Prague or Rome ?

Search

Prague or Rome ?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague or Rome ?

This post is actually for a student (my son) who is contemplating a study abroad semester at either city. He's never been abroad before and is just beginning to research both places. Loves the thought of going to either- we are still waiting to see the cost comparison of each. Both academic programs look great so that isn't a factor. I highly value the advice and opinions of all of the experts on here who have traveled so much more than our family! What do you all think are the pros/cons of each for a young man
like him? Thanks so very much for your input!
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Benefits of Rome - history, culture, good food - are obvious. Potential detriments are greater expense and hot weather if he is there over the summer and a very large city.

Benefits of Prague are lower costs, an incredible music scene, a "younger" city, great beer and nightlife, multicultural history. Possible detriments are need to learn Czech (more difficult than Italian, some of which is intuitive for a native English speaker) and a real winter - if his semester covers that time - and harder to find good food (there is a lot of good food, much hearty - but not almost universal as in Italy).

If it were me I would do Prague. But I prefer cold to heat - and have fallen in love with Prague on 3 different trips.

What language has he studied? Italian or even Spanish will help a lot in Rome, while German is very useful in Prague. (But I never had trouble getting along in either in English and very limited bits of Italian or Czech.)
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler, thanks for your quick reply. He hasn't had a language since 4 yrs. of Latin in high school. One of the reasons he would like to kind of zero in on a place early is to try to take an intro class in that country's language or do Rosetta Stone, etc. He would be going for the spring semester. We kind of thought Prague would offer less expensive cost of living. (the cost for that program is under 10K mostly inclusive which seems pretty reasonable) It will be interesting to see the total difference once he finds out the costs of the other. I think he prefers heat to cold but I don't know if the spring temps would vary much at either place at that time of year, would they?
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM

This is a tough decision since both cities are great. Prague will be much less expensive than Rome for the non-included expenses so if the decision comes down to economics then choose Prague. There will be out of pocket expenses such as traveling to other places (train, lodging, food), replacing toiletries, beer, beer, beer.

There does seem to be a large student age population in Prague, hanging around Old Town Square (and possibly other places but that's where I noticed them). If he's interested in living there for a while after college there is demand for people to teach English in Prague (after a 5 week certificate course).

I thought the food was great in Prague but it's very different than in Italy - much more meat focused (beef and pork mostly) and much heavier food. Lots of potatoes. But for a young man who will be hungry all the time this could be a plus.

Southern Italy traditionally gets warmer and dryer sooner than Prague will. If his studies extend to the end of May he will find more spring weather, damp and rainy in Prague. Rome can be quite hot by the end of May.

What is his study program? Does his major lend itself to one city over another?
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM

I thought the food was great in Prague but it's very different than in Italy - much more meat focused (beef and pork mostly) and much heavier food. Lots of potatoes. But for a young man who will be hungry all the time this could be a plus."

there is no shortages of pizzerias in Prague!
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM

danon - you're right about the pizzerias. My trip report includes the line: "there are more pizzerias in Prague than in Naples!" LOL
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also took four years of Latin which I found to be a great foundation for learning basic Italian.

While I think Prague is charming, interesting and would be a fun place to spend a few months, there is really nowhere like Rome. Wait until all the numbers are in. I wouldn't be so sure that Prague is cheaper overall.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Here is my thoughts. All throughout college and even in adulthood, I have tried to use programs that would allow me to go abroad (applied to and was accepted to LSE, worked abroad post college, etc.) It is only upon reflection that I realize that my heart was not really set on those programs, but rather I just want to see other things (experience life) for an extended period.

In other words, the typical 2 week vacation that I usually take is not sufficient. And it is only through trial and error that I realize: I do not want to be abroad for 5 month plus either. For me, traveling for 1-2 month is sufficient.

Why am I writing this? Prague or Rome--the expense will be a lot. In my future professional school, there is a program in Paris for 5 weeks and the estimate cost is $10,000. It is worth it if you truly love that program. However, it would be a waste if you just want to see the world. (You can solo travel for a fraction of the cost.) I am very grateful that I visited Paris last summer, otherwise, I might have tried to use that program to go to Paris (just like I did in college/post college).

Currently in my hometown I see a lot of foreign exchange students. These kids have paid a hefty fee (well, their parents did) and sometimes, I would see and hear them say "I miss home, I want to go home, etc." There is so much stimulation surrounding them, but for some reason, they cannot appreciate/interact with this tremendous resource.

What do I suggest? Maybe a summer abroad program is within horizon. Or perhaps, let your son travel throughout Europe for 2-4 weeks this summer. If I had a child, I would probably have him/her do a summer abroad program and use the remaining summer to travel throughout that continent. Or maybe just a pure backpacking throughout Europe for one summer vacation. If after traveling throughout Europe he still has that urge to do a semester abroad program, then you should seriously contemplate: Rome or Prague. If my experience is worth anything, personally, if I had visited Europe, I would not have applied to LSE.

Okie. Onto a more fun topic:
Rome and Prague are two different cities. VERY DIFFERENT. What does your son hope to obtain? Their history is very different.

