Prague tours and guides

Old Feb 13th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague tours and guides

We will be visiting Prague for about a week in mid May and would be interested in knowing experiences with tour guides and tours for day trips. A friend mentioned an early morning city tour before the crowds were active, but she couldn't remember the tour company. I read one post that mentioned Personal Prague Guide. Thank you!
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:42 AM

We did a bus tour on our first day to get our bearings. Unfortunately, it was not very good and I don’t recommend it. It was the Informative Prague tour with Prague Sightseeing Tours.

We also did a tour of the Jewish Quarter with Wittman Tours and it was quite good.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:46 AM

I've heard Wittman Tours is good for the Jewish quarter.

I've never used a tour for within Prague, but I have used both Prague Sightseeing Tours and Martin Tours for day trips outside the city. BOth were very good, but PST had a nicer bus. But for within-city that wouldn't matter, just the guides. Both guides were excellent. I think they both have tours within the city.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 05:31 PM
kja

I trust you realize that no tours or private guides are necessary for Prague unless that's your preference....
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Hopefully, unclegus will see this thread. He's a real Prague expert! You might see if he accepts PMs.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:49 PM

Agree with Kja that a guide is not entirely necessary. I certainly wouldn't hire one for visiting the Prague Castle, just get the audioguide. And I myself found that a good guidebook would give us as much information as we could absorb in the Jewish quarter.

A day trip to Terezín or to some of the villages might be best with a tour.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 01:57 AM

https://www.livingpraguetours.com/
this
is a company run by a friend of mine, I have known Jason long before he became a full time tour guide and his tours have a 99% 5 star rating on Trip Advisor the other 1% is 4 stars.I have done many tors with Jason over the years before he went full time and his knowledge , humour and presentation is superb.
If you go to the Czech Pubs and Taps tour you will see a picture of 4 guys I am the one in the solid blue shirt .I meet with Jason every time I am in the city. last time being over new year. he really does know his stuff.
https://www.nakedtourguideprague.com/
this
is another very good company and does early morning tours ,I did it last year with Marcus one of the owners started about 8.00am and we finished in the Café Louvre around 11 am, great fun and interesting tour.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 03:56 AM

This is one decent route if you decide to go for a walking tour. Last year I had to spend a day in Prague between flights and decided to try it to pass some time. No regret - great sightseeing and some of the best beer I ever tried.

1. We’re starting at the Královský letohradek, or Royal Summer Palace, which you can get to from the Královský letohradek tram stop or the nearby Hradčanská metro stop. Step into the gardens, and picture yourself as a royal – this is where the nobility would spend their summer days, and now you can enjoy the calm atmosphere and deep shade yourself. Walk up through the botanic gardens, which are filled with plant species from all around the world.

2. Once you’re outside of the gardens, take a left to go over a bridge. Right now you’re crossing over the Deer Moat, which still carries the name it was given when the Hapsburgs ruled the Czech lands of Bohemia and Moravia, and the kings used to hunt deer just steps away from the castle. Rudolf II, also known as the Mad King, even had lions in the Deer Moat.

3. Go forward through the big gate – you’re now entering the area of the Castle itself. Walk through the courtyard and then to the left, until the magnificent St. Vitus Cathedral appears in front of you in all its Gothic glory. Because of a variety of financial and other reasons, construction on the cathedral started in the 14th century and didn’t end until 1929. Inside, don’t miss the Alfons Mucha stained-glass window on the left-hand side, which depicts the life of Saint Václav, the patron saint of the Czech Republic.

4. Walk around the cathedral towards the back of it, and then downhill through the rest of the Castle complex until you’ve gone through the last gate. You’ll then see a vineyard on the left of the path. This is the oldest vineyard in the Czech lands, and it’s a great place for a refreshing drink in the warmer months, or a svařák, mulled wine, in the winter. You’ll also get a stunning view over the city.

5. Head downhill on the old stairs, and then turn right towards the Malostranská metro stop, stopping for a trdelník, or roasted round pastry, on the way if you’re hungry. They call them Old Bohemian pastries, but they actually originated in Transylvania. At the metro stop you’ll find the entrance to the Wallenstein Gardens, a Baroque garden where they have live peacocks roaming around and owls in a large cage at the back. They’re also called the Senate Gardens, because the surrounding buildings now house the Czech Senate.

6. Your next stop is the Charles Bridge – walk just far enough onto it that you’re over the Vltava River, and then look off the right side of the bridge. You’ll see a statue of a knight with a gold sword held up at attention, guarding the bridge but not a part of it; this is the Knight Bruncvík, the legendary guardian of Prague.

7. Head back towards land and then follow the route to the right, down the curving streets that will lead you to the colorful and ever-changing John Lennon wall. This area for sanctioned graffiti is where you can literally leave your mark on the city, knowing that it started as a form of passive resistance against the communist regime that outlawed western music.

8. Go back towards the river and then turn right, and eventually you’ll come upon some very strange bronze sculptures of babies without faces. These are the work of controversial Czech artist David Černý, and they’re also crawling up and down the Žižkov TV Tower.

9. Continue south until you hit the next bridge, and while you’re walking across, take in the beautiful view of the castle. If you happen to be going across at night, you can thank the Rolling Stones for illuminating the castle back in the 1990s – they still fund it even now.

