Portugal Lisbon - English??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a July trip this year (12 days) in Portugal/Lisbon. I've been to Spain/Andalucia but never Portugal. I don't speak the language, but my wife knows enough spanish to get around in Spain. We don't like packaged tours and like to travel about on our own. I need help with:

1) could we get around okay with english and a little spanish?
2) would 2 nights in Avila or Segovia be reasonable to do, considering the distance, and if so, is there rail service between Lisbon and Avila or Segovia?
3) what are the "must do" or "must see" things in the Lisbon area (or within a day trip distance)? We like art, sightseeing, food/drink, music, boat excursions, history (eg. fortresses, old town areas, walled towns, etc.) and
4) generally speaking, what's the public transportation situation in Portugal?
Thanks all for your suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM

You will be OK in central Lisboa with English. Just learn a couple of key Portuguese phrases--like Bom Dia--to charm the Lisboetas.

Best museum in Lisboa is Gulbenkian. It is easily accessed by the Metro.

Other interests in Lisboa (the birthplace of my ex-husband, Rogerio) include: Castelo Sao Jorge, Coaches Museum, Elevator Santa Justa, Alfama, and Jeronimos Monastery.

You really should see Sintra, one of the most beautiful places in Portugal.

Ines de Castro
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM

1. yes
2. could be done, but difficult, no direct service (it is an 8 hour drive between Lisbon and Segovia
3. in addition to those listed above, we enjoyed the Maritime Museum
4. 2nd Sintra, we took a day trip there; we hired a car and driver (found on the internet) and it was pretty reasonable-- he was not a tour guide, but simply drove us to where we wanted to go-- we went to Cabo de Roca for the "snappy photo"
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM

utrechtman writes:
<< 1) could we get around okay with english and a little spanish? >>
Forget Spanish in Portugal unless it's Galego/Portugues, one of Spain's recognized languages (spoken in Galicia). From my experience, the Portuguese people don't like to be spoken to in Castellano.

<< 2) would 2 nights in Avila or Segovia be reasonable to do, considering the distance, and if so, is there rail service between Lisbon and Avila or Segovia? >>
There's a rail line between San Sebastian (Guipuzgoa, Spain) and Porto, Portugal. I believes it calls at Salamanca, Sp.

<< 3) what are the "must do" or "must see" things in the Lisbon area >>
Spend an evening in a Fado nightclub.

<< 4) generally speaking, what's the public transportation situation in Portugal? >>
There's high speed rail (Alfa Pendular) Lisbon - Porto and Lisbon - Algarve. Lisbon has an excellent Metro System and there are local and cross-country Buses that will take you just about anywhere
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM

In two weeks in Portugal last Fall, we only ran into a couple of instances where we couldn't find anyone who spoke at least a little bit of English, in very rural, out-of-the-way towns. French would have been a better second language there than Spanish.

You could spend the entire time in Lisbon - with the recommended day trips to Sintra, Cascais and/or Evora - but, really, driving isn't that difficult. Do consider renting a car for a few days. Portugal is a gorgeous country.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM

Fair warning though about Portuguese. Although the words are spelled similarly to Spanish, the s, ch, z, j, and x, and many vowels, are pronounced completely differently. Don't expect to be able to hear Portuguese and try to guess the words by translating into Spanish.

Examples (as best determined by my tone-deaf ears):
<u>Lisboetas</u> (Lisbon residents) = Leesh-boo-EH-tahsh
<u>Queque</u> (muffin) = keck
<u>Pasteis de Bel&eacute;m</u> (custard pastry) = Pah-STAYSH duh Buh-LAYM
<u>Esta&ccedil;&atilde;o de Santa Apolonia</u> (Santa Apolonia train station) = Shtuh-SOW duh Sant-ah-poo-LAWN-ee-a
<u>Queijo</u> (cheese) = KAY-zhoo
<u>Dois</u> (two, masculine) = doysh

The point being that may letters are elided, omitted, or just mumbled together, so what you'll hear is gibberish when you're expecting to hear something that sounds like Spanish. Try to at least get a CD or something for your ipod so that you can <b>hear</b> Portuguese and get somewhat accustomed to the intonations, even if you're not necessarily trying to learn how to speak, write, or think in Portuguese. You'll pick up a few words by osmosis anyway. But definitely learn pleasantries like bom dia (good morning/good day), boa tarde (good afternoon), obrigado (thank you), and sim/n&atilde;o (yes/no).
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Also, in Portuguese "R" is pronounced like "H". Robin would be pronounced Ho-bon.

"J" is pronounce like "J," not like "H" in Spanish.

"s" at the end of a word is often pronounced like "j" or ZZ in Zza Zza Gabor

Ines is pronounced Inej. Cascais is pronounced Caj Caij.

My husband could NEVER understand Brazilians when they spoke.

Fat Lady
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM

Try:
http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tt...le.php?sitepal

Select Portuguese language, Amalia (european speaker), copy and paste tdyls' suggestions and have fun listening to the outcome.
I'm able to assure it is perfectly spoken.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
For a great summary of activities in and around Lisbon, the first few pages of this very long thread can't be beat: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...und-lisbon.cfm
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for you ideas and suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM

Don't take a Tour Bus to Belém: They advertise places that are all within walking distance from los Jeronimos Monastery (i.e., Centro Culural de Belém, Museo de la Marinha and several other Museums, Discoveries Monument, Torre de Belém etc.) then they park in front of Jeronimos Monastery and let you walk and explore. You do better taking MetroLisboa to Caís do Sodré and Taxi from there.

If you walk on the Quay side west from Caís do Sodré (old Ferry Terminal) about 500m, you'll encounter a Portugalia restaurant where you can have a nice dining experience on the banks of the Tagus.