Prague: Walking Tour Guides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to travel to Prague for two days in March 2006. Can anyone recommend a good guide who does walking tours of Prague? Would also welcome any advice about the weather.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM

On our trip to Prague in May 2004, we used Sarka Pelantova for two different walking tours. We had visited Prague a couple of times before but decided we wanted to get a little different perspective. She was an excellent choice. Knowledgable and energetic, (and affordable!) she arranged the tours around our interests. I think she would be an excellent choice.

war at warobison.com
Pack Your Bags Page: www.warobison.com
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM

I recommend this site: http://www.praguer.com They offer a bunch of different tours that aren't expensive at all. I went on the 4 hour Insider Tour this past February. It was really nice. Definitely check them out!

As far as weather... I was there in mid-late February and it was freezing and snowing. I imagine it will still be chilly in March. Dress in layers is the best recommendation I can give you. Have fun! Prague is a magical city. I love it.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Have you read my trip report on Prague <The Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha>? Everyone on Fodor's considers it the "bible" on Prague. You can bring it "up" by typing the title into the search box.

As for guides, Whittman Tours has an excellent reputation. Elaine has used them, and she is one of members of the Inner Circle.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I'm blushing. (Assuming TG is not referring to Dante's Inner Circle.)

As a return compliment, here's
Pancaky.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34514397

I also have a long file on Prague, if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

In addition to Whittman Tours (especially but not exclusively good for the Jewish Quarter)
here are two individual guides I've liked:

Dana Chaloupka
http://sweb.cz/travelcz

and Jana Lukesova
[email protected]
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Can heartily endorse warobinson's recommendation of private guidae Sarka Pelantova (www.prague-guide.info). We spent three days with her in May and learned more about Prague and things Czech in general than we could have on our own in a whole week or more.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM

The OP planned to be in Prague 3 months ago.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I was in Prague in June 2006 with my family. I had found many good references for Sarka Palantova (www.prague-guide.info). I booked her in advance. We booked her for 3 days (2 days in Prague and a 1 day trip to Cresky Krumlov). She was was absolutely fantasitic. Her personal approach was really great. I appreciated her taking the time to take us to special out of the way places, places we would have never found on our own or if we had taken a standard tour. Her knowledge, enthusiasm, personality and humor made out visit to Prague truly amazing. This is our 5th summer of traveling for a full month throughout Europe. Every summer we take a different itinerary and visit 4-5 countries. I always try to find private tour guides in each major city. It is the only way to really understand a city. After finishing our visit with Sarka in Prague I asked my family members what the thought about Prague and our tour. The response was that Sarka was the best tour guide we have had in our 5 years of touring and that Prague was in the top 5 of all cities ever visited. Book her early because she is in high demand. If she is busy, she does have a group of other guides that work for her. I understand that these guides are also very good, but ask for Sarka first. I have read a few complaints about slow/no email response from Sarka. I did not experience this. She was very prompt. However, she is very busy. The reason she is very busy is because she is outstanding and the word has spread. You need to book her early.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:05 AM

bookmarking...thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM

t