looking for quaint hotel in old madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I are spending a few days in Madrid; late February. Interested in tapas areas between Sol and Santa Ana; so Las Letras seems to make sense. But I don’t want to be too far over towards the Prado, as we also plan to explore La Latina.

So, can anyone recommend a quaint, decent priced hotel in Las Letras? I have already investigated and/or contacted some places from Maribel’s Guide and we have a couple we like at least from their sites; but the “Room Mate” type hotels don’t appeal to me. Vinccis are too cold feeling. Opera area is not appealing, and Gran Via is too busy. The Hostales I have seen seems a little too mom-and-pop and seem to lack some privacy. I want something in the middle so to speak. 80-120E range, but I am flexible.

Older area, older building…with some character; not the 1970s style brick façade, if you know what I mean. Nice area with tapas and bars in high concentration, within short walk. Cute neighborhoods, jangled side streets.....what I think of as “old Madrid.”

Cheers,

BK
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM

Hi

What about Hotel Asturias - http://www.hotel-asturias.com? Set on lovely Plaza de Canillejas.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:30 AM

brendankellu73,
Yoi're right. In Las Letras, the Room Mate Alicia and the Vincci Soho are not quaint in look or feel. They're young, hip, trendy.

The Hotel Prado, as you can see from their web page, has a 70s look brick facade and nice, functional rooms-but not "quaint". Ditto to their 4 star sister, the Lope de Vega.

The Catalonia Las Cortes (same street, Calle del Prado) does have a lovely classic look and interior decor and is a converted mansion. In the conversion to hotel they kept many of the original elements such as the frescoed ceilings, polished wood floors and original staircases. But...the rate may be well over 120 E for your particular dates.

The NH Paseo del Prado, formerly Gran Hotel Canarias, is also a reconverted mansion, and rooms, halls (or had) beautiful carpets made by the Royal Tapestry Factory, but it's well beyond your budget. Ditto to the ME Reina Victoria, the gorgeous "wedding cake" structure on Plaza Santa Ana, whose rooms are, once again, very hip, trendy in feel and quite pricey.

So...for quaint in Las Letras, that does leave you with the hostales, the very best of the bunch being Hostal Adriá Santa Ana (on Núñez de Arce, right off Santa Ana), whose rooms do look very charming, quaint and Old Madrid-ish, but there's no elevator (yet). Rooms are located on the 3rd floor. It's a hostal, yes, but with many of the services of a hotel, not so "mom and pop".
www.hostaladriasantaana.com

The Petit Palace Posada del Peine, off the Plaza Mayor, is housed in a classic old Madrid building from 1610, but rooms have that cookie cutter High Tech chain hotel look. See them at www.hthoteles.com

For more "quaint", old Madrid-ish just outside Las Letras, midway between Plaza Santa Ana and La Latina's tapas bars on Cava Baja, you have most everyone's 2 star favorite, the Hotel Plaza Mayor. Their rates will fit very nicely within your budget. It's the closest you're going to get, I think, to what you're seeking.

The Asturias technically isn't in Las Letras, and while low priced, it does get a lot of tour groups.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM

Would definitely recomend the Hotel Plaza Mayor. Nice accomodations at reasonalbe prices and centrally located. Stayed there this past November. Staff is friendly and helpful and rooms are comfortable and attractive for price.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM

You may want to check out www.madridman.com - he has alot of suggestions. Are you going to eat roast suckling pig while you are there? Its a must IMO.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

suckling pig? yes; sign me up!

thanks for the feddback!
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

bttt
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM

brendankelly73,