Rentals cars, what is a good deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are renting a car for our two week trip to Ireland in June. We are looking for a small car and are willing to do a stick shift. While reading trip reports and doing my own research I have seen everything from $200-$900 for those two weeks. I'm not sure what kind of price range I should be looking for. I am aware there may be hidden fees and extra insurance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as all of the choices are a little overwhelming!
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM

This is not exactly the answer to your question, but there are no good deals on rental cars in Ireland,just some that are not quite as outrageous as the rest. This is because the credit card companies do not include Ireland, Israel and a few other "trouble" spots in the countries they offer CDW/LDW coverages, and you must purchase it at the time of rental and it is very expensive.
Renting a manual transmission will keep your cost down, but that is something to give a lot of thought to. You are driving on the other side of the road, and need to shift with your left hand.Traffic in Dublin and urban areas is like driving in any city in the US. And if you parallel park, you will be doing it from the other side of the car. Don't forget about going through "round-a-abouts" or traffic circles as well as very narrow country roads, that here would be small drive-ways, and where there you will find traffic coming at you in the opposite direction.
Having said all that I'm sure you have checked rates at the usual: Avis, Enterprise, Thrifty, Hertz, Europcar. You might also try Dan Dooley http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ Two years ago, my parents went to Ireland and I helped find a rental car, and after a comparing rates and insurance we ended up with Dooley. Good Luck, and give it a lot of thought before you book a car with a manual transmission.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM

Also, Ireland has gotten rid of a lot of their fleet - it's probably half the size it was several years ago. Dan Dooley is my recommendation as well, they make a guarantee that all costs are included in their quote. No one else does that. Michele Erdvig at www.irelandyes.com has a great thread on her forums about rental cars and the problems/possibilities.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much! I'm leaning towards Dan Dooley for the re-assurance (hopefully) that I won't be surprised with extra costs once I get there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Also, while I would prefer an automatic and am aware that it will be more difficult with a manual, renting an automatic brings the price up an extra 500 euro, at least with Dan Dooley. Is it really worth it to pay an extra 500 euro for an automatic?
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM

Only you know how comfortable you are with stick shift. I had a blast driving stick in Italy and Spain, twenty years after my last experience with a manual in the US, but was terrified by it in Ireland--driving on the left took all my concentration. And do not underestimate the narrowness of the roads there.
You'll have a great time either way, though.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM

Exactly what kayd said. I only ever drive manual when in Europe, but once I'm there and doing it, I'm fine with it. It depends on the driver and their comfort zone. Since automatics are much less common in Europe, they are more expensive. The good side is that gas mileage is better in cars there - I usually get around 45mpg. The bad side is that gas is about $10 a gallon. It does even out.