Prague Youth Hostel?Budget options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. Thank you for your help with my trip planning! My boyfriend and I will be making a two-night trip to Prague while we are in Budapest. We are planning to go Dec 26 and 27. We don't want to spend much. Are youth hostels our only option? Do some youth hostels have private rooms? Any recommendations for youth hostels? Or do we have any other budget options?
I loved staying in youth hostels when I was single. My boyfried prefers a private room.
I found this website: http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels...public/prague/
Before I book a place, I thought I would ask you for advice.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Budget options ? You need to tell us how much you are willing to pay. e.g. I will be in Prague for 22 - 26 Dec and paying €35 per night/single room in a very central (mala strana) area. I have already stayed at this hotel and can tell it is a very good 3* for the price.

Also some booking sites offer U Cerneho Konicka (At The Black Horse) 3* for €27/single. Have not stayed there but I know the location, very central also. Relatively newly opened hotel so tripadvisor.com has only 4 reviews. Mixed reviews but recent ones are positive.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I am not sure for an exact amount we are willing to pay. We are staying with my in-laws for 2 weeks in Budapest. Since I am the one who really wants to see Prague, my boyfriend has said that I have to pay for the two nights we are spending there (our accomodations and for my boyfriend's parents, also.. though who knows if this is really the case- seems too extreme to me). So, I am looking for the lowest price I can find. The price you quote sounds good. I wonder what the price is for two people rather than a single room.
My thoughts were that my boyfiend and I can stay in a small hostel and I can spend more on his parents' room.
Much thanks for your help!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM

It won't be true in every place, but if you really want the cheapest price, it might pay for you to change your dates by one day. It is likely the cheapest dates for hotels in Prague will be Dec 27 and 28, not the 26 which may still be higher due to Christmas (and after the 28th, they may go up again as Prague is very popular for New Years). If you are just coming from Budapest, it sounds like you could easily change your dates, if necessary.

If you can get a double hotel room for around 30 euro (you don't pay Czech hotels in euro, though, because that isn't their currency), that's about the same price as a hostel.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:09 AM

If you do want a hostel, look for reviews at hostelz.com .

I recall reading positive things about the following: Miss Sophie's, Sir Toby, and the Boathouse.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM

And I think you better hurry to book a place of your choice. e.g. the Black Horse I mentioned above is no longer available for your dates. Good luck!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so, so much everyone!!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Saira, After reading the dynamics of this trip I read in your other thread I would advice to forget about going to Prague.

The fact that your boyfriend is making you pay for him and his parents seems more than "extreme" to me!! It seems like a really bad indicator. You are nervous and scared enough about the trip (by your own admission) why put all this extra stress into play for a couple days in a different city. Save it for a future trip when you're on your own again.

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Suze, I think with the help of all of you lovely people, I've decided to cancel Prague and Vienna. I've decided instead to make a huge list of things to see in Hungary. At one point I said to my boyfriend, Oooh, there are castle hotels in Hungary how cool! Wish I could stay at one. So, he was enthusiastic and asked me if I want to go.
Thanks so so much for the advice, really everyone.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Happy to help. You sound like a very nice person but in a bit of a tough situation. Smoothing out and keeping your itinerary simple will hopefully take away some of the stress your were feeling.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the compliment, Suze. My boyfriend is a very traditional man. For example, I so loved to travel and want to travel on my birthday. He says that we can stay home and have fun. I just feel like we will not be going to Europe together anytime soon, and if we do, it will be only to see his family. So, I am just dying to see Europe and take in what I can.