De Las Letras - Madrid, Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed here recently? I'm trying to make a recommendation for a friend heading to Spain who will be in Madrid for two days and our review of this property in Fodor's Spain 2008 sounded like a good fit. The biggest priorities are the hotel's location and "character". A cozy hotel bar for a nightcap is a plus.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM

It's a Design Hotel and quite nice, but if a cozy hotel bar is a major requirement, that's not really a Madrid thing. A stop by Cervantes would be more traditional since nightcaps usually occur well past midnight.

The ME in Plaza Santa Ana is much nicer, but a lot more expensive. I suggest you take a look at Catalonia Las Cortes or Villa Real.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert-- I'll look into the ones you mention. My friend is a real night owl---so perhaps the neighborhood is the higher priority.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Katie, it really depends on your friendīs age and how much are they planning to spend.

The De las Letras is lovely, but I might think into one of the RoomMate ( the Alicia in Plaza Santa Ana or the Oscar in Chueca ), and go out in the area.

Bye, Cova
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Hi Katie,
If you'd like a few more reviews, I've personally reviewed all of those hotels in my Madrid file on my Spain travel page. Might help you to find that "perfect fit".
www.maribelsguides.com

Villa Real p. 127
ME, p. 126
Las Cortes, p. 118
De las Letras, p. 117
Oscar, p. 112
Alicia, p. 110

While De las Letras is a nice blend of the designer trendy (cozy chill out roof bar, buzzy downstairs bar/restaurant) and the classic (beautifully restored Belle Epoque building), I don't personally like the location on the frenetic "not so grand anymore" Gran Vía, although it's on the nicer, lower stretch of it, where the Neoclassical building facades have been restored. It's a Habitat hotel, if that style holds appeal. However, it's not as handy to the Museum Mile as the Las Cortes (not at all trendy, more classically elegant), the Villa Real (ditto) and the Room Mate Alicia (trendy/cool/urban hip).

The ME (former bullfighters' Reina Victoria) has oodles of "character" and a sleek Midnight Rose restaurant (by Randy Gerber &co.), fantastic roof top terrace, The Penthouse, with cocktail bar and lots of cozy alcove seating (must reserve!!), which I love. The chill out roof bars are very in vogue, and I think this one is the best, along with the Derby Urban's, much smaller (and its Glass Bar at the street level is a good nightcap spot). But the ME is generally pricier than De Las Letras; however, rooms are way more plush. (p.s. a Barcelona ME will be opening soon).

For considerably less money, I also like the Room Mates executive rooms. My favorites: the Alicia for its great location on Plaza Santa Ana and the Oscar, very near the always lively gay district of Chueca but also handy to museums. I call them "designer trendy on a budget", their interiors done by Pascua Ortega (designer to royalty) and Tomás Alía (nightclub designer) respectively. Both offer that free buffet brk. served until noon (great for night owls O and free Wi-Fi. Plus I find the desk staffs of both super friendly and helpful. And both have attached bar/restaurant, and the Oscar's GIFT stays open quite late.

Both the Santa Ana location of Alicia and Chueca location of Oscar are chock-a-block with inexpensive eateries as well (most of the "frugal gourmet" selections I've added to my guide are in those 2 areas).

So my picks for a young, urban hipster would be:

ME (if expense isn't an issue)

or Room Mates Oscar or Alicia

(I think the Derby Urban is just plain over-priced)

Hope this helps a bit more.

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

ME looks pretty swank; they have what appears to be a very small "deluxe" room for 170 euros a night which seems reasonable.

Thanks for the very detailed impressions---certainly go a long way. I'll report back where he ends up.

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Hi Katie,
I've seen all the categories of rooms at the ME-no "bad" rooms at all-they're all very, very comfy and have that signature MAXIbar. I love the totally character filled ME!

It will be interesting to see which hotel he picks!

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Katie, 170 euros is a great price for the ME. It seems that the crisis is arriving to the luxury hotels ...

If they are the rooms that used to be the interior rooms in the old Reina Victoria, they were extremely quiet. I would certainly get it. Location is great.

Bye, Cova
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Hi cova,
I agree about the rates at the lux properties-in fact, I've been tracking the ME rates, and that's the lowest I've seen (I've seen doubles recently for 180 on bancotel).

And they've done a very good job of double glazing on the exterior rooms too. I've found the ME far quieter upstairs in the guest rooms than the Urban. These completely redesigned rooms just ooze relaxation, and they're filled with natural light.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

So he went ahead and booked ME for two nights for €350 total. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM

ME is the *perfect* hotel for night owls! Superb choice!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM

What is the best hotel for the non-night owl?
Going to Madrid for 3 mights, museums, eating,the park, maybe flamenco. Quiet rooms, comfortable beds are top priority.
An outdoor public spot like a terrace or garden would be a delightful amenity.
Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

hellokittie,
What's your budget?

The best and most luxurious property for a non night owl in the most beautiful location would be the 5 star AC Palacio del Retiro, right across from the Retiro park. Rooms there are a haven of peace and tranquility but come with a high price tag (250 euros, more or less).

The sister to the above, with lovely outdoor garden (and indoor pool) is the 5 star AC Santo Mauro, but it's further afield in the Chamberí embassy district. It's where Beckham lived for his first months before purchasing a home, and it's a Gywnth Paltrow favorite.
www.ac-hotels.com

The 5 star Hospes Madrid at the Alcalá gate always boasts a lovely location at the edge of the posh Salamanca quarter, and rates have been lowered since there's underground street construction at the entrance (which wouldn't bother you during the day as you're out and about). Unlike the Palacio del Retiro, it does have a Bodyna spa with tiny pool and an outdoor terrace garden (but they've recently lost their super star chef at their Senzone restaurant).
www.hospes.es

Our haven of peace and quiet in the Salamanca district is the 3 star Hesperia Hermosilla in a very posh corner of retail heaven. No garden, no terrace, but it does have an atrium lobby lounge. Wi Fi is free, works well, comfy beds, and it's a short walk to Retiro Park and all rooms are quiet, especially the dormer ones. This neighborhood is Madrid's very quietest on weekends when its wealthy denizens head to their weekend homes in the Sierra Norte.
www.hoteles-hesperia,es