Florence Hotel

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Florence Hotel

I am searching through Trip Advisor for a hotel in Forence in the $200 range. I find it all so overwhelming as there are always negative comments regarding any hotel. Comfort is the main concern (especially a comfortable bed and a clean room). The second concern is a good location. Any feedback would be most appreciated! thanks!!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM

In May we stayed at the Hotel Casci, Via Cavour 13, Florence Telephone 055 211686 Fax 055 2396461. It's 2 blocks from the duomo. It's a great little family run hotel, mom, dad and sons. The rooms are basic but clean. The location and hospitality cannot be beat.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM

www.touristhouseghiberti.com

If you do a search here and on tripadvisor, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find negative comments. We stayed there for a week last month. Our room was spotless, larger than expected (including bathroom size), free computer with internet in the room, in-room flat-screen TV, jacuzzi, sauna, terrace. We paid 155 euros by credit card but could have paid 8 percent less if cash. Two blocks from Duomo with a bus stop across the street.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Sadly there are a few negative comments (actually quite horrible ones). I know not everyone is going to be happy with a hotel, but this is a once in a lifetime trip and am seriously paining over this selection.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Comments about the Tourist House Ghiberti?

I'm amazed. We loved it there and would definitely go back. Some people did find the owners standoffish, but we thought they were very nice and helpful.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Pennywise3,

I'm curious about your last post. Were you referring to Tourist House Ghiberti? All the comments that I've seen on tripadvisor have been glowing. Also, my daughter and three friends recently spent a week there, and had an absolsutely wonderful experience.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Second time today I've recommended this place, which fits your price range & needs. We stayed there last month (in the Actor's Suite) and loved everything about it. Seriously lives up to everything on its website -- and more!
http://www.florencegrandtour.com/
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
hdm

We were quite happy with the Hotel Globus (www.hotelglobus.com). We didn't get the room with a view we requested but were very happy with the large internal room we were given. Not much of a view but very, very quiet.

It was about a five minute walk to the Duomo and just a block or two from the big outdoor market. We found everything in Florence easy walking distance.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Not in the 200.00 range (less) but very pleasant small hotel we enjoyed is Hotel David.

Good location and quiet with complimentary afternoon wine and snacks. A computers is available for checking email and making future reservations.

Have fun

Dave
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Another vote for Hotel Casci. I've stayed there twice and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Spotless, conveniently located, helpful staff, and reasonably priced. The Web site is
www.hotelcasci.com. Have fun!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM

We recently stayed at the Davanzati on Via Porta Rossa near the Piazza Signore. It was great, and is highly recommended by TripAdvisor.

The cost were about $200 per night with free internet computer use and a super breakfast. The owner and staff were very cordial and super accomodating to us. I would give it a 9.5/10.

Good luck!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Pennywise, after reading that you'd found negative ("actually quite horrible") reviews re Tourist House Ghiberti, I just had to look at Tripadvisor.

Assuming this is where you found the negative reviews, please consider that the disappointed guests (by my count 5) were vastly outnumbered and completely contradicted by the other 102 very to extremely satisfied guests. The reviews dated back almost three years. That's five complaints over more than 5,000 guest nights (365 days x 3 years x 5 rooms). I think any hotel (let alone a family-operated B&B) would envy that statistic.

Some of the complaints seemed to flow from unrealistic expectations. This is a 5-room B&B. To expect a large lobby, a big elevator, room service and other hotel-type amenities is inviting disappointment. One or two of the posters seemed (to me, at least) quite inexperienced with regard to small European hotels and particularly accommodations in old buildings.

We've stayed in many different hotels in European cities, and our THG room and bathroom were HUGE in comparison. Both rooms were immaculate and very comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was quite varied, and the coffee was excellent. We'd been to Florence several times before, but the few questions we had were cheerfully answered or inquiries made.