london restaurants

Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

london restaurants

sorry to bother the team with restaurant requests, but my sig other and i will be staying 4 days in london next week, 2 near the green park metro station and 2 near trafalgar square. I was thinking of eating in the restaurant at the naitonal portrait gallery and on the thames near the national theater. we don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but would like a decent experience. any ideas?
Apr 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM

"decent amount of money" means different things to different people. What is your actual budget, and what sort of food/experience are you looking for?
Apr 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM

We really like Brown's Restaurant on St. Martin's Lane near Leicester Square. Their prices are moderate, and they have a pre-theater dinner that is quite reasonable. If you go, do have the Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Apr 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM

I think that food in Browns is very average
Apr 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM

I do enjoy the experience of being at the restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery, at a table near the window, overlooking Trafalgar Square. I've been for a late breakfast, for lunch, and for tea, so I cannot say that I have "dined" there--but what fun to be high above it all, gazing over the rooftops toward the Eye!
Apr 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM

kmbp, that is nice about the view, but how is the food?

Keith
Apr 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Lunch at the Wallace Collection last month was a treat. Biagio right across from the Royal Academy at Green Park is reasonable and the food is very good. Actually the best "museum" food we've found has been at the Imperial War museum. And Carolyn I agree, you must have the sticky toffee pud if you go to Brown's!

Also check out Top Table for 50% or 2 for 1 offers at some very good restaurants.
Apr 5th, 2010, 05:52 AM

It's been a few years since my last visit to London. Macchiato...sandwiches...scones...tea...all were fine but, I admit, not a real test of a kitchen's talent. I leave that assessment to someone who has explored the menus more extensively.
Apr 6th, 2010, 09:27 AM

I still have to finish my UK food posting - but price doesn't really seem to have much bearing on food in UK - you can pay a fortune for utter crap and get a beautiful meal for less than 20 quid a head - even less in some of the Indian restaurants and "Caffes" doing bubble and squeak and the like.

surprisingly to some, the Brits really do know their wine - a esult of centuries of paying through the nose for it!
Apr 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM

If we're talking about Browns the chain, then please don't go there. I think the food is really quite poor, with a distinct ready meal/reheated feel to it.

There are often recommendations on here for that restaurant and I've always been a bit alarmed - but have hesitated to say anything just in case it's some terrible misunderstanding on my part and everyone's talking about some fab secret place that happens to have the same name. Seeing the St Martin's Lane address in this thread makes me pretty sure I've been right all along, now. Don't go there.
Apr 6th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Carluccio's and Cafe Montepeliano in South Kensington , not too far from Green Park both do good Italian at reasonable prices
Apr 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Last year while staying near Green Park tube station we ate at Europa, 37 Albemarle Street and found it to be quite good and reasonably priced. The Italian food was freshly prepared and service was good.
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM

I second Carluccios(Cafe) - very well regarded and very affordeable too.
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM

There is a Carluccio's cafe in the basement of Fenwick's department street at 53 New Bond Street, open for lunch only, I think. If you like mushrooms, Carluccio's is the place. If you like nice clothing in a low key atmosphere (so low key that you have to know Carluccio's is there because I saw no signs outside)Fenwick's has nice clothing. For fellow Americans: Fenwick's is pronounced "Fennick's".
Apr 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM

The cafe at the Courtauld Gallery (located in Somerset House on The Strand) is really nice for lunch and inexpensive...plus the gallery itself is a real gem...with an early 20th c. collection better than many huge museums...fauves, blue rider expressionism, etc.

http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/v...nfo/cafe.shtml

I highly recommend it. (And the museum is free most Mondays 10:00-14:00.)

SS
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM

You might ask around where you are staying - if there's a consensus, go there.

Avoid restaurants that are always empty.

Search this Thread