An awkward interval in Geneva

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We find ourselves with an awkward interval in Geneva at the end of this month as we splice together two very different. halves of a 6 week long trip: arriving GVA at 1530 on day 1, and departing GVA at 0700 on day 3. So 40 hours in Switzerland, or 2 nights and one day. The sun will rise about 0800 and set about 1800.

We are not charmed by Geneva. We will not have foul weather walking kit with us. The weather will be unpredictable. We like trains (which have a tendency to be warm and dry when the weather is not.). We like having our picnic with wine and cheese on trains ....

idea #1: after landing, clearing customs, etc take a train to a “mountain town” — Lauterbrunnen? Gruyeres?, ???) for the night. Next day take a scenic train ride and return to an GVA airport hotel. This seems less than optimal as we would have a scramble after landing, would probably arrive at our mountain town after dark, and would be hauling our carry-on luggage.

idea #2a: book 2 nights at the GVA airport hotel. Not charming but .... I assume we will have Geneva cards to facilitate going into the city for dinner if time and weather (and flight delays) permit. Then on our full day in Switzerland — perhaps having armed ourselves with picnic food and drink — do an epic scenic train and bus ride — without luggage — commencing at daybreak and ending at sunset, so about 10 hours, a circular route from Geneva.

(Idea 2b: just make a day trip to Gruyeres, Broc, etc and do the cheese and chocolate thing. We prefer looking at jaw-dropping mountains while nibbling our picnic and sipping our wine, to watching food making demonstrations, if pressed for time).

(idea 2c: instead of train-riding in Switzerland, make a day trip to Annecy, Chamonix, etc)

We like idea #2a better than #1. A Saver Day Pass — purchased on the next few days — would be CHF 70 each (unless there is a Senior discount) which is not bad for a day’s entertainment.

The questions are thus: are we insane to prefer #2 to #1, and if not — if #2 makes sense — what route would you suggest to optimize scenic-ness (is that a word?)? Note that when we backtrack along the lake to Geneva, that could be after dark, effectively giving us a couple more hours of travel time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

EJZ (currently in blustery N Wales)

Last edited by EmJayZee; Oct 4th, 2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: autocorrect is evil
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 01:04 PM

Why the Geneva hate.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not do any of what you wrote up.

I would take the train out from Geneva and stay in Vevey, or Montreux. It's easy to get back to the airport by train from there. I don't think you need any kind of passes for a couple of 2nd class train rides like this. You can have your picnic overlooking Lac Leman with the Alps in the background across the lake.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

“Geneva hate?” I did not realize that stating “we are not charmed by Geneva” implies hatred.

We do not “hate” Geneva but have spent time there in the past and do not feel compelled to spend more time there.

I am not targeting Geneva for “hatred.” There are other cities we have visited and feel no yen to return to (eg, Paris, Copenhagen, Bangkok) And, on the other hand, there are cities we enjoy returning to again and again (eg London, Stockholm, Kyoto)

YMMV. Peace.

EJZ

Last edited by EmJayZee; Oct 4th, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Have you been to Bern(e) yet?
It's just a two hour train ride from Geneva and easier to get to than any "mountain villages".
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 04:50 PM
kja

Personally, I wouldn't choose between options based on luggage -- with the ease of luggage storage and forwarding in Switzerland, all you need to do is make sure you have a small bag with what you need for a night or two. And scrambling might not be necessary at all -- depending on where you decide to go.

I think suze has given a great suggestion, and FWIW, you can enjoy the glorious view of snow-capped Alps across Lake Geneva from Lausanne, Vevey, or Montreux, any one of which would give you some great options for your time. From what you say, you might research staying in either Vevey or Montreux, with time to visit the Chateau de Chillon and/or take the cog-wheel train to the Rochers de Naye and/or walk the vineyards of the northern slopes of Lake Geneva and/or take a steamer on the lake or whatever.

I'm not sure that Gruyeres would suit your needs very well -- the scenery there isn't the kind that you seem to be seeking, and if the chocolate and cheese are calling to you, you have a lot of other options. (I enjoyed Gruyeres, but for different reasons.)

And as Cowboy notes, you could go to Berne, too, or any number of other locations.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:42 PM

Hi EmJayZee,

I also like the recommendation of size to stay nearby -- Montreux or Vevey. I myself will be there at the end of Oct as well; it's my favorite time there, as crowds are reduced, and the trees and vines are turning color.

