either spot, which was fine with us for the most part, but I do remember that it means there is no telephone swithboard either. If you have a cellphone, I guess that isn't a problem, but I don't, and I was missing my husband and toddler so much, it meant planning those calls home very carefully.)

The two rooms we had, while not much different in price, were worlds apart in comfort.

I would stay at Antica Dimora again in a heartbeat.

And I'd be happy to answer any further questions.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Well Miss Phyllis, after three intense days of researching every hotel and B&B from one side of Florence to the other you had me roaring.
Your "Oh. My. Word.", I could actually hear you. Thanks for the laughter, this confused mind of mine needed that desperately.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK-----it appears that not one place has everything that we are looking for (and yes they do exist, the perfect places for each of us).
I wish Antica had a roof terrace or something of the sort.
I know everyone says, it's only a room, you aren't ever in it, but in reality, my husband and I do look forward to coming back to the room later in the day, sitting out with a glass of vino enjoying some type of view, it could even just be a courtyard, just something peaceful while we relax, and then get ready for dinner.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the search continues. I hope we don't end up in some establishment that lacks charm, I didn't want the norm for Florence, I wanted to blend in, hee, I wanted something interesting, old world charm!

Thanks again to all for your replies, T.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM

We stayed at the Antica Dimora in March of this year, and have to say that I wasn't overly impressed. Air conditioning wasn't an issue, obviously, but our room was often cold and there was no way to regulate the heat in the room. It is controlled in the lobby by the staff, which can be problematic.

Upon arrival in Florence, we asked the front desk staff to make reservations at the Uffizi and the Accademia and, as I have posted before, were told that we would be better off getting in line when the galleries opened than making a reservation. As a result, we stood in line for the Uffizi for 3.5 hours. And because we had to leave the hotel around 8 a.m. each morning to stand in line for the galleries, we missed the breakfast buffet, so I cannot comment on that. Apparently it isn't ready until 8:30 or 9 a.m.

They do indeed only take cash, but that was no problem. The location was fine for us -- slightly out of the way but no problem at all. The elevator wasn't always working which, again, was no problem for us, but may be to some.

All in all it really isn't bad, the furnishings are pretty, and the staff is very nice (not considering the gallery reservation nightmare). I think I just prefer more upscale hotels.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:38 AM

Let me know if you want other recommendations. I have been to Florence a dozen or so times.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM

But Tiff, as a guest at Antica Dimora, you are allowed to use the rooftop terrace at Johlea. We did this (after clearing it with the staff before trucking up the street with wine, glasses, and a corkscrew) and it was one of the nicest evenings we spent in Florence -- whether because of the wine or the terrace, it's hard to say.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Calling the roof of the Johlea a "terrace" creates the wrong image. It is simply a the building's roof with a couple of old tables and chairs.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:14 AM

kfusto,

If you have other recommendations, I would appreciate them. We had considered the Antica Dimora and are considering the Tourist House Ghiberti but always like to hear with others have to say. Our last three times in Florence have stayed twice at the Tournabouni Beacci and once at the Hotel Ritz. Recommend the former but not the latter.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I have stayed at the San Gallo Palace my last several visits. I like the location, it is a wonderful, new hotel, 4 stars and there are great prices to be had. It is a bit out of the way but I prefer to be away from the masses of tourists when in Florence so it works for me.

If price is not an object, my very favorite place to stay - with a terrace to die for - is Antica Torre Tournabuoni. It is wondeful and well located and small and personal. Also expensive.

Tourist House Ghilberti and Residence il Villino also get high marks but I have not stayed there personally.

If you want a simple place that is very well located, Soggiorno Antica Torre has nice rooms but no breakfast. Right on Piazza della Signoria so the location cannot be beat. You must climb a long flight of stairs to get to the elevator.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Thank you kfusto, appreciate your input very much!!!!!!!!!!

Happy travels, T.