Reload this Page >

Geneva, Copenhagen or Hungary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Tisha

Please help we have choice to go to Geneva Switzerland, Copenhagen, Denmark or Hungary. This would be July of 2003. We have never been to Europe and this may be our last chance. Trip would last 7-10 days.<BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Linda

Whichever you pick, don't stay in one city the whole time, split the time. If I were choosing, I would take Budapest, Hungary, and then go 3 hours up the Danube to Vienna, Austria. You would get a taste of the old east and west Europe. Both cities are great with site-seeing, cultural activities, shopping and excellent food and wine.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Tony

Don't know about Hungary, sorry. Copenhagen is very pleasant, but it is also very expensive. I doubt that Denmark is interesting enough to stimulate you for 7-10 days.<BR>Which leaves Geneva, or rather Switzlerand. Geneva itself is also very expensive, full of expense account U.N. and big business types. Bern, Interlaken, or Montreux, all just a short train ride from Geneva airport would all be better. I would strongly recommend you consider the Swiss Pass or similar, which allows you virtually unlimited travel by train and bus within Switzerland. The country is so small, and the transport so good that you can take scenic rides, and I mean scenic, to just about anywhere and back within the day. My feelings are that in this way you will get a good European experience, and if you want to be more adventurous, Italy and France is within sight of Lake Geneva, and Austria is not too far away either.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:28 PM
slider

<BR>Tisha,<BR>That is an unusual list of choices, no? Just compromise and go for the middle. Prague is right in the center of your group, is at least as interesting as any, and is cheaper than all.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:58 PM
henri

I would not consider Geneva for a 7-10 days trip. I was in Geneva last year attending a conference with students from around the world. I only stayed for 5 days and at the end I felt that there was not much else to the city. There are limited sights to see in Geneva but I felt the calm and peaceful atmostphere was pleasant. If you want excitement and lots of memory for your one and only trip to Europe I would suggest Hungary... Copenhagen is best during Christmastime. Enjoy your trip... ps. I agree with Linda. Split your time and avoid staying in one city.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Jan

I can only speak to Switzerland and Hungary, having lived in both. I would not recommend Hungary for a first time European (first time abroad?) adventure. It can be intimidating to a neophyte (no insult intended). Of course, it depends on what you are looking for! I would say that Geneva is a better choice, but not for the whole 10 days! Why don't you pair it with Paris or other area? Rent a car (driving in CH is easy, unlike Budapest!) and explore. Spend a couple of days in the Geneva region and then, go farther afield. Visit Montreux, the Valais, Ticino or even the Lakes district of Italy. Another alternative is to explore Eastern France.<BR>Whatever your choice, enjoy!<BR>Jan