Reserving a hotel room and number of people

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm meeting up with a friend in Brussels, and I haven't coordinated *when* but want to reserve my hotel room at least for the night before my return flight.

I noticed that I can get a pretty good deal for a room described as having "double beds" - I take this to mean the typical 2-twin bed layout. But if I change my search options from 1 room for 1 person to 1 room for 2 people, the rate goes up for the same type of room.

Is there likely to be any problem if I book as 1 person in 1 room and show up with my friend, who could take the other bed? I'm used to the U.S. idea that I pay for the room, and unless I'm showing up with a circus it's not their business if I have a +1. But I don't want to offer my friend the option of sharing my room if I show up to check-in and find myself in a culturally-incited melee. Has anyone got experience with this?

Also, to be specific I mean sharing my room, not my bed. If anyone's ever reserved a room with two twin beds in a hotel and been surprised with one double bed or (I've heard of it) another person splitting the room, please warn me!

Off-topic but still on the theme of saving a buck, does anyone know the average cost of parking added to a hotel room? Is that common in Europe to have a car park for the hotel?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you need a room for 1 book a room for 1. If you are pretty sure you need a room for 2 book a room for 2. European hotels (w/ a few rare exceptions) don't operate like stateside properties. Very few places have two double beds. The listing probably means "the rooms have double beds", not "the room has two double beds". There are twin bedded rooms - but you may not be able to guarantee one if you book as a single.

A room for double occupancy will almost always cost more than a single room.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM

Europe usually means 1 double bed (those small ones) when it says "double bed". Many hotels also have single rooms with 1 bed. If you want 2 beds, say so or you might be sharing that bed if your friend shows up. If you book in an American chain like Holiday Inn, etc., you might get 2 beds, or not.

Many city hotels do not have parking garages, space limitations in these old cities.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM

The reason the price goes up is because you are expected to pay based on the number of people using the room. If you pay for 1 and the hotel finds out there were 2 in the room, you are going to definitely have a "culturally-incited melee" on your hands.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM

And, breakfast is likely included---for 2.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, thanks. Good to know about the parking! I'd forgotten to budget garage fees into my travel budget...
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless the hotel website specifically mentions parking you can pretty much assume there is none. If there is -- it will probably cost a LOT. Public parking garages are also expensive . . .
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're two people, you need to tell them that. Not just sneak your friend in, regardless of the bed configuration.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM

A double room will have one large bed for 2 people. Two separate beds (narrow, like you slept in as a child) is known as twin beds. Either room will do for 2 people.

A room for 1 person will usually have 1 twin bed - and no possible place to put a second person.

A rrom for 1 person will be cheaper ( and a lot smaller) than one for 2 people.

Hotels in European cities do not have garages unless they specifically say so. If they have them the cost will be high - or they can reco a nearby garage. Generally about $35 or $40 per night (seems OK to me, since that's what you'll pay in Manhattan too.)
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

@nytraveler, thanks, since it sounds like you're not guaranteed two separate beds I'll prob. end up booking two rooms. re: Manhattan, next time your friends are in town, you could suggest they park in an LES garage... much cheaper. Then again, I'm a really light packer, so I dump my car and take the subway everywhere once I'm there.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM

If you book a accor chain hotel room, they rent the room and it is not pp. Look at ibis, etap, hotelformule1 (bath down the hall), etc. See: Accorhotels.com.
Also, priceline does room not pp. Try laterooms.com also. They usually do rooms, not pp.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM

If you mean a lower east side garage that is useless, since we're on the upper west.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM

The Accor site still asks how many people will be in the room, and counts children above some age limit as an adult. They often cannot serve 3+ adults in one room, so you will be unable to sneak that 3rd person in there. There are fire codes the hotels must observe and this is partly based on occupancy rate. You really do not want to stay in a hotel that does not follow fire code rules.