Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do i need to buy tickets in advance to the Louvre Museum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Im arriving on the 27th Sep into Paris, plan to visit the Louvre, would it be a long que if i get there about 9am? Or i should purchase it online, if i get it online whats a good website to but the tickets?
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:06 AM

I was just there on Wednesday and there were at least 200 visitors in front of me, so I would suggest purchasing a ticket in advance as that line was quite short.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Is the Louvre the only museum you plan to go to? If so, it may be worth it to buy it online in advance because the lines can be daunting. If you're planning to go to other museums, the Paris Museum Pass may be a better deal for you, in which case you could stop at a FNAC or another small museum on your way to the Louvre and then be able to bypass the lines. Don't buy the pass online - there's a fairly big markup - wait until you get to Paris.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

That site is just to familiarize yourself with the passes. As I said, it's cheaper to get it once in Paris.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Get the museum pass St cirq mentions and waltz in not onoy here but at the Orsay, Versailles, the Pantheon and many other great museums that you may not even visit if you did not have the pass - a few major museums makes it pay off and you need not exhaust yourself in the Louvre all at once but can come and go easily. I buy my pass at a minor museum so I do not have to wait in long lines to buy it.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM

The Louvre website tells you what your options are if you want to buy online in advance, maybe you can read their info.

I think www.ticketnet.fr is as good as any, you pay 1.1 euro over face and I believe you can print them at home so you don't have to collect them. Also, it has an English webpage option.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Have fun with it - you'll have long lines (what's a "que" - that means "what" in Spanish), lots of crowds, and the Mona Lisa behind flashproof glass so every idiot with an iphone who cannot turn off the flash photo feature won't ruin the masterpiece.

Go to the Musee d'Orsay.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/venir.jsp?bmLocale=en
Go to the official Louvre website and check out Louvre entrances. If you use the Carrousel entrance, the underground shopping mall, the lines are very short. We went just in time for the opening, walked quickly and had the Mona Lisa almost all to ourselves for a few minutes.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM

I am also a fan of the museum pass to avoid ticketing lines and to get into museums faster...agree with Micheline to enter through the Carousel entrance on rue de Rivoli (look for red awning)...with or without the pass the lines are shorter there, in my experience
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Don't forget the Louvre and Orsay are free the first sunday of the month.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM

BigRuss - I think OP meant "Queue" as in a long line!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Hi

We used the same entrance as Micheline. We purchased our entrance tickets and metro tickets at a Tourist Booth. I think you can also buy this "package" where you buy your metro tickets. We did not have to line up from the Carousel entrance. I suggest visiting on a Wednesday, mid afternoon. This is the late closing day and crowds have thinned. It was still busy but the crowd was tolerable. This may help too - http://www.fodors.com/search/results...?search=louvre
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Great info thank u soo much guys!