Northwest Airlines World Perk miles

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northwest Airlines World Perk miles

Anyone know tricks to using the miles. I purchased tickets from MSP to Paris and Frankfurt to MSP May 20 - June 8. I purchased them on line at NWA.com. Now I find out that I can't use my World Perk miles to upgrade cause it was a web fare.

Anyone know any tricks? This is our honeymoon and I was hoping to surprise my wife to be.

It seems impossible to use the miles
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Call World Perks Service Center and plead your case. Are the tickets refundable? If so, you might get a refund and start over.
In May we're flying MEM to MSP to LGW and return on award travel. So the miles are useable.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:28 PM

The WorldPerks site says that you can use your miles for either one-way or roundtrip upgrades to existing reservations. Why would the fact that you bought your original tickets online rather than over the phone make any difference? I'll ask the obvious question. Did you call the WorldPerks line (1-800-447-3757) and get an explanation from an agent?
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:35 PM
MGB

With all the talk now, supposedly if your tickets were purchased before a specified date you are allowed one change without fee. That approach may be worth a call.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:39 PM

I have tried to do the same thing. What I found out was that only certain fare types are allowed to be upgraded using miles. These are not the special fares or lowest fares that we usually find on the website. The issue really isn't that the ticket was purchased online, it's that the ticket purchased was not the fare type that can be upgraded. I am not positive but I think a Y fare can be upgraded (don't quote me!) but I know for sure that a Q fare cannot be. If you bought one of the cheap fares that was flagged as a special deal, I believe in the Rules for the flight it stated it could not be upgraded - if I remember correctly from when I was investigating. I would suggest you call World Perks . I called on Sunday to ask again about it, to get a ticket to Paris that was upgradeable would have cost me $1250. I found a fare online for $711 that was not upgradeable. Not good news for you, but I would still suggest calling or ask at check-in. This has never worked for me, but I have friends who were able to be upgraded at check-in even on fares that were not eligible normally. Good luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM
dkw

We just used miles to purchase one ticket and upgrade one to business class on NWA from Detroit to Zurich this upcoming May. You must purchase what they call an "upgradable fare" which of course is a much more expensive fare than the standard fare which comes up on their website.

I would suggest talking to a Worldperks agent. If you are silver, gold or platinum elite there is a special phone # for you to use. By all means use it. The World perks elite agents seem to have much more latitude in dealing with their customers.

Last year I had to postpone a trip for two weeks because of a family emergency and a fantastic Worldperks agent got us on a flight two weeks after our original departure date using strictly miles when I know there were no frequent flier seats available at that late date!! I did call at about 2AM and she seemed to have alot of time to spend on the phone with me to work the situation out. You might try calling late at night when their phone lines aren't so busy. If you don't get satisfaction from one agent call back and perhaps you will get one more willing to work on your situation.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:10 PM

dkw:
I've been making reservations and flying for over 50 years. I can truthfully say that your advice to call reservations in the wee hours of the morning is the best advice I've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant! Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:14 PM

The number of seats available for upgrade with miles is limited. In addition, the following trans-Atlantic fares can't be upgraded with miles: those beginning with S/K/V/Q/H//M. If you have one those fares, there are no tricks to use. Before you switch to an upgradeable fare, be sure that there will be available WBC seats to move up to with miles.