Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

please help with suggestions on lake geneva region, switzerland...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and I will be spending several days in the lauterbrunnen valley at the beginning of june, but since we're flying into geneva we're considering two days in that area prior to our final destination... the more I research it, the more undecided I feel as to whether we should stay upon arrival...in geneva? or drive to lausanne? or ???...if you've been there and have suggestions I'd appreciate them! also if there are any specific hotels in the 3-star range it would be great (we'll have a car).
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Absolutely stay in the area, but I recommend Vevey or Montreux. You will love it.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:43 AM

Montreux-Veytaux, three star hotel Masson. www.hotelmasson.ch

Make reservations soon, early June is high season.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Singletail

Depending upon your interests you might find the area around Lausanne and/or Montreux somewhat more scenic and interesting than staying in Geneva itself, although some have described Montreux as ultimately "boring" and some say the same thing about Geneva!

I was just there, again, a couple of weeks ago and found, as I always do, plenty to do in both areas.

The lake steamers are running their regular schedules now; you might consider visiting Chillon if you haven't done that or for spectacular views, take the rack railway from Montreux up to Rochers-de-Naye.

Folks will also probably recommend a visit to nearby Vevey.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:34 AM

As well Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne and Geneva can offer you leisurely walks along the lakeside. The most scenic ones would be Vevey and Montreux.
Geneva and Lausanne are more like real 'cities', both with a historic city centre worth visiting, with parks, museums,.... They also offer more for shopping, if this might be of interest to you.
In fact, if you stay in Lausanne or Geneva, you could easily do without a car and use pubkic transport for visiting as well as for going directly to GVA airport. A car in Geneva is not the easisest thing to dispose off...

Rochers de Naye is an excellent thing to do. You can also go up by train and come down walking if you haven't had enough exercise in Lauterbrunnen and environs.

It all depends a bit on what you are looking for, on what your interests are

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Hi chick,

Montreux is one of my favorite areas in Europe, and I return there as often as possible. Because I don't like cities, I would avoid Geneva certainly as well as Lausanne. Vevey & Montreux are smaller towns -- Vevey is more of a real Swiss town with a population of about 16,000 and Montreux is more of a resort type town with a population of about 22,000.

I know that you've been doing some research, so I hope I don't repeat the information you've already found; anyway, here are some of my favorite visits & activities with a Montreux base.

Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Clarens to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau Chillon between Territet and Villeneuve; there are plenty of cafes to stop and have a coffee & snack along the way to replenish your strength. There are also plenty of benches to sit and read, watch other walkers, or simply stare at the majesty of the lake and the mountains in the distance.

Rent a bicycle from the train station and cycle the promenade!

If you make it all the way to Villeneueve, top off your long walk with a wonderful pizza & beer lunch at a lakeside café in Villeneuve, then take the ferry back to Montreux.

Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city and the old church for fantastic panoramic views from the church's terrace. Have lunch at the Hotel/Restaurant du Pont at 12 rue du Pont (I had a ravioli in cream sauce with shaved truffles that was out of this world!). Montreux's website is at www.montreux.ch

Spend the morning in Vevey hunting down the antiques shops in the old town. Then have lunch at the Hostellerie de Geneve on the Pl. Marche. Vevey?s website is at www.vevey.ch

Take the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz & St. Saphorin. For lunch, find the Auberge du Rivaz (in Rivaz . . . ) with a terrace lake view or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting. Website: www.lavaux.ch/sentier2.htm

The lakeside village of Cully, just east of Lausanne, is a picturesque stop and has two recommended restaurants, the Auberge du Raisin and the Au Major Davel.

The lakeside village of Lutry, just two miles east of Lausanne, has a well-posted tour of medieval buildings as well as some good wine caves for tasting. Website: www. lutry.ch

Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train to the resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateau d'Oex or at Glion for lunch at the Hotel Victoria with its panoramic views of the lake. You can walk from Glion to Montreux on a stair-step path through the forest (or take the train or the funicular to Territet).

Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double. Website: www.gruyeres.ch

Spend an afternoon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby. The Fodors guide recommends a meal at the Auberge du Chateau just steps from the Roman museum. It was closed when I was there, but it looked charming. Website: www.nyon.ch

Go to the small, charming village of Celigny. Not much to see here but a picturesque place (it was actor Richard Burton's home during the last years of his life). Have lunch at the Auberge du Soleil -- great prix fixe feast!

The website for the tourist office of the region is: www.lake-geneva-region.ch

My personal travel journal (w/photos) of Montreux: http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...JournalID=7825

For hotels, try the Ermitage in nearby Clarens (www.ermitage-montreux.com). It's not rated on the star system because it has so few rooms, but it is pricey. You may also want to e-mail a few of the four-star hotels around the lake to see if you can get a good deal. Try the Golf Hotel (www.golf-hotel-montreux.ch) in the suburb of Territet or the Swiss Majestic (www.suisse-majestic.ch) across the street from the train station.

Let me know if I can help further!

s
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Bonjour Chick,

One more suggestion: don't call it "lake Geneva" outside of Geneva proper, there's been enough trouble between cities about that, as this will attest:

http://www.plonkreplonk.ch/html/cart...artes/045.jpeg

;-)

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:25 AM

We took a fantastic cruise down Lake Geneva from Lausanne to Montreux, visited the Chateau de Chillon, and had lunch at a lovely French restaurant. The views on either side of you on the lake are spectacular!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM

Hi chick. May I vote? City -- Lausanne; town -- Vevey; village -- Cully. What a wonderful part of Switzerland. J.