Search

Ravello ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravello ?

I was doing some more last minute going thru the threads planning on our trip to Capri (in 3 weeks) and a lot of people loved and recommended Ravello (spelling ??) - I can't find where's it's located - can we do a day trip there from Capri ? or is Positano (my original plan) better ?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Ravello is a beautiful place to visit, but certainly not useful as a base. It's up on the mountain on the Amalfi drive. It's not far from Positano, but it's a 20-30 minute drive up from the coastal road.

As for your question (positano? original plan? capri?) it's impossible to answer because I have no idea what your original plan was/is.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SSSTEVE - we are staying in Capri for 5 nights and we were looking for a day trip around the Sorrento area. Would Ravello be do-able ??
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Ravello is just above Amalfi, the town and arguably along with Positano the most interesting of the Amalfi towns.
I walked up a lovely lush ravine full of vineayrds, orchards, etc from Amalfi to Ravello - though uphill well paved path and a delightful walk. Ravello is known mainly for its old church and especially its tremendous view over the coast far below.
buses go to Ravello from amalfi - you can boat to Amalfi some periods from Capri or always boat to Sorrento and hop the twice hourly or so SITA buses along the dramatic coast to Amalfi and back.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Wow-5 nights!That is a pretty long stay on capri!

I would definetly do a day trip to Positano. Then if you want you can catch a bus to Amalfi and then a bus to Ravello.
But I would check into the ferry schedules.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stevie and Pal - so Ravello is worth the effort to get there ? Any nice restaurants for lunch up there ?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Here's a site with a list of restaurants in ravello...

http://www.palazzosasso.com/en/servi...eservation.php

And here's the URL of my web page describing our visit to the Amalfi coast in 2000.
http://www.travel.stv77.com/amalfi.html

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM

We are just back from a trip to Positano. We did a daytrip to Ravello (hired a car service for €45/hr, 4 hrs). A gorgeous little town. I would definitely recommend a visit. I would not recommend going into Sorrento and then taking a bus all the way to Ravello, that's quiet a long day I think. Rather, I'd recommend the ferry to Amalfi and then bus up to Ravello. Ravello vs Positano depends on what you want to see really... Ravello is a quiet little town high up on the cliff with a great view of the sea and towns (Minori and Maori) below... Positano is a very picturesque but very touristy oceanside town. We ate lunch at the Palazzo Sasso outdoor restaurant (amazing views!!) in Ravello. In Positano, I would recommend eating at one of the restaurant that lines the main beach of Marina Grande (Chez Black, La Cambusa are two). Have fun! We visited Capri as well, it was gorgeous and had GREAT stores!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:16 AM

<font color="BLUE">Ravello is only a 20 minute SITA bus ride up the hillside from Amalfi and is a beautifil Town which features the gardnes of the Villa Cimbrone and the Villa Rufolo.Across the Dragone Valley from Ravello is the Town of Scala and the villages of Minuta and Pontone which offer a taste of the authentic Amalfi Coast</font>
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:31 AM

Ravello is magical. I prefer it to Capri, but it is isolated.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:20 AM

<font color="blue">The ride up to Ravello is great with some good views of the Torre dello Ziro and the Dragone Valley and Ravello offers a great contrast to the hussle and bussle of the beach resorts</font>
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:21 AM

steviegene
Why do you consider five days on Capri a &quot;pretty long stay&quot;?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:37 AM

<font color="BLUE"> I would suspect it is because it is a very small island and most of the attractions can be visited easily within a few days however if you just want to relax and have a leisurely holiday it can be great</font>