Notices

zurich airport question

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
esg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zurich airport question

On our return day we are departing Spiez with a nontransfer train to Zurich airport. We'll be flying on Continental. How close is airport train stop to terminal? Walking distance with wheeled duffle bags? Train arrives at 8:30 for a 10:30 flight. Will this be enough time. Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM

The train station for the airport is in the lower level of the airport terminal.

There are luggage carts that can be used on the escalatros which take you to the levels above and the ticketing area, etc.

If you feel two hours is enough time to check in, etc., you should be fine...unless you feel more time is needed. You will only need a few minutes to get from the train platform up to the ticketing area.

I can assure you the train will almost undoubtedly arrive on time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
esg
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey, its just the info I needed.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM

The check-in for Continental can be really MOBBED, I took that flight a lot when I lived in Zurich. Even business class is slow. In addition to not having enough personnel, they have to ask you those inane questions about who packed for you, etc., and this slows everything down. Then you have to get through Immigration, usually not too bad, no lines generally. But the security lines can be truly awful for the morning flights as lots of people are departing for the US and business people for day trips within Europe. If your flights is not on a weekday this is a bit better, except for Saturday mornings which can be bad as well. But if this is a weekday, I would be a bit wary of having less than 2 hours.

Although Dukey is correct that the distance is not great (the airport is actually across the street, it is not in the same building as the train station, but just follow signs, you want Check-in 2 for Continental Airlines), this assumes that your train is precisely on time. While the Swiss are very good, they are not perfect and Murphy’s law is of course in operation just when you don’t need it to be....

When I look at the rail.ch schedule, I don’t in fact see any train which leaves Spiez in time to arrive at Zurich Airport at 8:30 am; all I see are a train which departs at 6:15 am, requires no changes and arrives at Zurich Airport at 8:16 am (which might be a little bit better) and one which leaves at 6:50 am, requires 2 changes and arrives at Zurich Airport at 8:46 am (too late). What train are you referring to? There is also a 5:46 am train which arrives at 7:50 am with one change in Berne that would be a better choice IMO.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
esg
Original Poster

Thanks Cicerone, I was planning on the 6:15 train out of Spiez arriving as you noted at 8:16, and our return day will be Sunday.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM

At least on a Sunday you won’t be dealing with security lines filled with Swiss businesspeople, but if this were my trip I’d take the 5:46 am train just to make sure...the airport website also shows that flight as departing at 10:15 am FYI. Also I don’t know when your trip is, but the schedules currently on the rail.ch site now are winter schedules, so if you trip is in the spring/summer, keep checking the schedules as the train times may change by a few minutes or they may add trains. A few minutes change in time could make a big difference, esp if you are late in getting to the station.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
esg
Original Poster

Departure flight to Newark at 10;35. I will take your advice on earlier train even with transfer for peace of mind.