Bullfight in Lisbon

Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullfight in Lisbon

I read there is a bullfight outside of Lisbon from Easter till October on Thurs. evening and some Sundays. The bullring is Proca de Touros. Then I read later that the bullfights don't start till June. Does anyone have any info regarding this?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM

I love Portugal but I hate bull-fighting! Grrrrrr!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:40 AM

Why do you want to see a living animal being tortured?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM

I think it's disgraceful that bull fighting continues, it's dreadful.

Sorry tidy, but I doubt your question will be answered you are just going to be cyber hit around the back of the head until you decide not to go.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Oh so sorry. I figured that in Portugal where they do not kill the animal would be more doable.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM

I'll try to answer Tidy's questions.
The regular season opens in 31st March 2011.
There are bullfights at Sundays and Thursdays (10pm).
Praça de Touros (Bullring) Campo Pequeno is served by Metro Station Campo Pequeno. Campo Pequeno bullring is a kind of small Mall with Parking and restaurants underground, and serves multiple shows around the year in several fields.

There are several kinds of corridas. "Mista" is a mix Portuguese/Spanish (as the name says) with some Portuguese bullfighters on horse back and some Spanish on foot, but these later simulate the killing since it is forbiden in Portugal.

"Corrida a antiga Portuguesa" is all in horseback.

"Corrida de gala à antiga Portuguesa" is quite a show. It's about 4 hours, 2 of which is a historic parade with the 18th century cerimonial. The logistics are so complex that Campo Pequeno usualy hosts only one of these corridas yearly.

http://www.tauromania.pt/xms/dbimage...la09_002.1.jpg

The central piece of Portuguese bullfights is the Lusitanian horse, the glory and pride of Portugal.

http://www.licencephoto.com/mini_pho...rse_Family.jpg

Bullfight was a way to keep men and horses ready for the war duties during the peace periods (which have been short in Portuguese history). The men in horseback represent the nobility and that's why they dress in fancy clothes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W0OY-rG5uo...P+Batalha).JPG

http://i.olhares.com/data/big/303/3031703.jpg

The forcados represent the common people. They face the bull with bare hands and sometimes they get badly injured.

http://i.olhares.com/data/big/134/1344774.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hUZoHTUV9y...cados+cite.jpg
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you much for the info, very interesting.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM

2 more notes to conclude my participation on this subject. Fighting bulls and Lusitanian horses did not emerge spontaneously in nature. They are the result of centuries of breeding to reach their current status.
Fighting bulls are not pet animals. They represent 1000 pounds of lethal force in movement.
If the horses run to the bulls in straight line, they would be killed, and the bullfigher likely would be killed too. The pair horse/man must perform a kind of coreography where the bull must be at a distance of an arm from the bullfigher, and nevertheless, a competent horse rider can't allow the bull to touch the horse.
In other words, in some moments of the bullfight, the bull must be close enough, but never too close.
The Lusitanian horse was developed to fight bulls. The best of them can fight the bulls, with a mininal interaction from bullfigther. The top bullfighers sometimes fight with their hands free, to show that most of the work is done by the horse itself. This is accomplished by thousands of hours of work. In many occupations, the professionals rely on other people to do the hard work, however, in the bullfight industry, professionals have a half a dozen of horses and they practice with them extensively on a daily basis.

A final note to show that bullfight and beauty are sometimes traveling together.

http://www.isabelramos.com/intro/index.html

In the next link, check the movement of horse "Malibu" to check what kind of coregraphy I was referring to.

http://www.isabelramos.com/quadra/index.html
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:48 AM

I despair sometimes when people use words such as "beauty", "choreography","tradition" to describe and justify the tormenting and killing of an animal. Whether they kill the bull in this particular form of barbarism is not pertinent to whether it should take place. If an animal suffers, then stop it.

The apologists use all these words and more to justify the unjustifiable, but the simulated kill or actual kill are something which approaches an orgasm for these sad people. They need to look really closely at themselves to examine why they get a high from torture and/or death. What is it inside people like this that leads them to believe it's OK?

I include all those who get a kick from shooting, chasing or otherwise killing anything.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM

I don't remeber using the word "tradition". I used the word "beauty" referring to a young lady and I most definitely used the word "choreography" (sorry for the misspelling).
The remaining of the comment requires a psychoanalytic approach, which I believe is outside the OP's concern.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM

I believe in the right to arm Bulls!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM

Maybe it should be within his concern if he wants to sit through such a spectacle. How anyone can sickens me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM

Lifeman's comments are completely ridiculous. Torture means causing severe pain. The description by lobo-mau doesn't invoke any such thing. Wave your PETA membership card and vegan menu somewhere else where you won't insult a national tradition that harms no one and no creature.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM

A typical uncaring attitude from an uninformed and uncaring person. Torture exists on many levels without "extreme pain" and the very presence of an animal somewhere it wouldn't choose to be if it could, like in a ring surrounded by a baying crowd is as much torture as anything else.

One doesn't have to be a member of anything or eat specific things to abhor such behaviour in others. It is ridiculous to be so oblivious to the plight of other living things on this planet for one's own selfish aims.

Perhaps the Chinese Government's attitude to human rights is a "National Tradition" or KKK in the US or North Korea's attitude to world peace or bear baiting or bear bile harvesting.

"That harms no-one and no creature"? That you can conveniently turn a blind eye to, you mean.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Lifeman, keep your baseless platitudes to your self. If you cannot make an argument based on actual facts, then be silent.

Torture by definition means causing EXTREME or INTENSE pain (see Random house Dictionary, World English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster Dictionary). Your malleable subjective definition is just that -- yours. And your ignorant rant means that any creature not allowed free range of movement is tortured.

The Chinese, N. Korean, Nazi, Iranian, Soviet, etc. governments' treatment of prisoners are covered by the real definition of torture, your reductio ad absurdium discussion notwithstanding. Portuguese rodeos don't qualify.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM

One of I'd guess, many things that aren't big about you, is your compassion for your fellow creatures.

There are millions of people the world over who find this activity and its like abhorrent, including those in Spain, France and Portugal.

To attempt to educate you a little, here's the definition in Chambers English Dictionary:

torture noun 1 the infliction of severe pain or mental suffering, especially as a punishment or as a means of persuading someone to give information. 2 a great physical or mental suffering; b a cause of this. verb (tortured, torturing) 1 to subject someone to torture. 2 to cause someone to experience great physical or mental suffering. 3 to force something out of its natural state or position; to distort.