Search

Recommendations for hotels Barrio Salamanca , Madrid

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for hotels Barrio Salamanca , Madrid

Hello,

I'm planning to go to Madrid this September. Ive been to Madrid many times, and usually stay in the Plaza Las Cortes/ Plaza Santa Ana area ( also knows as Barrio Las Letras), Although I enjoy this area very much , and feel like "going back home" when I stay there, I think I'm ready to stay in a different area. In April while in Madrid, I had the opportunity to walk some around Barrio Salamanca, and feel I would enjoy staying there. I'm looking for recommendations as to hotels, and also any restaurants in the area you particularly like, Thank you for any suggestions.
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:06 AM

Recommendations for hotels & Restaurants Barrio Salamanca , Madrid

Welcome again !

Insider tips from a local . Enjoy

Boutique Hotels in Barrio Salamanca :
Totem : Hotel NH Madrid Lagasca ; AC Hotel Recoletos

Tapas Bars :
Mesteño Bar; Casa Dani at Mercado de la Paz ; Jurucha

Restaurants :
Car​​​​​​​bón Negro ; Ramon Freixa; Ultramarinos Quintin; Centro Riojano Madrid

Old May 19th, 2019, 11:06 AM

Hi cruiseluv,
Lately, we've been staying in the lovely Barrio Salamanca and enjoy it very much, especially the architecture. It feels like home to me because it once was my beloved home. I don't know what your hotel budget is, but here are a few that I can personally recommend:

4-star Hotel Tótem, a member of Small Luxury Hotels, a complete remake of the former Hesperia Hermosilla. It's a boutique Marugal property. The entry level rooms (best for solo travelers) run a bit tight in size so we book the superiors or the jr. suites, on the top floor, which are quite ample. We find the location fantastic, just around the corner from the Mercado de la Paz, with lots of great dining within an easy walk. Nice staff and great cocktail bar. The Pimiento Verde (Basque) restaurant is next door, the most "gourmet" of the several P.V.s.

4-star VP Jardín de Recoletos, an older but renovated suite-type hotel, large standard rooms measuring an ample 35 sq meters, with kitchenettes, just a hop from the Castellana and Plaza Colón. It has a pretty interior garden. Rates here can be very competitive. A solid mid-range budget bet.

5-star Wellington, a classic, "Old World Grande Dame" type (decidedly not hip and trendy), just a short hop from Retiro Park, on tony Calle Velázquez. I would avoid the standard rooms, though, and splurge for a renovated room in the Wellington Club, but they are pricey. Outdoor garden & pool (seasonal).

I just toured the brand new 5-star Bless (LHW) and know the 5-star Unico (SLH), but rates will run quite high at both in September.

I've stayed at the NH Lagasca (disappointing & poor fit and finish in rooms, albeit a great location) and the AC Recoletos (opaque glass wall separating bath from bedroom, not appealing for privacy, but nice jazz in lobby on Thursdays).
As to the NH properties, I prefer their top tier Collection group, as the rooms come more nicely appointed with such comfy beds. The old Sanvy is now the NH Collection Colón (with seasonal pool), but I haven't stayed there. (My fav NH Collection is the Suecia.)
There's the One Shot Recoletos, a more moderate budget, "no fuss" property. My quibble with the One Shots: the lack of a proper bedroom closet and smallish rooms, but rates run lower. I wasn't a big fan of the Petit Palaces but haven't been in them since PP was rebranded to Icon. They now get better Booking reviews. The Icon Wipton (formerly Petit Palace Art Gallery) on Jorge Juan has an elegant location.

For dining here are my favorites:
High end on "restaurant row" Jorge Juan: *La Bien Aparecida, Albora Bar, La Máquina
Michelin star: Ramón Freixa in Hotel Unico
Mid range: La Maruca (Cantabrian), Ultramarinos Quintín, Casa Galleta, Taberna Pedraza, Taberna Verdejo, Taberna Recreo. Esbardos (Asturian)
Budget: Casa Dani in the Mercado de la Paz for one of Madrid's best tortillas, just won a "Best Tortilla in Spain" award, and for their incredible bargain 11-euro menú del día. José Andrés is also a big fan.
Breakfast/brunch: Mamá Framboise Jorge Juan, El Perro y la Galleta, Mallorca

See and be seen, "pijo", fashion crowd: Carbón Negro, Ten con Ten

Hope this helps!
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Thank you, Maribel!
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Hello Maribel, and thank you so much! Coincidentally, I was just on the website of the VP Jardin de Recoletos. Liked what I saw , and price for late Sept stay wasnt too bad. Will check Totem and some of the others as well. Since I try to stay at Marriotts (due to loyalty program) , I was about to decide on the AC Recoletos, but was concerned about the bathroom situation, which you now have confirmed . If I go by myself its not a problem, but I wont know about that until probably late in the process, so probably better to avoid. I'll be staying in Madrid at the front and back end of my trip , so who knows, maybe I'll try two different ones! Great to see you again!

