Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pre-theatre meal with teenagers - help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have tickets to see Chicago later this month and am looking for somewhere to eat beforehand. There's obviously loads of choice but I will have 2 teenagers with me, one a vegetarian. I am not looking for a specific vegetarian restaurant but one that serves a good choice of vegetarian dishes and isn't too 'fuddy duddy'. If anyone could give me some suggestions I would be very grateful. Many thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:06 AM

You haven't specified which country or city you will be in.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:08 AM
ira

Hi Morgana,

As noted, we don't know where you will be, but you can take them for a pizza.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:10 AM

OOPS, hit the enter button before I was finished.

I was going to say, I'm guessing you mean London, but I just wanted to point out that mentioning a location is *kinda* important, when you're asking for advice (i.e. advice on hotels, restaurants, etc.) on a travel forum.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:27 AM

If you're looking in the inexpensive to moderate budget category, that pizza suggestion is pretty good. I'd consider Pizza Express, which I find surprisingly good and they have numerous vegetarian options. Great salads there too, and decent pastas -- but their this crusts pizzas really are excellent and it is a nice atmosphere. There are a couple of them in the London theatre district, including a nice one on St. Martin's Lane.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:13 AM

I second Patrick's recommendation. My teens LOVED Pizza Express when we were in London. We must have eaten at four different ones and they were all delicious and reasonably priced.

We also found another Italian restaurant in Covent Garden that specialized in pizza and pasta that we ate at prior to attending the theatre, which was quite good, but unfortunately I cannot remember the name.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:38 AM

Also try Wagamama's. A lively, casual atmosphere with a good mix of vegetarian and non vegetarian food. Their web site is www.wagamama.com, which includes locations and menus.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Oooops, I did write this early this morning, must have been half asleep. We will be in London! I live in Yorkshire where we have many Pizza Express's - was hoping for something maybe a little more 'grown up?'.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:50 AM

Maxwells or The Rock Garden?

My teenage nephew likes these anyway It is difficult as you really are spoilt for choice.

www.toptable.co.uk has info including menus for both of them.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM

Maybe I'm confused. The Pizza Express I usually go to on St. Martin's is a kind of upscale looking very trendy place usually filled with local 20 and 30 somethings. They have full bar, waiter/waitress service, contemporary furnishings and comfortable tables. Not a really upscale restaurant, but nothing like what the name makes it sound. Is that what your pizza expresses are like?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

i would try one of the cute italian places with a fixed price menu. there always seems to be something for everyone....
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:56 AM

I agree with Patrick -- I've eaten at what I think is Pizza Express (really about one block to the east of St-Martin's Lane, isn't it? on the corner) ... and this is a rather nice, chic restaurant with a bar and pleasant atmosphere. I think it's a good idea also. It's not Domino's.