Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich, Salzburg or Split 2 Nights-Want your Opinion

Dec 17th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Munich (after getting over jetlag for a day in London) in May. We are picking up a car in Munich on the morning of the 13th and we need to drive to Venice by the evening of the 15th. We would like your opinion on the following options we have for 2 nights:
1) Stay in Munich 2 nights
2) Stay in Salzburg 2 nights
3) Split 2 nights between Munich and Salzburg
We are sure we will be able to visit Germany and Austria in the next few years to explore further. One reason we are thinking about Salzburg is to shorten the drive to Venice (probably by an hour vs. Munich to Venice) and a best friend loves Salzburg. I am concerned about driving through the mountains (fear of heights), so is driving from Munich or Salzburg less mountains? I would appreciate your opinions!! Thanks!
Dec 17th, 2003, 07:02 PM
RAR

Stay in Salzburg. You can see everything that the avg person wants to see in Salzburg in 2 days, while Munich takes longer.
Dec 17th, 2003, 07:44 PM

fear not...there is no hair raising driving in what you propose...i drove to salzburg from munich last month and it was a lovely highway drive with broad views....salzburg is small and easy to see in a limited few hours, although longer is preferable....how about making it a stop for a few hours and then continue further and get a place on the way to venice...??
Dec 17th, 2003, 07:44 PM

you can do the major sights in munich in one full day, without any museum time...
Dec 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Ooh what a choice. I love both places.
Salzburg in the old town is charming.
Munich is much larger and has more to see. ???

Perhaps you need to weight your time against your preferences. What would you like to see?

With your limited time, you could come closer to seeing most of what Salzburg has to offer. The old town is the best part and it is fairly small in terms of area.

You did not say which month. January?
I hope the snow stays away.

You are not going to get to Italy without traversing mountains, or going under them in tunnels.

Going to Salzburg first does not take you much closer if at all to Venice.
Salzburg is east of Venice and the route from there takes you farther east before you turn west and south to Venice. Saving time is no reason for Salzburg.

From Munich your route would take you to Innsbruck and through the Brenner Pass to Italy. Then through Bozen to Trento.

From Trento, there is a road that was under construction that went directly toward Padova and cut off Verona. I am sure someone can tell us if that road is open now. I would expect that it is open. I have not been that way recently and my map is 3 years old. (Anybody got a new map or direct experience.)

From Salzburg, you would head south on the autobahn to Villach. That route has tunnels under the Austrian Alps. (you pay toll).
Near Villach, before reaching Klagenfurt, there is a major intersection. The route you want turns west at that point toward Udine and Venice.

I think you need to get a good map of the area to plot your route in detail.
It is fairly long with several key intersections where you must know which way to turn.

Traffic moves very fast and if you miss a key intersection, there is considerable backtracking involved because European super highways do not have exits and entrances every 4 to 10 miles like US ones.

One thing about the Brenner Pass route, it is a major route and it is kept open if at all possible. On the other hand, it is full of big trucks. But most north-south European routes are in my experience.

When we drove over the Brenner, it was relatively routine. My wife, who is a sure hand at the wheel, was driving, and I was navigating. Thank heavens the euro makes paying toll easier!!
No scrambling for schillings or lira to cough up the fee.
Dec 17th, 2003, 08:14 PM
RAR

"Without any museum time" is the key phrase there, since basically all the major attractions of Munich are museums (the great art galleries, the Deutsch museum, the BMW museum etc). Not to mention lounging in the English Gardens.
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! Per Rhkkmk's comment, any suggestions on places to stop on the way to Venice from Salzburg? I am still not sure what to do!
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. Munich is great and so is Salzburg. Renting a car in Munich will not help you with seeing Munich, nor will it help you with seeing Salzburg, nor will it help you with seeing Venice!
Decide which city you want to visit and use the train to get to Venice ( you certainly don't need a car in Venice!). In May, you could have snow in the Alpine areas and the train ride either way would be scenic....then you can get more time in whichever city you pick!
Taking the train in Europe is a fun experience and German trains are very clean and prompt!
Dec 18th, 2003, 11:27 AM

What Bob said makes alot of sense. You should decide on the route that will be the best to take. You may want to stay at 2 places along the way. Once you decide on your definate route it will be easier to decide.