10. The gold-crowned building on your right at the end of the bridge is the National Theatre, built twice in the late 19th century (the first time ended in a fire, unfortunately). The National Theatre is very close to the heart of the Czech nation, as it was a major symbol during the Czech National Revival, when they began the process that ultimately defined themselves as a nation with a language and all the various cultural trappings of their own.

11. On your left, you’ll see the famed Kavárna Slavia, a beautiful art deco cafe. Go inside for some high-end Czech cuisine, made even better by the fact that this is where important Czech political figures like first post-communist president Václav Havel used to meet and discuss their ideas.

12. Just up the street on the right, you’ll find the newly opened Pivovar Národní. Hop in for some hoppy goodness in the form of one of their three micro-brewed beers.

13. Follow the route into Charles Square for your next history lesson. One quirk of Czech history is that there have been 3 defenestrations, 2 of which precipitated wars. What’s a defenestration, you may ask? It means to murder someone by pushing him out a window. The first defenestration of Prague happened at the New Town Hall on Charles Square in 1419, when members of the Czech Hussite Church threw 7 Catholic officials out of the windows. This event was the catalyst for the Hussite wars, which lasted until 1436.

14. Your final stop is the granddaddy of Czech pub culture – U Fleků, which, thanks to its founding in 1499, has the right to call itself the oldest pub in Prague. They brew their own dark lager, and you can’t get it anywhere else. Now just kick back, relax, and enjoy that favorite Czech drink the same way they were doing it right after Columbus discovered America.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, unclegus! The early morning tour was specifically one I was interested in.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 11:30 AM

I hope you enjoy it, if you do get asked to café louvre go ,it is a lovely place.
Café Louvre - coffee, tradition, Prague
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 11:48 AM

My favorite service is Toursbylocals.com. We have used them in Prague, Milan, Barcelona, Madrid, Brussels, Kyoto, Tokyo, etc, etc. They always get you to front at busiest places and are so knowledgeable!! Also, its only your group, so no straining to hear what guide is saying, or waiting on the guide while one over zealous tourist asks a million questions! I have been please with every tour we have with them. The guides are extremely vetted!!! Hope this helps!
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 05:44 AM

You can make private E-scooter or Segway tour with local personal guided. The company which I have ridden with, they had combination option. We had Segway tour outside of tourist crowd and E-scooter in Old Town, Lesser Town and Jewish Quarter areas with private local guide. It definitely worth. Here is the website of this company pragueonsegway.com
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 09:24 AM

well segways are banned from all the tourist areas of Prague ,their replacements the e Scooter will be getting banned soon and are a bigger pest than the segways.
they tour often comes through Letna park beer garden and if any of them pisses me off there this summer as they have in the past then reports will be made to the police.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 05:10 AM

That is why Segway tours are good to get rid of tourist crowd. BTW they will never ban the e-scooters, because government consider them in bike category. Police will make fun as always (it happen to me many times) when you call them about this.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

unclegus: We arrive on May 12 and leave the 18th. We plan on getting oriented upon arrival; we're staying close to Prague Castle and arrive mid morning that day. We thought we would hit the ground and see the castle area that day. I booked the early morning tour on the 13th with Jason as you suggested. Between the 13th and the 18th, I booked a tour to Cesky Krumlov on the 16th. We are thinking about adding a half day tour to Terezin on maybe the 17th. Do you think we are shorting our selves on time in the city? I was thinking we would have plenty of time between the 13th and 17th to see the city.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 06:32 PM

Centex, I think you'll be fine. I was going to suggest a tour to Cesky Krumlov - we loved it. We stopped at Hlubocka Castle on the way for a stretch your legs break.

Pay attention to opening days of things - the Jewish cemetery and synagogues are closed Saturdays (I think).

We loved our bike tours of Prague - did it pretty much upon arriving in Prague. Great way to get oriented to the city and get that internal map sorted out.

Make sure you stop at Amorino for gelato : ) have a great trip!
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 09:18 PM

I love Prague - it's one of my top three favorite cities in the world.

If you're at all interested in the history of Jews who were taken from Prague and placed in the work camp of Terezin - this is a wonderful private tour. We took it about three years ago, and it was one of the most memorable activities we had during our week-long stay in Prague. The children's artwork that survived is on display at the Jewish Museum in Prague - but this tour completes the story.
Terezin Private Tour Pavel Batel Hlavní stránka

Also - Do not miss the Lobkowicz Palace - at the foot of the Castle. The entrance is very unobtrusive - you can easily miss one of the best places in all of Prague. Separate entrance from the Castle - so worth it. In addition there's a wonderful cafe/wine bar inside where you can sit on a small balcony overlooking the city and relax for a little while with a drink.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobkowicz_Palace

Cesky Krumlov is a lovely town - plenty of quaint shops - but be aware it is extremely crowded with tour bus passengers during the day. If you can spend a night, it quiets down late in the afternoon when the day trippers leave.

Last edited by scdreamer; Mar 17th, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 03:28 AM

your plan sounds good to me, if you are going on an organised tour to Terezin that should be good as I have only done it on my own.I will be meeting up with Jason next month for a few beers so I will tell him to look after you.