Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pre-trip depression/How much to smoke in Europe

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know my trip to Europe will wreck my since of time completely.
I am going to Europe in 1 Month today ! April, 1 and I am numb !
If you guys ever gonna see my report you'll cry, I am sure.

No shopping done except luggage. I keep staring at it hoping it'll get packed by itself. Presents were not brought, clothes not picked, am I the only one ? last minute packer in coma before trip ???

Yeah, what I meant to ask - how much are cigarets in Germany ? Like Marlboro ...
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:40 AM

3 euro.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

not too sensitive but hey, Thanks anyway ...

Would that be BAD to bring US cigarettes to someone that smokes ?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:54 AM

There was a time when cigarettes, chocolate and coffee were very much appreciated as gifts. Their value dropped off as Europeans became economically more comfortable. American brands are now manufactured in Europe through licensing agreements.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:54 AM

Hi Zania,
Isn't it a little early to worry about packing? I start packing about three days before I leave. I'm leaving 28th March and getting very excited, and haven't even thought about what to take or wear or anything.... maybe I'm just slow!!! Anyway I figure that if I leave anything behind it justs gives me an excuse to buy new stuff
This is going to be my first trip since giving up smoking and I keep thinking how great it is going to be not to be wanting to smoke on that longgggg 11 hour flight.... and as for the price of cigarettes in europe........
good luck, don't stress, have a great trip
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

O, thanks a lot.
So, I am not too behind yet!

Well, let's just wait then.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM

You think it is bad that you leave April 1 and haven't started packing yet? I leave in 11 days (YAY!!!!!) and I haven't THOUGHT about packing! I did buy all those little travel size shampoos and stuff like that, but mostly just cause I was excited, haven't done much else as far as physically getting ready to leave.

11 days!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:18 AM

Marlboro, how common.

If you smoke at least smoke quality cigarettes, Dunhill International for cheaper ones, or Treasurer for the most exclusive.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM

How I envy you. 1 month! But don't pack now. Wait a couple of days before you leave; you'll want to check on the weather....not that it means much, but it'll help. Common folk that I am, I took a carton of Marlboro's with me. I never did find Gaulois that I wanted to try...didn't look too hard either tho.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

m_k,
I had such a headache, but as soon as I saw your post it was gone ! It transfered into ANGER instead !!!
Get out and meet somebody, I feel sexual tension in your posts, go do it!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I forgot to end my post with )

Thanks SuzieC, I am getting better...
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM

Ziana:

I am no help with the smokes but I can answer your querry about packing.

Start now, you do not want to get another headache right before you leave right?

Plan your wardrobe, match things up, go shopping! Remember, you will not need these clothes within the next 30 days so go ahead, pack them.

If you need alterations, cleaning, laundry and the like you have time to do all that.

I always start a good 4 to 6 weeks before I leave by putting things in the suitcase. That way, real last minute things are just that.

You have multiple weather web-sites. If they predict a last minute heat wave or a rain storm toss in a few things at the end.

Happy Packing,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:26 AM

Ziana -
I pick a place in my house (the dining room table, a corner in the living room, etc.) and start putting things in that spot a couple of weeks before the trip. I do not own tons of clothes, and most often I wear on my trips the same clothes that I wear every day at home, so I do not pack the clothes until the last day, but everything else (guidebooks, camera, small toiletries, etc.) are all in one place ready to go. It also helps me get excited about my trip when I see everything in one place!

I do not get depressed before a trip, but I do tend to stress out a bit..the whole "get all my affairs in order before I go" kind of thing. I rarely sleep more than a couple of hours the night before...too much nervous energy!

Good luck on your trip and have a great time!
Renee
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM

I'm leaving in about a month, also, and haven't even thought about packing, and I'm not going to buy anything. I pack in the few days before the trip, depending on day of the week and other duties.

The only things I do so as not to get too stressed at the last minute are:

1) make a list on notebook paper of what clothes I plan to take and other things. I put clothes on one side and "things" (camera, maps, passport) etc on the other side. The things list is to make sure I don't forget something at the last minute, I double check that before going to airport. YOu can ruminate over the clothing list from an armchair while watching TV, etc -- I divide it into shoes/casual clothes/dressier clothes/outerwear. This way you can see what goes with other things, etc. If something really did need repair, you could do it.

2) I make sure all my laundry is up-to-date so I am not out of clean socks when packing.

3) I pack things that don't wrinkle about a week ahead of time -- socks, underwear, belts, stuff like that, as well as toiletries. I put them all in bags so that when packing, I just need to put the stuff from the bag into the suitcase, not hunt around (or make decisions last minute). I have one bag for underwear, one for socks, one for toiletries/makeup. I don't pack them in the suitcase because that kind of stuff is what I put on top or in the pockets, etc.
4) I put all shoes etc into a box ready for packing so I don't have to hunt/find them at the last minute. -- I use copier paper boxes from my office.
5) I also put the "things" items into a separate box ready for packing -- camera, guidebooks, hairdryer, adapter plugs, totebag, etc.

This relieves a lot of stress by knowing the real packing won't take that long -- but if you change your mind, etc, you can easily switch things from these bags/boxes without undoing any real packing.

I only really pack clothes the night before. I would never pack clothes ahead of time because they'd get wrinkled and because I do really need my clothes. I don't like shopping and don't usually buy special things for trips, I use my regular clothes. With all these prepared bags/boxes/lists, my actual packing only takes a couple hours.

I see this is similar to what Renee does, maybe I have more piles/boxes.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:39 PM

I never pack more than 1/2 days before the trip except for toiletries etc (which I have in mini-sizes in a standard zipper bag that I use for all business travel). what I do start doing about 2 weeks in advance is making lists of everything I want to bring so I don't forget any of the special items (small veggie knife for fruit and picnics, tiny flashlight with fresh batteries, etc.)