Raw Amber

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Alex

Raw Amber

I am going to Russia on a St. pEtersberg to Moscow river cruise. I am looking for a source in one of the cities to buy raw amber (not already in jewlery form...but can be in olished rock form) Anybody know where I might look? Thank you.<BR><BR>Alex

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:48 AM
jen

uh-oh...somebody's going to clone a raptor...<BR><BR>but seriously, Alex, I hope somebody can help you.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Marc David Miller

Try on the Old Arbat in Moscow (few souvenir stores will have raw amber, but there is one in particular that carries it--I will try to find the address and post it later.<BR><BR>Forget about finding it in the smaller towns on the river (it is from the Baltics).

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Marc David Miller

The souvenir store is on Arbat, 27, a large store on the south west corner of the Old Arbat. <BR><BR>Their pricing on most items is very fair, and the selection is great. Over the last few years (most recently last Sunday) I have bought from them Cossack shirts, napkin rings, children's rockers, linens, as well as some jewelry, watches and other gifts.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:53 AM
mimi

Alex: We are sailing on the Viking Pakhomov on the revewse itinerary. When are you travelling? Which ship? I, too, am hoping to purchase amber, but in jewelry form, so appreciated the reply from Marc. I have also heard that the place to buy amber is in Moscow - thanks for the address.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM
tower man

raw amber easy to come by in santo domingo no problem getting some there

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Alex

Marc:<BR><BR>You are a tremendous wealth of information...I have learned a great deal from you on these boards and now you come through in the "clutch". Thank you SO much!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Peter

Much of Ambar comes from Baltic Sea - Kaliningrad is really a Russian center for Amber.