Some college friends were truly interested in public health issues, so they went to Africa. Whereas some friends were truly interested in partying/relaxing, so they want to Australia. Others were truly interested in policy/history, so they went to London. Others were interested in fashion, so they went to Paris/Milan.
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful information all around. Thank you. hobbitt, I agree with much of what you brought up. His trip is not intended to be a "vacation", but is part of his requirement to graduate. He can travel abroad in a program or do an internship. I wish our/his budget allowed for us to send our kids to do a fun solo excursion in Europe, but alas we are knee deep in tuition right now In fact, if the numbers aren't right for this study abroad possibility (within reason of what we would pay for T/R/B- but knowing it is going to be a bit more) he is going to need to pursue the internship instead. (He's thinking Hawaii ... His major is landscape architecture, does that make any difference?
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM

I did a summer abroad at 16. I had to qualify accademically and then I contributed a part of the cost (lots of babysitting and tutoring jobs) so I could go. I studied German in junior and high school and this opportunity was based on language skills so I attended the University of Salzburg for a summer semester. That trip changed my life!

We were also taken to a few other major European cities including Rome, Munich, Berlin. We actually landed in Rome and that was it - love at first sight! It was so much more than anything I had imagined it would be! There was sooo much to see and experience and I love Rome to this day. Cities like Paris and London have never managed to compare.

The historical significance of the Roman Empire, the catacombs, the street markets - all were an eye opening experience for teenager whose only travel until then had been to Florida on family vacations.

I have since been back to Rome a dozen or so times and will continue to go there for many more I hope. The richness of the experience and the easy access to places like Pompeii, Florence, etc., all make Rome a wonderful choice.

JMO.

I have not yet been to Prague but have had a couple of trips booked to go there while in Germany. we somehow always choose to go elsewhere. I may one day but it just is not high on my list.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM

I would go to Rome as well. There is so much learning to do in that city and nearby towns.

Prague is a fun/relaxing city, but I would go to Rome if I wanted to do study abroad.

Hope your son achieves all he desires
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were a young man, I would choose Prague. Actually if I were a young man, I would choose Kraków after seeing all the beautiful women in that city. Come to think of it, that's sort of why I picked San Diego State.

Old May 21st, 2010, 04:59 PM

Can't comment on the weather since we don;t know when his "Spring" semester would be.

Rome is much farther south and gets spring - and summer earlier (weather sort of like the carolinas)

Prague is on the central european plain and has a real winter (weather more like NY or equivalent) with substantial snow.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM

Having a son who studied at the Charles University in Prague (is that where he is going?)and in Torino Italy I would pick Rome.However, I also work as an international flight attendant and try and go to Rome as much as possible as I love the city!

My son loved Prague although he attended the university from January to May(spring semester) and he said it was the coldest winter of his life and we are from Chicago.That said, he was able to go to many different cities in Eastern Europe that he might not have had the chance to visit-Krakow,Riga, Budapest,etc.He loved the school and all of the international/American students that he met.Learning the language is next to impossible so there was a 3 week course on "just basics" to get around. He lived in a dorm and really enjoyed the city.

Torino (although not Rome) was great for him as he loved the food,culture,learning the language and traveling around not only Italy but other parts of Europe on the discount airlines.He had an apartment that the school had provided but it was too far from the school which caused problems when the buses were on strike,etc.That was one of the reasons that he transferred to Prague the next semester although it was with the same study abroad program.

Most kids will tell you that they love Rome because it is Rome and in Italy. I do think that most of the kids that attend Cabot University in Rome or the American University don't really get into the real culture there. I see them hanging with just their American friends rather than mixed groups over in Trastevere everyweek.They seem to burn through money in nanoseconds at the bars and restaurants which is sad.

Personally, I would recommend a school in Sicily that my daughter went to one semester in the city of Ortigia(which is the older part of Siracusa) on the Eastern side. She shared an apartment with 2 other girls but was completely absorbed into the Sicilian way of life. Everyday was shopping at the outdoor market with her "bread man","cheese man',"fruit guy" etc. Very few Sicilians speak English so she picked up conversational Italian quite quickly.
The school went on amazing trips to Mt. Etna,Palermo,etc. But she also went to Tunisia for her spring break;weekend trip to Malta,etc.There were only about 25 Americans on the whole island who were students so you became part of the culture.

Give us some info about your son and where he goes to school,etc. Just remember that you don't have to go overseas to only where you "real school" wants you to go. Just make sure that it is an accredited program and that the credits will transfer.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies thus far; they are filled with great information to share with him. dutyfree, he would be going for the same timeframe as your son- January to May. When I told him about what you said about the winter weather in Prague, he said "Rome is looking better all the time". He isn't a cold weather person at all. I think he is supposed to hear back about the Italy program next week, so we will know more about the costs, where they stay, the facilities, etc. His school is supposedly very picky about what approved courses he can take and transfer back (they must be with a school that is an accredited LA program) so that does limit him somewhat. He is also beginning to look into interships here stateside just in case he/we can't afford to go abroad at this time. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

P.S. maitaitom, I had to laugh at your reply...one of the first things he said to me about the Rome program was he couldn't wait to be surrounded by all of the beautiful Italian women He had no clue about Krakow....!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM

With experience in Latin, Italian should be a lot easier to learn than Czech and he can hop on a train to other cities.

I enjoyed a couple of weeks in Prague but froze in October; Jan and Feb must be verrrry cold.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:21 AM

Kandsmom-I would definitely recommend going online and researching study abroad prgrams that have LA (which I suspect are not that prevalent in Europe?).Most universities in the states want you to go to only their school so that they can keep the money within their system.Its possible to find a great school overseas that is a good fit for your student if you research alot.