Notices

Should we include Geneva?

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we include Geneva?

This will be our fourth time to Switzerland and have been to Bern, Montreuex, Gstaad, Interlaken, Grinderwald, Thun, Spiez, Lake Lugano.

On this trip we will fly from US to Zurich. Our plan is to take train to Lucene, spend 1 night, 2 nights Geneva, 1 night Zermatt, 3 nights Locarno. From Locarno, we plan to go to Venice.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:13 PM

I was underwhelmed by Geneva. Haven't been to other towns on the lake, but Vevey and Lausanne come highly recommended by some. Geneva is a dull banking town, with a small old town, a pleasant enough lake front, but nothing spectacular. There was a good, small museum of 19th century art that I quite enjoyed. I'd go elsewhere though. (Lucerne is beautiful, by the way.)
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM

P.S. It really helps to know what you enjoy doing.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, didn't mean to send message so will continue my post.

I just reviewed my journals and need to correct that this will be our third visit.

We are used to long flights and luckily have not been affected by jet lag. I know this may sound like a busy schedule but we are fine with it.

From the train schedule it would be a 3 hour trip from Lucene to Geneva. I would be interested to hear what you liked or disliked about Geneva?

Should we keep Geneva in our plans or eliminate it?

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Geneva isn't especially picturesque, although the surrounding region is attractive. Also, Geneva is VERY expensive--so it depends on what you would find interesting and whether you want to spend a whole lot to see it. I'd be inclined to add the time to Italy.
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for my late response but I just wanted to thank you for your replies. We have decided to skip visiting Geneva.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I think the more important question NOW is where are you going to go instead?

I agree with the others about Geneva in general although I didn't find it that much more expensive than some other locations; I suspect it may depend on where you stay and eat.

Have you considered Montreux or Lausanne; a visit to Chillon castle, etc? Trip up to Rochers de Naye?
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM
JN

I'd suggest spending the first two nights in Luzern, rather than adding a stop. You'll most likely be jet lagged on day one and not able to do/see much. Staying a second day will allow you to get to know and enjoy this picturesque city.
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

I was searching for hotel recommendations for Lucerne and I noticed I had a couple more responses to my post.

We have decided to stay an extra night in Lucerne and 3 nights in Locarno. Spending more time in Venice and the Tuscany area on this holiday.

Does anyone have recommendation of a hotel in Lucerne and/or Locarno? We are looking at a US $100-150 range.