Car Rental Ireland

Jun 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental Ireland

Has anyone rented a car from Thrifty or from Atlas? If so, how was your experience? In my analysis thus far, they offer the best price for the compact automatic we need for eleven days. (I'm pricing these with CDW for comparison sake, but I did apply for a platinum MasterCard today!)

Next least expensive are Argus and Irish Car Rentals (SIXT). Any feedback on them?

Is there anybody I should stay away from in renting a car? If you want to respond offline e-mail me at redravnATmindspring.com. Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Have rented from SIXT three times, both directly, and through consolidators like IrishCarrentals. Other than minor dissaticfaction with accurracy of vehicle descriptions, I have no major complaints (i.e. : no spurrious damage claims, etc.). They DO tend to slip in the "You bought the tank of fuel, just return it empty" scam, like many rental companies (have you ever returned a rental less than 1/4 tank? And at $1.20 (.99 Euro) per litre ...
But, the vehicles they provided were clean, suffered from no noticable mechanical problems and the accepted the MasterRental CDW waiver without any grief.
We are moderately hard on our rental cars, too. See my 11 Day June trip report thread -- we often boldly go places where others might fear to tread.
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:43 PM

We did 10 days thru autoeurope and found them to be the best price rate, using my plat M/C for CDW.

Insurance doesn't cover tires -- I had a bubble in my front left tire, avoiding something big near Limerick. It cost me $150. A lot of money to pay for a tire, but I was on my way out of the country and not enough time to really complain.

Jun 26th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Since you mention Argus - we've rented from them and never had a problem. The biggest issue with them is their Dublin airport location is a bit on the far side of the airport. Not an easy spot to walk to.

They were fine to work with though. Good car, helped us out with an unplanned schedule change. No problems.
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I have been pricing cars for our October trip. O'Scannlain/Hertz so far has far and away the best price for our 9 days, automatic Toyota Corolla, $227, no CDW. Only catch is, we have to pay with our MC within 7 days of our quote. In the past we have used Budget twice and Hertz once (booked Hertz through TA and had to upgrade the size once we got to the counter for add'l 80E.)
Jun 27th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad you're mentioning the size of the car and that sometimes they don't match the descriptions. It seems that the Compact size in Europe is similar to the Economy size in the U.S.

There are only two of us, and we're hoping to travel fairly light with two 22" suitcases and a daypack or two (for me, for over a week, that's light); so we don't need a big car for people and luggage.

One concern I do have is whether a car has a trunk/boot, or at least a cover for the cargo area if it's a hatchback. I'd like to keep the luggage hidden for security when we're traveling between towns. It seems I have to go with Compact or, in some cases, Intermediate to get a car with a boot.

Jun 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM

We got a compact, Focus 4-door hatchback. The luggage area was hidden. HappyCheesehead got upgraded to the next category with a trunk(boot), a Nissan.

When we met in Crookhaven and were parked side by side, we both noted that my compact seemed wider than their Nissan. In Ireland, the thinner, the better.
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Going In August, cheapest rate through Nova car rentals, and no penalty for cancelling within 24 hrs. Car to be picked up from Budget.I tried all those you mentioned, Sixt was same price, but had a penalty for cancelling.