Thank you Jannei as well!
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Hi cruiseluv,
I think the Jardín de Recoletos in the Recoletos sub zone of Salamanca would be a very solid mid-range choice, as it runs lower in price than the Tótem and the 5-stars, yet rooms deliver lots of space and the handy kitchenette, it offers the garden for relaxing, plus it sits only 1 1/2 blocks from the Castellana for catching the bus or a cercanías and is an easy walk also to Retiro Park. And if memory serves, I believe that danon may have stayed there, so I hope she adds her input here.

I was going to mention the Marriott points advantage to the AC Recoletos but the lack of privacy, bathroom issue might be a deal breaker. I don't know if all the rooms there have the same frosted glass issue (an annoying design trend in my book) because I've only stayed on one type of room, but I expect that they do, since that was part of its trendy design. Bonvoy Platinum members who anticipate a concierge floor may be disappointed in it, as it doesn't have one.

Great to talk with you too!*

And hi eks!
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hello again,

After spending some time on Tripadvisor, Booking.com, and the websites of a few of these hotels, I decided that for the price , Jardin de Recoletos sounds like a very good option, so booked it for my stop in Madrid in early Sept. I booked it on their website, which initially offered me the standard room for an average price per night of 149 euros. After googling for a better rate found a promo code that brought the rate down to 134 euros per night, not bad! Rates in the Barrio Salamanca hotels were higher for late Sept , so I decided to keep my reservation for those days at the Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes, near Plaza Santa Ana, where they offered a decent 130 Euros per night rate.
Very excited for the plans to try a new area in Madrid, thanks for all the help!
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:08 PM

Sounds like great! That's a quite decent rate for early September. We also like the Catalonia Las Cortes for lodging in the Barrio de las Letras (aka Huertas) area. Have fun exploring the lovely Barrio de Salamanca.
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:57 PM

We always stay in Salamanca and love Jardin.

I couldn't get a room at Jardin for my visit a few weeks ago, stayed at Pavilions
..renovated boutique hotel near Colon. Liked it very much.
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:10 PM

I had dinner at Pimiento Verde ....wasn't great.
East of Retiro are several spots I like , especially la Catapa
another Mamá Framboise just opened next to NH Colón

Old May 20th, 2019, 07:24 PM

Hi danon,
I've been wondering how The Pavilions in Chamberí has stood up in quality since it changed names (& ownership) from the former Aparthotel Amador de los Ríos. Very glad you liked it. It too has a very nice location on a very pretty street, just 1 1/2 blocks from the Castellana on the other side.

Most of the Pimiento Verde places are nothing out of the ordinary, I agree. There's a Mamá Framboise inside Platea and also a newish one in the Mercado de la Paz, but just a market stand that doesn't offer brunch.

Our favorite small plates dining in all of Madrid is at La Catapa in the Retiro. We make it our number 1 first stop in our usual rotation, and it's been voted the number 1 gastro bar in Madrid by many professional critics. The owner, Miguel Angel, (the tall one with the glasses) is just a lovely person to boot and does speak English. It's become our Madrid dining home, along with some other fine Retiro spots (Salino, La Raquetista, La Castela, Castelados, La Montería, La Monte). Great small plates dining in the Retiro district.
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:17 PM

Hi Maribel,

I once stayed at Aparthotel , it was tired looking and in a need of a redo, but I liked the location and room size.
The Pavilions still has good size rooms, decor is a bit retro , very comfortable beds, several suits.
The restaurant looked very nice...I don’t eat breakfast at the hotel. I would absolutely stay at Pavilions again.
I was considering Tótem , but was worried about the street noise (which bothered me at AC
Recoletos more than the silly bathroom)

La Catapa was packed with locals when I stopped for lunch,
love the food and the vibe.
I returned from a week in Madrid only two weeks ago, .already plotting another visit !

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Danon, thanks for your comments, glad to see that also you have stayed Jardines and like it. I totally understand you, I dont know what's about Madrid that I always want to go back!
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:50 AM

cruiseluv

Madrid keeps calling me back more than Paris, London ,New York...
I speak Spanish which makes it even more enjoyable.

Have a great time !

Old May 21st, 2019, 12:10 PM

Hi danon,
You've become a devoted Madrid lover, and I know what you feel about not being able to wait to go back!
Quick question about The Pavilions--did they eliminate the little garden pool in the renovation? From the photos and description, it appears that there's still a garden area.

About the Tótem, we've never been bothered by street noise, and we've been staying there since well before the renovation, when it was the Hesperia Hermosilla. But we don't stay during high season or during trade fairs but rather in early or late winter or at the end of July/beginning of August, when the rates drop. The rates at the Jardín de Recoletos are much more competitive.
The only minor issue I have is that only the jr. suites come equipped with Nespresso machines (I'm an espresso addict!), where as all the rooms at the NH Collection hotels have them. But I have the Mercado de la Paz just around the corner for (very) strong café at Casa Dani so in the morning I zip over there for café and a pincho de tortilla.
Old May 21st, 2019, 01:06 PM

thx for the info. I though Tótem was the former HH. I could happily live in that neighbourhood!

I cannot tolerate AC well , so the open window is almost a must.
Of course, we visit in the spring or Oct.
I don’t remember seeing the pool. The dining room looked very nice.

A week in the deluxe room was perfect. ( yes, there was a Nespresso)