Prague Budapest vienna

May 29th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Prague Budapest vienna

Hi. My husband and I are traveling to Prague in August for 2 1/2 weeks and have rented a car. We will return car back to Prague after our trip is done. We definitely want to spend time in Austria but canít decide where else to go. Budapest, Switzerland, Germany?? We have bee to Munich only in Germany. Can you give suggestions of cities, countries and how many days in each? Thank you.
Susan
May 29th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board
May 29th, 2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by waresusan View Post
Hi. My husband and I are traveling to Prague in August for 2 1/2 weeks and have rented a car. We will return car back to Prague after our trip is done. We definitely want to spend time in Austria but canít decide where else to go. Budapest, Switzerland, Germany?? We have bee to Munich only in Germany. Can you give suggestions of cities, countries and how many days in each? Thank you.
Susan
Exactly how many days will have on the ground? Exclude your arrival and departure days from the total. And think in terms of nights. For example, 4 nights in a city equals to 3 days of sightseeing.

Please provide your interests (history? Art? Food?) In order for us to provide suggestions.

Regardless, doing some basic research in the region will help at least for a base idea of where to go and for how long. In each city/location identify your top priorities for sightseeing, which will give you an idea how long you need. Figure time at most museums and historical landmarks (castles) to be roughly 3-4 hours, depending your interests.1-2 hours for smaller sights (i.e. some churches, small museums). Again, time of year is a factor - especially in Prague. August is VERY busy.

Figure your time in transit, plus checking in/out of accommodations, time at train station, etc. as well.

I noticed you said you will "return your car in Prague." Unless you're venturing into the countryside, a car may not be needed as train is much more efficient and parking is a hassle in most cities.

Have you booked your flights? I highly suggest you consider flying open jaw - in one city, and out another (depending on your itinerary). For example, into Prague and out of Vienna. This will save you time and money getting back to Prague in the end.
May 29th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. We booked flights already with the intention of getting a car for the entire time to see lots of country sites along the way. I know dropping off a car in another country is very expensive. We have 16 nights with the first 3 nights reserved in Prague. History, countryside and food probably our largest interest. We would love to see sites along the Danube river.
May 30th, 2019, 06:50 AM

I did a Prague, Vienna, Budapest trip several years ago, although all of our transportation was by train. Those three cities are a good grouping. If you're looking to spend a lot of time in the countryside, though, three large cities plus small country towns is probably too much for the amount of time you have.

In Vienna we bought a ticket package that took us by train from Vienna to Melk, allowed us entry into the Melk Abbey, boat cruise along the Danube river to Krems, and then train back to Vienna from there. It was a really enjoyable outing. I'm sure there's a way to do this by car. There were several little towns we saw from the boat that would be easy to stop in if you were driving this route.

I haven't been there, but I know Cesky Krumlov is a popular day trip from Prague.
May 30th, 2019, 06:55 AM

With all due respect, your request for itinerary help is so very wide open, making it difficult to respond. "History, countryside, and food" is not much of a filter, either, as this part of Europe is brimming with all of the aforementioned.

I live in Vienna and could easily offer suggestions for a 16 day visit in my adopted country alone. Perhaps consult a few travel guides and narrow down that which truly interests you, and then return with more specific questions related to your itinerary.
May 30th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Wanting to avoid a drop-off charge with a car rented in Country A and dropped in Country B does not dictate that you have to fly RT into one city. Given the destinations you have mentioned, nothing would preclude you from flying into Prague, using the car to explore a bit, then taking a train (or two) elsewhere, picking up another car, and returning it to that same country. If you did that, you'd avoid all the hassles that are going to come with "wanting to have a car the whole time."

But I agree, you haven't told us much, and what you have told us seems not entirely practical.
May 30th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Lots of different options here, but taking a stab in the dark...

You could do something like this:

Prague: 5 nights with day trips to Moravian countryside/vineyards - a beautiful but often overlooked region in the Czech Republic - maybe a day trip to Kutna Hora or Telc, cute little countryside towns
Cesky Krumlov (one of the most stunning medieval towns in Europe, complete with castle): 1 night
Salzburg (adorable town with lots of countryside): 2 nights
Vienna: 3 nights with day trips to nearby countryside or vineyards (others can chime on in the best areas here)
Budapest: 3 nights
Drive or train back to Prague for flight
Prague: 1 night before flight

This itinerary might be a little hectic, so you could remove Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg and add more nights to the main cities (Prague, Vienna, Budapest) and just add on day trips. Lots of great countryside that's reachable from all those places, but I'm more of a city girl, so others will need to help with those suggestions

Can also do less days in Prague, add those days to Vienna or Budapest. I lived in Prague for awhile and am biased towards it, but others will say that Vienna and Budapest are bigger (which is true) and you might prefer more days there to explore. But this gives you a general idea of the KIND of itinerary/structure you could develop.
May 30th, 2019, 03:31 PM

If you want to see more of Czech Republic than just Prague, then I agree with fleur de lis about Telc, Kutna Hora, and Cesky Krumlov. Also recommend Karlovy Vary for a very different experience. KV is known for its mineral springs and spas. It's a fun place to visit, and architecturally and visually, it is very different from Prague and CK.
May 30th, 2019, 05:23 PM

I took a bus from Prague to CK. Spent a night in CK then took the Lobo Shuttle to Linz but it now also goes directly to Vienna, as do other shuttles. Then I had my Vienna hotel arrange a one-day minivan tour to Budapest. I put my luggage in the back of the minivan and stayed in Budapest when the tour returned to Vienna. Tour driver even parked right by my hotel (Marriott on the river) after the tour was over and the others had a couple of hours to have lunch and explore on their own.

On the other hand, I remember someone posting here that they picked up a car in Prague and dropped it in Budapest. The drop off fee was only $150 or so. Not a bad cost, at all! Think it may have been Stu Dudley or Stu Tower?

So, fly into Prague and out of Budapest or vice-versa is my suggestion.

Last edited by joannyc; May 30th, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
May 30th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Do you need Intenational Driving Permit to go along with your regular license? Some countres mandatory by law.