Montreux or Vevey will be about 1h20 or 1h30 from the airport, so you won't spend hours in transit either way. You can spend your time walking along the flowered lakeside promenade, heading to Chillon, then exploring Chillon. You can continue the walk onward to the village of Villeneuve (about 1h30 in total) and explore its main street and harbor area. You could also walk or hike through the vineyards of the Corniche Lavaux, marveling at the colors splashed against the blue of the lake and the white of the snow on the mountains on the opposite shore. You can walk from one town to another (Epesses to Lutry for example) and visit the Vinorama in Rivaz for a wine tasting. Then end the day exploring Vevey, with the many side streets and shops in the old town.

If you stay in Montreux or Vevey, your hosts will give you a Riviera Card, making the trains, buses, and funicular free between Vevey and Villeneuve.

Here are links to my "reviews" with photos of my favorite things to do there

Montreux old town
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...reux_Vaud.html

Lavaux

Promenade Fleuri

Morges
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rges_Vaud.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...n_of_Vaud.html

Lutry photos
https://swandav.shutterfly.com/632

Hope you find a good solution for your time there,

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Oct 4th, 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by swandav2000
Hi EmJayZee,

I also like the recommendation of size to stay nearby -- Montreux or Vevey. I myself will be there at the end of Oct as well; it's my favorite time there, as crowds are reduced, and the trees and vines are turning color.

Montreux or Vevey will be about 1h20 or 1h30 from the airport, so you won't spend hours in transit either way. You can spend your time walking along the flowered lakeside promenade, heading to Chillon, then exploring Chillon. You can continue the walk onward to the village of Villeneuve (about 1h30 in total) and explore its main street and harbor area. You could also walk or hike through the vineyards of the Corniche Lavaux, marveling at the colors splashed against the blue of the lake and the white of the snow on the mountains on the opposite shore. You can walk from one town to another (Epesses to Lutry for example) and visit the Vinorama in Rivaz for a wine tasting. Then end the day exploring Vevey, with the many side streets and shops in the old town.

If you stay in Montreux or Vevey, your hosts will give you a Riviera Card, making the trains, buses, and funicular free between Vevey and Villeneuve.

Here are links to my "reviews" with photos of my favorite things to do there

Montreux old town

Lavaux

Promenade Fleuri

Morges
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rges_Vaud.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...n_of_Vaud.html

Lutry photos
https://swandav.shutterfly.com/632

Hope you find a good solution for your time there,

s
Montreux is quite a way away from Geneva. If it's just 2 nights, why the bother.

Thonon les Bains, maybe that's an idea? Nyon as well, or Yvoire. And you've got cool ferries across Lac Léman.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 11:00 PM
kja

Originally Posted by menachem
Montreux is quite a way away from Geneva. If it's just 2 nights, why the bother.
Perhaps because Montreux would be a delightful place to spend 2 nights, leaving time to see some wonderful things?
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Umm. Montreux is a LOT closer to GVA than is Lauterbrunnen (3h30), Gruyeres (2h10 or 3h30), and a little closer than Bern (2h) and Annecy (2h). So that's why.

Nyon is a good idea, with its Roman museum and some Roman ruins. Yvoire left me cold, and I'm not sure what there's left to do after 2h there. Morges is another idea -- love that town.

s
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:19 AM

It takes about a half hour longer to get from Geneve Aeroport to Thonon-les-Bains than to Montreux. And I think this is your best option. Unwind in Montreux or Vevey, enjoy an excursion to the mountains that begin right there - Rochers-de-Naye, Gstaad, Gruyeres are easy to reach. Or Leysin, or Champery.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for taking the time and effort to write thoughtful suggestions.

Much as we love long long scenic train rides and mountain towns, going only as far as Vevey makes sense, and sounds more appealing than the larger Montreux. We will want a quiet evening anyway after a day of travel. We will hope for brilliant weather on Saturday Oct. 26.

We will spend the second night at the iBis GVA hotel as our 0700 flight to Israel means arriving at the airport at 0500 — more easily done with a 10 minute walk than a 1.5 hour train ride.

Assuming our flight from Portugal arrives on time at 1530, I assume we will need a hour to clear the entry formalities and thus will be heading for a train at 1630. Is this a good estimate?

And we would like to store our Roll-aboards and take only our day packs to Vevey. Are there luggage storage lockers in GVA? If not, we might resort to taking our bags to the iBis hotel we will use on the second night, though this will be a further time sink.

Next task: find a modestly priced hotel in Vevey for a Friday night, easily reached from the trai station, and then make two plans for Saturday: fair or wet?

thank again.

