Prague in April- 2 other destinations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I was in Prague last year for a week and loved it! I'm very happy that my oldest stepdaughter chose to study in Prague for her spring semester.

We would like to take my youngest stepdaughter (19 years old) to visit her in April.

We will have 10 days. We are looking for a destination to visit for 3 days before Prague and a destination for 3 days after Prague.

Any thoughts on where to go before and after Prague? Maybe Budapest, Salzburg or Vienna? Thanks for your help!!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Budapest and Vienna are the obvious choices. My wife and I did a trip to all three staying 4 days at each. Prague being our clear favourite. The Church of St Cyril and Methodicus was a big highlight for us. That was where the assassins of Heydrich were finally cornered by the Nazis and eventually died. There is a wonderful little museum there dedicated to this event. The whole story is told in the film Operation Daybreak.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM

We will be pairing Berlin and Prague for 8 nights in April.

You may wish to narrow it down to two cities, as you will lose at least half a day in travel time for each city chosen. Then choose a day trip out of Prague or your second city.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Apologies for horning in but hoping the answer will help you, too, sammy(which is why I'm not emailing her):

LeighTravel...would you offer a bit of info re: traveling between the cities? TIA
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I think your ideas are good ones -- Austria or Budapest -- as long as you want to see those. Of course, it completely depends on how you want to get between the points, as flying you can do almost anything -- Prague is a short flight (about 2 hrs or less) from Paris, London or Amsterdam, for example. Last summer I flew into Prague from Amsterdam myself, on Czech Air. So, by air you could do a lot.

By train, I think your ideas make sense, and those are good places to visit anyway, if you haven't been there. Of course, places in Germany are equally easy if you wanted to do that (Munich or Dresden aren't that far from Prague by train, especially Dresden). It's not as easy to get from Munich to Prague by train, though, you have to transfer. That's no doubt true for Salzburg, also, though. It may even be trickier to get from Salzburg to Prague than from Munich, at least by train. Vienna and Budapest are easier.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Yes driving between these cities is very easy and each leg will take maybe half a day. However we did Vienna-Budapest as the last leg and border control going into Hungary is still a little bit like 'going behind the iron curtain' and there can be miles and miles of traffic. Of the three cities Budapest was our least favourite.
One more tip, when you are in Prague try to see a little of the suburbs. Take the underground to somewhere near the end of a line and just get out and look round the area. Visit a few shops and just wander round.It's really fascinating.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Oh the drive from Prague to Vienna takes you past the city of Brno. A great example of a communist city.Rows and rows of identical buildings.All the same drab grey. It really is very different.