Eagles Nest from Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been told that the road up to Eagles Nest does not open until June 6, 2019 because of weather.
If this is true would it ever open at last minute if the weather cleared? Would like to go from Salzburg on June 4.
Thanks
Old May 28th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Opening Dates. The Eagles Nest is open from middle of may to middle of oktober. ... The Eagles Nest is a restaurant today. It is open to the general public.>

If it's open mid May, then maybe you can access it by driving part way up to -if road closed beyond that - drive to where the elevator is. Buses go to it so assume you could drive.

The Eagles' Nest is about all that's left of the Berghof - Hitler's hideout with lots of edifices and miles of tunnels - just a restaurant but can take in sweet views Hitler was often photographed looking thru binoculars. But according to a great documentary of Hitler's Berghof and Eagles' Nest I just saw on PBS - Hitler did not like the Eagle's Nest and rarely went there but his wife or girlfriend did.

Searching out the remains of the Berghof that was largely demolished in an air raid late in the war sounds like fun:

https://www.uncommon-travel-germany.com/berghof.html

Last edited by PalenQ; May 28th, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It is only shut down if the weather is bad. The museum and the bunkers are very interesting so visit them even if it is closed. We went one time and we had snow in October and the bus couldn't get up the mountain but open otherwise.
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:45 PM

I believe that the only way to visit the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest) is to park at the Nazi Documentation Center, purchase a ticket and access the site by bus. Only buses are allowed on the mountain road to the site.

Plan on sending time at the documentation center, which features the history of the Nazi Party and details the layout of the Obersalzberg complex near Berchstesgaden. Part of the visit is a visit to the tunnels below the center.

Hugh
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:13 PM

Huggy is correct, only buses go that last leg up to the Eagle’s Nest.
Old May 28th, 2019, 09:02 PM

Hi borntraveler,

You are right; according to the website, it does not open until 6 June:

https://www.kehlsteinhaus.de

This thread on another forum has more Information:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...a_Bavaria.html

I am curious where Pal and Macross got the information that it is open year round?

As to your question -- no, they will not open at the last minute if the weather suddenly clears up. It does not make good financial sense to staff the facility on the off chance that a handful of tourists will suddenly show up. They have to plan their staffing, of course, months ahead of time.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Last edited by swandav2000; May 28th, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 29th, 2019, 09:13 AM

I am curious where Pal and Macross got the information that it is open year round?>

https://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/english/

says can't drive up prviate road but take shuttle buses only.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:01 PM

Don’t know the rest of your trip plans, but since you are near Salzburg, Herrenchiemsee Castle is well worth a visit, even better if you can get tickets to a concert.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:13 PM

to figure out when Eagle's Nest and road opens simply email or call them - as it's after mid-May.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:23 PM

It was open in October when we went but snowed on the day and was treacherous for the bus to take the road. I read where it is open but they had recent snow and the bus could not make the journey. I don't think it is open all year because the bus can't do the journey but someone on TA said they went up this week already when the snow had melted.
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:09 PM

The Eagle’s Nest Historical Tour is offered daily, departing from our office in Berchtesgaden (see below) at 1:15 p.m. It runs from around mid-May through October, provided the Eagle’s Nest road is open and lasts about four hours. The price of the tour is EUR 55 per person (active duty military, students and seniors of 65 and over qualify for a EUR 3 discount) and EUR 38 for children from 8 through 14 years of age (due to the intense historical focus of this tour we do not accept bookings for children under 8). The price includes all entrance fees and transportation. As our tours are limited in size, it is advisable to book in advance.
Old May 29th, 2019, 09:45 PM

Pal, that site says it is open from mid-May through October. I got the idea Macross was saying it was open year round; "it only shuts down if the weather is bad" sounds like that to me.

Yes, I get that normally it will open in mid-May, but this year, due to heavy snowfall over the winter, it won't open until 6 June -- as the link I linked says (though only in German).

Right, Macross if that's the one I also saw -- they said they hiked up, and everything was closed and dark.

s
Old May 30th, 2019, 03:43 AM

I think the museum is open all year but not the tea house. The museum is well worth the trip and the bunkers were very interesting though the hair on my neck stood up. I thought of the slave labour they used to build it all. We had trouble getting to the museum that day with the surprise snow. Very hilly there.
Old May 30th, 2019, 04:30 AM

Hi again Macross -- Do you mean the Document Center in Obersalzurg? Otherwise.. could you please let us know where you are seeing that the Eagle's Nest is open year round?

Thanks!

s
Old May 30th, 2019, 05:06 AM

I've been to Berchtesgaden twice in May and the Eagle's Nest wasn't open on either trip.

I do recommend the Documentation Center in Obersalzburg. It's filled with information and with an audio tour can take several hours. It's mentally exhausting but very interesting and worthy of a trip.
Old May 30th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Opening Hours

Dokumentation Obersalzberg (I said Museum but yes Dokumentation Center)

April until October

Mon - Sun, 9 am - 5 pm,
last admission 4 pm

November until March

Tues - Sun, 10 am - 3 pm,
last admission 2 pm
closed Mondays

Closed January 1 and November 1 as well as December 24, 25, und 31.

Tip

Please note the rules of conduct (PDF) of the during your visit.

There is no catering at the Obersalzberg Documentation.
Please note that there are currently no restaurants or other eating establishments directly at the Obersalzberg Documentation. The next restaurant is about 10 to 20 minutes on foot. Reservations are recommended for larger groups.

The Eagle’s Nest Historical Tour is offered daily, departing from our office in Berchtesgaden (see below) at 1:15 p.m. It runs from around mid-May through October, provided the Eagle’s Nest road is open and lasts about four hours. Off the website for tours, you have to take a bus, can't drive yourself.

The Documentation center is open most of the year except holidays.Yikes, lost in translation.. The Kehlsteinhaus is closed in winter due to road but the historuical tour comapany said they have been running tours weather permitting now.
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

s