EJZ
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:18 AM

Hi again, Can you give a figure range for the hotel? Different folks have different ideas of "modest." One hotel you may want to consider is the Hostellerie Bon Rivage that sits right at the lake in the suburb of La Tour-de-Peilz, a 3-star. Quick bus ride to the hotel or maybe 15-minute walk from Vevey train station. Vevey is a lovely town, more residential than the resort-ey Montreux, but it has fewer hotel beds....

Wet plans -- maybe the Chocolate train tour or DIY to Gruyeres and Broc or maybe Gstaad. Or maybe Lausanne and its Olympic sites.

Dry plans -- in the morning town bus to Montreux then walk to Chillon, explore Chillon, and continue to Villeneuve. Afternoon -- train to Lutry or Chexbres or Epesses, walk the vineyards, dinner in Lutry or Vevey's old town.

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:20 AM

Revisiting OP's initital post I noticed that I had overlooked the fact that their flight will leave at 7am on day 3.
In that case, I would probably like to spend both nights at GVA airport or in "downtown" Geneva.
I wouldn't want to know how early I had to rise to catch a 7am flight from GVA if I was staying in Montreux or Berne.
And do whatever day trip they consider worthwhile from there on day 2.
If you don't find "downtown" Geneva appealing, you could take the tram to Carouge for dinner on day 1.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:29 AM

Only a five minutes walk from the train station Vevey and right in the old town: hotelnegociants.ch
double room 165 CHF, breakfast not included (15 CHF p.P.)

If the weather is nice then make an excursion to the mountains. A selection of (mountain) rail lines is here: GoldenPass - GoldenPass

Rochers-de-Naye would be my recommendation for best views in relatively short distance/time. This excursion would leave some time for the afternoon to explore Vevey, maybe see castle Chillon, stroll along the flowered lake promenade. Or check if you can squeeze in a short cruise on the lake.

An option for lousy weather would be castle Chillon (I visited in rain and it was even more atmospheric that way) and maybe a wine tasting. Or an excursion to Gruyeres - cheese tasting plus a visit of that castle.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 02:14 AM

There are luggage lockers at Geneva airport railway station.
https://www.sbb.ch/en/bahnhof-servic...-aeroport.html
There will be most probably be no passport control if you enter from Portugal.
Trains from Geneva airport railway station to all parts of Switzerland run every 30 minutes.
Lauterbrunnen would be too complicate to reach and too shadowy in the last days of October.
If you want to go into the mountains and if the weather is fine, you may sleep at Brig from where you can get to famous and sunny mountain areas (with still running mountain railways resp lifts) in 1 hr or so:
Zermatt
Riederalp-Bettmeralp.
At Chamonix (much closer to Geneva) the cog wheel train to Montenvers and the gondolas to Planpraz and to Aiguille du Midi will run.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 07:20 AM

Montreux is not "quite a ways" from Geneva. Just make sure you're on the one train that goes each hour that does not have a transfer, and it's barely over 1 hour ride.

I also didn't realize it was significantly larger than Vevey. I thought the two towns were about the same size?

That said... Vevey is my most favorite and I think fits perfectly for this plan (yes with an airport hotel that last night before the early flight).

This would really maximize your time imo rather than trying to run all over Switzerland

Last edited by suze; Oct 5th, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks to all for the “brainstorming.” We now have better direction and quite a bit to research for our “awkward time” and so I suppose I should be hoping for stormy weather tomorrow in Wales so we are forced indoors and on the Internet...

We also need to curb our tendency to try packing four days worth of activity into a single day “because we are there!” ;-)

Neckervd — can you say more about our Chamonix options for a day trip? And if the weather is foul in the Vevey/Gruyeres region, is it likely to be fair in Chamonix? Or are the weather patterns deeply intertwined?

Again, thank you!

Last edited by EmJayZee; Oct 5th, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:46 PM

The weather around Montreux is almost always better than in the Chamonix Valley.
Only exception: if there is fog above Lake Geneva and sun in the mountains. But in this case, Les Rochers de Naye, just above Montreux, will be above the fog too.

BTW: Vevey counts 20 thousand inhabitants, whereas Montreux has 25 thousand inhabitants. The whole conurbation Vevey - Montreux (with 9 other villages in between) counts 85 thousand inhabitants.

The direct bus from Geneva airport to Chamonix takes about 1 1/2 hrs.
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the population numbers. The two 'felt' about the same size to me when visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -