Portugal for 8 full days

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal for 8 full days

I am headed to Portugal for the first time the first week of April, which is Holy Week (we go home on Easter Sunday). I know it'll be hectic, but was thinking of trying to see Lisbon, Porto, and somewhere in the Algarve. Is this doable? Are these the best places to split our time? Is driving reccomended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM

Yes, it's doable. We did the same, stayed in Lisboa for 3 days and drove to Algarve were we rented a house for 3 days.

Driving was hell and I've driven all over South America and I've crossed the States several times. Portugal has the highest car accident/dead ratio in Europe and after driving there I'm a believer, they tailgate you at 100 miles/hour. Take the trains if you are a nervous driver. But regardless you can do it, although is about a 4 hrs drive.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could easily spend all that time in Lisbon (including Belem, Sintra, etc), so I'd suggest picking two places. Either Lisbon and Porto - my choice and connected by train - or Lisbon and Algarve. If you really want to add a third place, pick one between Lisbon and Porto.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM

I fully back Thursday's opinion. Lisbon and Porto are ok for 8 days. If you want a taste of southern Portugal, Evora is only about 1.5 hours from Lisbon and saves you a lot of dribving hours. Check Jamikins and BikerScott excellent report. Baileys is also one of my favourites, but they had more time to explore the country.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 01:19 AM

It really depends on what type of traveler you are. The North and the South have very different personalities. If it were my first time to Portugal, I think I would concentrate on Lisbon, including Sintra. Then, go over to Evora and after that head North and see Obidos, Coimbra and Porto (or any combo of those). I would rent a car on my departure from Lisbon to visit these cities.

We have a house in the Algarve and it is lovely, but it is like the FL of Europe. By that, I mean, it is a relaxation, cool out, hang out at the barbeque and beach and maybe golf type of place. That isn't the typical trip that an American would want over here. Still, I just got back and it was wonderful.

I like driving because it means more freedom. I find the driving in PT completely reasonable though fast. Just make sure you get a diesel as petrol is very spendy.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM

We spent 8 days in Portugal in Oct '10 and loved it. It's a beautiful country (and very reasonable) We started in Porto and worked our way down the coast to Lisbon. Here's my report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-portugal.cfm
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM

The Algarve is 2 1/2 hours from Lisbon. If you like to see some of the most beautiful beaches and coast lines of Europe, I strongly recommend going south to Algarve for 3 days. Driving in Portugal is less painless than Spain or Italy.
Avoid the south coast of the Algarve, it is full of hotels. Try the west coast, Sagres to Aljezur. There is a nice country road going along the coast, starting in Sines and going down south. (N120) Aljezur is still one of the hidden paths. One hotel, one hostel and a lot of private houses or B&B´s. If you like ocean and beach, good food and wine, you will have a treat.