Reload this Page >

Question about hotel in 9th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:44 PM
gabby

I am travelling to Paris on Thursday. This is my first time going anywhere in Europe, so I am a bit nervous. Very excited also of course. <BR><BR>The hotel I am satying at is part of a package I bought online, and I am a bit worried that it is in a nasty neighborhood. The name of the hotel is St. Georges Opera - and it is located on 42 rue Notre Dame de Lorette in the 9th. <BR><BR>Does anyone have any words of comfort for me? Thank you!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:23 PM
kate

Hi gabby,<BR>I felt like a detective, trying to find something out about your hotel/the area/something!<BR>The best I could find is that it is near the Gare du Nord (Train station).The Notre Dame de Lorette is the Metro stop (#12) and there is a rue St Georges.This is all a little north of Madeleine and west of the Opera.<BR>Hope this helps a little!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Paula

I felt like playing detective too and didn't come up with much either. Your metro stop is St. George and you're just a few stops from St. Lazare where several metro lines converge. The hotel pictures that I found look nice enough. (Had to search under Hotel Saint Georges)<BR><BR>The bottom line is you're going to Paris and you're going to have a great time. As long as you're in the city, you're just a short metro ride from anywhere you want to go. <BR><BR>Check out this website: www.pagesjaunes.fr and type in the address (which is 46 rue Notre Dame<BR>de Lorette, not 42) on the line that says "Adresse" and type in Paris on the line that says "Localite" and click "Rechercher" and then you can click and see your hotel and the street your hotel is on as well as a map. It's a really fun site once you get the hang of it.<BR><BR>Paris is awesome. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Jayelle

I'm not familiar with your particular hotel, but I did find your street on the map. I stayed in and took French classes in this same general area of the 9th several years ago. You're actually situated in between the more upscale area of the 9th with the large department stores (Blvd. Haussman) to the south, and the more working class areas around Place de Clichy and Pigalle just to the north. I'll mention that the areas to your immediate north are not the nicest(peep shows, etc. around Pigalle), and some folks prefer to avoid them in the evenings. I'd have to say that I never felt unsafe in that area, its just not very attractive. A little further north you'll find Monmartre, which is one of my favorite areas.<BR><BR>You shouldn't have any problems in this area. You are within easy walking distance of the major department stores as well as Monmartre, and the metro can take you anywhere else that you want to go. However, if you have other hotel choices and still have time to make a change, there are other areas of the city that would probably be more fun for you on your first visit. <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Fred

Area is fine. Place St George a nice area. A little out of the central area but fine. Further north not so good but you won't be there. I don't know anything about the hotel itself. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:43 AM
gabby

Thank you all very much! I feel better about the hotel. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon, and I am very excited!