Car rental in Ireland

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Car rental in Ireland

Hi -- I'm planning a two-week trip to Ireland at the end of the month, and I'm planning to rent a car since it seems WAY cheaper (and easier) than trying to arrange trains, buses, etc. Besides the costs of renting the car (plus taxes & insurance) and gasoline, are there any other costs associated with driving around Ireland? Tolls? Parking costs?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM

We did a driving trip for Ireland in May and had a great time. Roads are very narrow and their idea of a freeway differs greatly from those in the US.
We were able to find free parking in most places we went and those places that required you to pay had machines that you bought parking passes from. They were all very reasonable in price.
Make sure you have a good map, we bought the Michelin map for Ireland and it was excellent. The roundabouts can be a little tricky at first but after a couple of days you'll find that they are an efficient way to keep traffic moving.
If you go to www.irelandexpert.com
you have another good source of information for your trip. She also has a link to Dan Dooley car rental, which we used, and they give you 10% off of your rental price if you call the agency and mention Pat Preston's web site as a referral source.
Leave extra time for driving between sights. If the map says it's 30 miles, plan on at least 45-60 minutes drive time.
If you get lost, you'll find the Irish to be very accomodating for directions.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Whatever agency you use, book your rental car from home NOW to get the best price. Check www.autoeurope.com, a consolidator that finds you the best rate from among the companies with which it has contracts.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM

We were just in Ireland two and a half weeks ago on our trip, we were unaware of the insurance that we had to purchase from the car rental company. We had understood that our Visa card would cover us for car rental, but in Ireland it did not. We were hit with an extra 20 euro per day for our car rental. Europcar is the worst, never rent from them, I had a terrible experience with them. Enterprise in Scotland was amazing. Great people, great smiles, and so friendly.

Roads in Ireland are very small. Yes, plan extra time for your daily journeys because even though it says 100 km/hr, getting use to the twists and turns in the countryside roads can be hard at first to navigate. I didn't drive, my boyfriend did, I navigated. I had a great map, and that is the key. Where are you planning on going? We started in Malahide, north of Dublin, and went to Sligo, over to Doolin, Rock of Cashel, and back to Dublin. It was awesome!!!!

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM

We drove from Dublin to Shannon staying at B&B',each was unique , friendly guests, clean and up to date. We used a travel agent in the states who used "CIT" for the places and the car rental. Very affordable. I ,for the first time in all my travels, took the additional collision insurance
On the first day the roads were so narrow I lost the drivers side mirror passing hedges. It was that narrow and I saved money.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM

We just returned from Ireland. We rented a car and had no problems. There was one tole road leaving Dublin air port. That was the only one the M roads are like our freways the N roads are like 2 or 4 lane roads both were good. But please get a good map before you go. The ones that come with the car rental are really bad. The roundabouts take some getting used to but you are going to have a great time.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Like eyes, I found the Michelin Ireland map to be detailed enough to serve me well. It's available from amazon.com.