Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I've Read SO Much- But Still Don't Know What to do About Amalfi Coast! Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling in the beginning of August so we've decided to skip Rome (good idea?) and fly directly into Naples. We arrive late so have to spend the first night there. I'm thinking the Excelsior. Then immediately off the next morning.
I want to take my time seeing the AC, but I get terribly car sick. The buses have me nervous so it'll be the ferries for me.
Should I stay in Positano or Sorrento and Ravello? I plan to go to the Ravello Festival the night of August 5. It seemes that at this time of the year a swimming pool is a must!
And then on to Capri for 2 or 3 nights. Beyond that, I'm still deciding (more Italy or on to France).
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM

If you plan to go to the Ravello festival you need to stay in or near Ravello.

Consider staying in Amalfi, which is just down the hill from Ravello. You will have to take a car or bus to reach Ravello, but the ride is short.

You can get to Amalfi from by ferry from Napoli, and from Amalfi you can also get ferries to Capri and Positano, should you want to pay a visit to the latter.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Hi imo,do stay clear of Rome,if you go to Positano why spend three nights on Capri,on the beaches in Positano there are several modes of transportation to go to Naples then onto Capri,you can get there by small boat charters or larger ferries that take you to Capri for about 10 euros a person,as far as the Island of Capri its very expensive and not any difference as far as its natural beauty.The driving in the Amalfi is dangerous.I rented a car in Florence drove south as soon as hit the coast I was regreted it. The drivers would go through red lights stop there cars or bikes and stare you down ,very bizarre attitudes ,I then proceded to the hotel in Positano parked and hired a driver to go to Ravello and to go sightseeing etc.When I went to Capri I did not think that it was as nice as Positano.As far as Rome the taxi driver told me there are 5 times the people in the summer ,I went Oct. 2005,and Ithought the crowds and the noise and the traffic was to intense. Good luck on your trip.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
ira

Hi W,

>I get terribly car sick. The buses have me nervous so it'll be the ferries for me.<

Have you ridden on ferries before?

>I plan to go to the Ravello Festival the night of August 5.<

It is quite likely that the ferries will have stopped when you wish to return.

See http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa fr Positano to Amalfi

Positano - Sorrento 09.45 - 12.50 - 15.40 - 18.10
Sorrento - Positano 11.00 - 14.30 - 17.00 - 17.25
(Approx times)

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Not knowing your entire trip time length, it is hard to determine how much time should be spent and in what city(ies). If you have time, maybe you will want to see Rome at the end of this trip (since you suggested "more Italy or on to France&quot? However, if you want to spend all your time on the Amalfi Coast, maybe you could see more areas down that way?

Based on your suggestion to fly into Napoli.....if you don't want to have to spend the night there, an option would be to arrange for the Curreri Viaggi car service to pick you up from the Naples Capodichino airport at night and transport you to the Amalfi Coast town of your choice. If you decide to stay in Napoli, you might want to take a ferry boat over to the AC towns the next day, so staying in the Santa Lucia area, Chaiai district or even near the Piazza Municipio would be close to the Molo Beverello port for boat departures. There are some nice hotels along the waterfront there that are quite convenient to the port without having to stay in the middle of the Napoli chaos.

I like Sorrento as a base town and stay there every time I go to the Amalfi Coast (I will be there again end of August/beg. of Sept). From Sorrento, you can easily catch a boat down to Amalfi, Positano, Capri, etc. The bus up the hill from Amalfi to Ravello is a short 15 mins (+/-) and is not strenuous.

Also, if you are staying in one Amalfi Coast town as your base, you can make Capri a day trip, rather than staying there. Plus, there are a lot of other neat places to see while down on the Amalfi Coast that could fill up your other day trips (Paestum, Salerno, Ishcia, Procida, etc). Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.
Looks like I will be taking the road back from Ravello- or staying there the night I attend the festival.
I have about 2 weeks in total for Europe. I spent 4 weeks in Italy about 9 years ago, but didn't make it this far south (I was traveling with my children at the time).
There is a hotel I'm anxious to stay in on Capri. I really don't want to make that a day trip.
My idea of a good time is not rushing from one thing to the next but taking the time to absorb an area, so although it's not a lot of ground to cover, a week in the area will not be an issue.
Would it be difficult to arrange an airport pick up in Naples for a flight arrival at 9:40PM for a hotel in Sorrento or Positano? I'm assuming, from what I've read, that I'll find somrthing open for a meal when I arrive.
I'm familiar with and have visited the Cote d'Azur a few times and would enjoy returning for my second week in Europe.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:37 AM
ira

Hi W,

>Would it be difficult to arrange an airport pick up in Naples for a flight arrival at 9:40PM for a hotel in Sorrento or Positano?<

No.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. He has started his own business. He might give you a better price. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM

If you get car sick - have you ever been on a boat on the ocean? Much more likely to make you motin sick than a car does. I would make sur you're fully supplied with dramimine or whatever you take for motion sickness. (And if you only get car sick - it's really easy to fix - just drive. Then you're concentrating on the road and you ears will adjust automatically.)
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM

I highly recommend staying overnight on capri! It was fabulous after dark and really our favorite part of the Amalfi Coast trip.

Buses werent that bad. Use them, they are cheap and convenient and offer great views. Get some medication for car-sickness.

We stayed in Positano, which was lovely. But we took a day trip to Amalfi and really loved it. It was much more "real-life" than Positano.

So you have 2 weeks on Amalfi coast? Or are you going other places?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Ravello is high up above the water, so to get there from a boat would require a bus or car. It has great views. If I were you, I'd stay there the night of the 5th at least.

Are you interested in Pompeii? If so, check out the Archeological Museum in Naples before leaving town. It has a lot of the treasures from Pompeii. (And Pompeii is easier to visit from Sorrento than from the AC proper.)