Reserve Louvre and others in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit confused about reserving a spot at The Louvre. I have bought my tickets and will pick them up at a Fnac location in Paris, but do I also make a reservation for a certain day or time?

Also, is it the same process for the Musee d'Orsay, Place des Invalides and the Eiffel Tower ( which I'm hoping may re-open in time ): pay for tickets online and make a reservation?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 03:26 PM

Well you would have probably been better of with a Paris Museum Pass that with those three places may pay for itself and allow you in free to dozens more, including Versailles and most importantly gives you priority entry anytime you show up - a seaparte entrance for ticket holders which I think you will be able to use but no need to reserve a time slot IME.

for others think of the Paris Museum Pass before buying online tickets: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Does not cover Eiffel Tower but does the towers of Notre Dame, the Pompidour Modern Art museum - the Conciergeries where Marie Antoinette's cell is still like it was; St Etienne, a stunning hidden church; Rodin Museum and Versailles amongst dozens of other sites - I went into several museums, like the Cluny, that I probably would not have if I had to pay and of course at a place like the Louvre you can come and go as you wish - over the day validity of the pass, which is bought at any participating museum - chose a lesser one to avoid lines at the ticket queue.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 03:59 PM

No, you do not make a reservation for a time at the museums. You go, and can bypass the line for buying tickets, but you do not bypass the security line.
As said, the Paris Museum Pass would have been a better option and gotten you more value.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 05:42 PM

If you don't get a Paris Museum Pass (no need to buy ahead of time just buy one at a small museum once you are in Paris--buying from a small museum is just easier and no line), then take a look at the combo tickets for Musee d'Orsay. I believe there is one with LOrangerie and one with Musee Rodin.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, Gretchen and denisea,
Thanks for your suggestions. I did look into the museum pass and analyzed it quite thoroughly, comparing it to buying individual tickets. It was better for me and my kids to not purchase one. if my kids were older and avid history and art lovers, then I would have gone for it. If I had a few more days in Paris, my daughter was old enough to go about on her own, then it would have made sense. Believe me, it was not the better option this trip.

At least i now know tickets bought ahead of time is what saves you time and helps you skip at least one line.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 03:27 AM

That is fine for your purpose, and you are satisfied. However, there ARE some other "perks" of the museum pass. It is good for say, 2 days in a row. You could go to a museum for a couple of hours (any of what you mention), then do something else, pop in to the Invalides (and for me that is about 15 minutes), etc. Then if your kids needed a bathroom break and you were passing the Cluny, you could pop in there.
Also, I think your children are free (I assume from the ages).
Kids don't have to be "avid" to love seeing things. One way to interest them is to buy a post card of a painting at the Orsay, for example, take them to the room where it is, and have them "find" it.
There is Ste. Chapelle--the archaeological portion of Notre Dame--climbing to see the gargoyles of ND (no skipping line).
The Louvre has a great Egyptian collection.
Just a thought for the next time.
and if you are going to the Louvre, don't choose the pyramid entrance which WILL have a long security line.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:37 AM

I don't find the pass cost effective, either.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 11:03 AM

Just curious Christina--if you had never been to Paris would that be the case. And you were there for a few days and wanted to go to museums? Context IS important.