??? re small hotel rooms

Search

??? re small hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? re small hotel rooms

I am reading reviews on trip advisor about hotel rooms. Seems that is common to Paris. One hotel reviewer said a room at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais was miniscule..well I guess I am curious. How small is small?...at what point is it too small?

Are there any comments on this?..we travel in our small rv so maybe we wouldn't be so sure the rooms are small but I need some feedback.

Thanks..hmmm! Maybe this is too hard to answer.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM

You can always ask the hotel what the dimensions of the room are. As for how big a room you need, figure out what the dimensions of your living room or bedroom are, and use that as a point of comparison.

You're the only one who can judge what "too small" is.

The smallest I've ever seen (not in Europe, though) was a single room that was about 4' x 10', but I'm pretty sure that's very uncommon.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:49 PM

We had a room at the nearby Hotel de la Bretonnerie that really had no space on either side of the bed. Very tiny; we had to walk sideways to get out of bed, and we aren't big people. I agree with the above poster that asking about room dimensions is probably a very good idea.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Generally, and I mean generally, hotels in older, historic buildings, mansions or manor houses, tend to be rather small when compared to the larger international hotels. You should be able to check out the size of the hotel room on line, or via email, if you have any questions. This is not always the way, since we have stayed at several smaller hotels where the rooms where as large as a small house with bathrooms as large as some people's living rooms. It all depends on where you book and how much homework you’ve done before hand.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:44 AM
ira

Too small is when you can stand in the center of the bed and touch two walls.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:31 AM

But, it's a good bed if you can stand on it!
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:51 AM

In general, European hotel rooms are smaller than those in the US. Especially in older buildings, there emay be considerable variation in the size of rooms. If you stay at a propery that is part of a US chain (e.g., Hilton) the room is likely larger, but may not be as large as in the US. This has been explained to me as owing to a perspective that the hotel room is a place for vacationers to to sleep and attend to personal hygiene, with the bulk of time spent out enjoying the place being visited.
The absolute smallest room I ever had was in London at a reputed 4 star property. The lobby was quite nice, but the room not so - the single bed left no room on either side, the bathroom door literaly brushed the end of the bed when opened and couldn't be closed if one was on the throne. Ever since I have learned that if the room assigned seems to small (or noisy or otherwise undesirable)to immeditely ask to see alternative rooms. Some recommend asking to see a room before completing check in and luggage schlepping, but I rarely do this.
IMHO, if you are accustomed to the small space of an RV you should not have a problem most places.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM

I think you just have to consider the atmosphere you are looking for, the location, the price and then do what you can to find out about the size of the room (s) you'll be staying in and make your best choice. My last trip to London and Paris was done through a airline/hotel package from United Airlines. The cost was controlled by the choice of hotel. We selected 4 stars and I was happy with the choices. We stayed at the Hotel Lancaster on Lancaster Terrace in London and the Ambassador on Blvd. Haussman, close to the Opera, in Paris. The rooms were actually quite large, the bathrooms were wonderful, and I liked the locations. Having said that, these were more business type hotels and probably lacking the "charm" that some travelers are looking for. From what I have learned on this and other forums, some of the rooms can be quite small. Perhaps some of the ratings for hotels on Trip Advisor may mention room sizes. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful to you and hope you are comfortable where ever you choose to stay.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM

My general finding is that hotel rooms in London and in Paris are small! I made the mistake of selecting the Country Inn and Suites in South Kensington, and even though I opted for a so called executive twin room, it was tiny.

Then, when we returned from a trip elsewhere, we were put in a room that had one little bed in it. I found out what tiny really was.

I complained that it not the room I had reserved, which it wasn't. We ended up in a hotel on Finchley Road well out from the center. It was not much better, but at least we could turn around.

In Paris we had a room that was so small that two people could not be moving at the same time without someone being in the way.

Rooms in Munich and Vienna are somewhat larger. I regularly stay at the Astoria in Munich and "my" room is really spacious. The same was true of the Alt Wienerhof in Vienna and the Carlton Opera in Vienna.

The best room I have had anywhere in Europe was at the Brick House B and B near Chepstow, Wales. It was a lovely room with a very comfortable parlor downstairs and a nice breakfast area.

Anyone visiting south Wales should consider Brick House. It is on a working farm, which adds to the ambience. I had not been stirred out of bed by a cow mooing in a long time.
Sort of pleasant, really.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM
amelia

Hey, if you're traveling in a small RV, you are in good shape for Paris hotel rooms. I may have been the poster on TripAdvisor talking about the small rooms at the Caron de Beaumarchais. It was not too small, however. Too small was the double room I once had at the Hotel le Regent. Thank goodness I was staying in it by myself--my two girls were staying in another room and my husband couldn't make the trip.

Here's the thing--would I go back to both hotels? Absolutely! We had a later stay at the Hotel le Regent in two superior rooms.

And you can ask about the room size. No desk person I've contacted has been offended. In fact, one hotel where I'm booked for MLKing weekend has on its website the square meters of the room.

Being American, though, that's no help--still can't think in meters

Good luck, loisco.

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 02:09 PM

It's very easy to convert from square meters to square feet.

Suppose a room is X m^2.

Take the square root of X.
Multiply by 39.37 to get inches.
Divide by 12 to get feet.
Take this result to the power of 2.

Now you have the result in square feet.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM

I reserved a regular double room at Paris' Hotel Le Verneuil. The room held the bed and a desk and that was all it could fit in there. After two nights I was going nuts as there was nowhere to walk around. Well, I ended up spending some time in the bathroom to break the monotony as it was almost as large as the bedroom.

But the location and the hotel can't be beat and it's become me absolute favorite Parisian hotel now. I have reserved a deluxe double this time!
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 03:25 PM

There's a much easier way to calculate room size from meters to feet: 1 square meter = 9 square feet. (This is based on a meter being 3 feet - and obviously it is actually 3" bigger - but close enough for government work.)

Example: a room that is 9' by 12' is108 sq ft - or 12 sq meters.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

francophile...well what is a deluxe double?. That hotel Verneuil is on my possible list too....wow! I thought because we had an rv that is fairly small it wouln't be hard for but hanging out in the bathroom is not for me, lol.

Thanks for the nfo.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM

We stayed in one of the Thistle Hotels in London and it was nt small at all. It had two twin beds, tabel and chairs, dressing table and a tea server. THe bath was small but overall I didn't think it was any smaller than lots of U.S. Hotels.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Loisco, I don't have the exact measurements of the Verneuil's deluxe double rooms. But if you contact the hotel they will tell you.

In my eyes, the deluxe double room my relative reserved was lots larger than my tiny reg. double. You could walk around the room comfortably, there was a canopied bed, a desk, and the bathroom had two bathrobes. However, there was no bidet but I doubt that is going to worry you. The room faced rue de Verneuil so it was bright and there was a window that you could open. It was not a ceiling to floor French window however, just a regular window. My aunt loved it ALOT! Plus she loved to take some long soaks in the bathtub.

BTW, both the reg. and deluxe doubles had full bathrooms with a tub/shower combo. plus a glass shield which helped somewhat. But with my luck I still managed to splash a little water on the floor.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:52 AM

one square meter is about 11 square feet not 9 square feet.