Hotel in Madrid?

Dec 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Madrid?

I know this question has been raised several times, but the more I read , the more confused I get. We're looking for a well, located reasonably priced (<$100 Euros) hotel or hostal in downtown Madrid. Since we are planning to spend most of our two days at the golden triangle of museums, something close by would be ideal.We were thinking of the Hostal Lopez, or the Carlton. Everytime I read a positive review of a hotel, I then see a negative about the area being seedy or unsafe on another post. Any recommendations?
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:20 AM

It's important to distinguish between seedy and dangerous. I'm one of the posters who commented on this area (regarding the Hotel Villa de la Reina on Gran Via) and said that the area was seedy, and that you need to watch for pickpockets. However, it is so busy all day and all night that I wouldn't worry about violent crime. If you'd like to stay in a nicer neighbourhood (but you might have to take a short bus or subway ride downtown), check out the NH Hotel Zurbano. It's in a beautiful neighbourhood.
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:22 AM
car

zootsi
I dont know if you are refering to the Carlton in Paseo de las delicias as unsafe or seedy but I think that for 100 € is one of the very best options you have.
The hotel is located about a 10 minutes walk from EL prado, Thyseen, Reina Sofia. In a very busy and active part of town, therefore pretty safe.
It is just that Paseo de las Delicias a
long street could be considered moderately unsafe in the lower part towards Legazpi, but this is more than one mile away from the hotel.
The only thing you have to be careful with is pickpockets, but they will rather go after someone coming out of the Ritz or the Palace hotels.
Dec 18th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

anyone else?
Dec 18th, 2003, 11:21 AM

zootsi,
I have a differing opinion on the Carlton.
The Carlton's location, south of Atocha station, personally isn't my favorite part of town. While it's in itself a nice hotel and yes, just a 10 min. walk from the 3 museums, it's just too close to the train station and a bit too far south for me. And the further south, the more "seedy" it becomes. The Atocha area does attract its share of vagrants and yes, pickpockets. A friend of mine was pickpocket when walking from the Hotel Mora to Atocha. (But this isn't to say your pocket can't be picked just as easily around the Prado or the Ritz, of course). My personal preference (and everyone of course is different) is to avoid hotels close to train stations primarily for that reason. The areas immediately around train stations can be a bit rough around the edges. The Carlton is used by many packaged tours as it represents a good value, but for me, it's not Madrid's most attractive, upmarket or lively district for a first time visitor, particularly for enjoying the city's vibrant nightlife and tapas bar scene.
Also the Carlton doesn't have a plethora of nice, interesting tapas and wine bars surrounding it as do the hotels and hostals around the lively Plaza de Santa Ana in Old Madrid.

I'd consider the Reina Victoria right on the Plaza Santa Ana itself (Cova has stayed there twice recently and has given it good reports), but I would request an interior room. I would check internet discount rates. The chain it now belongs to, www.solmelia.com, has very competitive wkd. rates and last minute deals.

Fodorites have also found great, under 100 euro internet rates at the 4 star Hotel Green Lope de Vega, which is extremely convenient for the Prado.
www.travel-in-spain.com has a 108 euro special rate, but I've heard of rates for even less.

The 4 star Hotel Suecia, very close to the Thyssen and the Prado, can be had for 100 euros double, but Kate W should tell you about her opinion of the rooms.

If you want a something for around or even under 80 euros, more of a hostal but with some hotel bell and whistles such as TV, in room safe and a/c and attractive decor, look at the Hotel Plaza Mayor facing the renovated Plaza de Santa Cruz. More comfy and prettier than the Hostal Lopez, I think.
www.h-plazamayor.com

Hope this helps.