Irish car Rentals

Apr 12th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Irish car Rentals

Has anyone used them. Their price was a little more than half of the others I tried. Are they reliable. It says SIXT/Dollar on the web site.
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Whoever you use, be sure that they are including taxes and CDW. These add up considerably.

I haven't used them myself. I know I read at least one negative on them here, but one isn't much of a poll. We use Argus Rentals in Ireland, www.argusrentals.com

Many others here recommend Dan Dooley.
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:56 PM

I rented 4 door Acura from Murrays/Europcar located at the Baggot St. Bridge in Dublin May 1, 2002. Got a fair rate of what equaled (at that time)$29 per day. Service was great, however their limited hours of operation did not fit in with our plans. Because they were not open when we were ready to give back the car, we had to pay for another day. Bad planning on my part I know, but we made some unscheduled stops that I'll remember for a lifetime!
Dublin traffic is horrible and slow compared to what you're used to if you're from US. Some of the best maps will not tell you what streets go "one way" you'll have to figure that out yourself! Add roads that are under construction and well, it's a daunting task. Parking is another chore, I recommend the Dawson Street garage; easy and convenient but not exactly cheap.
That being said, Dublin is a fantastic city and I can't wait to go back again!
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Shirley:

Clifton is right, the apples to apples comparison is important. You have to look at things like taxes, CDW, TP and dedcutible on the CDW. The buy down price for Super CDW can vary drastically. Mastercard gold or platinum usually covers your CDW with $0 deductible, but you should contact them first, and them make sure the rental agency accepts their coverage. There number is 1-800 MCASSIST. Visa and AX are NOT accepted for coverage in any form over there. Diners Club is also accepted.

Bill
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Here's my upbeat car rental story. Just returned from Ireland where I rented a Hertz car (4 door Corolla w/ auto trans) for 4 days at $26/day via O'Scanlain Travel - recommended by many.
I also contacted the Mastercard travel assist office and rcvd a fax indicating that CDW would be covered in full. Please request this doc'tion to present as needed. When I picked up the car at Shannon, the damage chart (vehicle pic w/ markings) was provided to me w/ the keys. I then proceeded to sleepily review these markings against what I saw. Noting differences not in my favor (e.g. add'l scratches and dents not noted already), I asked one of the employees on the lot to review what I also found and he noted the add'l damage on my copy of the chart along with his initials. I kept the car in good shape - only amassing a scratch or two over my 600 miles of travel! Then, upon return, two guys looked at my paperwork and scanned over the care for a minute or two -before giving me the "thumbs-up" - no add'l charges!