Prague Airport Taxis

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Airport Taxis

Which is the best taxi company to use from the Prague airport to the Prague Hilton? I have heard several stories about dishonest Prague taxi drivers.

There are 3 of us, so I assume that a taxi is more convenient than public transport.

Ozborn
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM

AAA is considered the most reliable.

They have group shuttle vans at the airport for a flat fee, which you don't have to reserve in advance. I have used them with great satisfaction Also, I'm sure the Prague Hilton has a driver they use which can be sent for you and wait for a reasonable fee, most 3* and higher hotels do that in Prague. It's a common business, and I've used that, also. It costs more than the group vans, of course, but should be a flat fee. Ask your hotel.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM

By the way, I'm not sure AAA is waiting at the curb at the Prague airport as I didn't use a taxi there. Some of those companies are only by call.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Have used regular cabs from the airport several times with o problem. Just make sure you know how much to pay (ask your hotel) and then make sure they know that's all you'll pay.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM

You might want to check with www.mike-chauffeur.cz and get a price. We used them a couple of times and were pleased. Do be careful and if you decide on a taxi ask your hotel how much you should be paying and refuse to pay more as mentioned. You wouldn't believe some prices we were quoted at the railstation.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM

If public transport is available, I wouldn't even bother with a cab. My experience in Prague strongly suggested that the cab drivers there are shameless rip-off artists, though to be fair, I've seen some positives posted about AAA on this website.

If you feel you must take a cab anyway, would suggest: don't accept a ride from any cab without a meter unless you've set the price first, avoid taking just any old cab at the curb (if it's AAA you want, see if you can call them directly to arrange a ride), and definitely don't accept a ride from any aggressive cabbie who tries to drum up business by soliciting inside the terminal.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM

I just returned from Prague last week and used www.prague-airport-shuttle.com. In my opinion, they were excellent. The charge from the airport to my hotel in Old Town was 550cz, which was around $27US. They met me right outside the arrivals area, and the driver was extremely informative and gave me many good tips and ideas as well as a very good overview of Prague itself. Not sure where you're from, but the driver was American, so don't worry about not being understood should English be your primary language.

Should you wish to use a taxi, my shuttle driver told me to use AAA taxi because they are the most reputable, but to be careful, because some of the disreputable taxi companies in Prague are now putting AAA on their taxis along with the name of their companies.

Yes, there is public tranportation from the airport to the city center, but if this is your first visit to Prague, I would recommend using a transport service to get to your hotel. Then once you get your bearings, definitely use the metro to get around if you don't feel like walking (and Prague is very walkable). Prague's public tranport system is very easy to navigate, but again, if this is your first visit, I wouldn't do it.

Happy travels and I hope you have as great a time in Prague as I've had!!
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM

I just got back from Prague yesterday and used Prague airport shuttle
http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com
I have used them beofre and this time gave the usual excellent service.
Run by an Americam expat and with english speaking drivers i can highlt recommend this company.
Public transport from the Airport is akward and time consuming.if on a very strict budget go for it but otherwise use the service i and other have reccommended,the prices are flat rate fixed fee and very reasonable.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM

We used cabs in CZ but I always asked how much before we got in.

Also, we hired a car to take us from the airport to our Pension. The Pension arranged it for us because they use him regularly. His name is Martin Janacek and he was great. You can reach him at www.transfersprague.com mobile #+420-608-834-821. It cost about $30 US from the airport to Praha 2.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Taking public transport out of Prague airport is simplicity itself. You can get anywhere in the city for 26 crowns.

Take the 119 bus ... there is one every twenty minutes or so...from Prague's terminal 1 to the A line metro stop at Dejvicka. One 26 crown ticket covers both the bus and the metro. One buys a ticket from the machine at the airport bus stop. It does not accept bills, so have some coin available. From Dejvicka you can access pretty much the entire city with a minimum of fuss and bother. Probably quicker than a taxi ride, too, given that you aren't troubled with surface traffic. Luggage might be a problem, if you're carrying more than one piece, exclusive of carry-on.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM

A few points about the public transport ride that I missed.

Don't worry about getting off the bus at the wrong stop...the 119 terminates at Dejvicka. When everyone else gets off, so should you.

English instructions are available on the ticket machines...just press the 'English' button.

Nothing could be easier, and this method leaves one more cash to blow on the excellent Czech beer!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM

We had a good experience following the 'ask how much' and pay only that....having been instructed by our hotel what the prices should be. Of course the ONE time we did not ask (leaving the opera house), we got to the hotel and it was 5x the expected price. We did not pay until we had approached the bellman at the hotel for his assist, and he was able to negotiate a reasonable fare. We found several of the drivers spoke just enough English, so when we tried to strike up a conversation and get recommendations....it was beyond his ability. So we just enjoyed the scenery along the way.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM

The airport at Prague isn't that far outside the city, I would imagine taking the bus and transferring and walking or whatever could easily take more time, not to mention be a problem with luggage of any size. Especially for newcomers, they may not know their way around and the Czech alphabet may be unknown to them. Taxis in Prague aren't that expensive to begin with, nor is a private car from the airport that works for a hotel (many do this). At least, it isn't very expensive compared to many cities, but sure, if you only want to spend the equivalent of a couple euro, public transport would work better. But if your hotel isn't right near a metro stop, that could be a big problem, and the tram/bus lines are not going to be that obvious to a first-timer who just got there. Not to mention doing all that with baggage upon arrival -- well, I don't think it's worth the few euro savings, but if you do, give it a go.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Re Christina's reply:

"the Czech alphabet may be unknown to them."

Did the Czechs change to Cyrillic or something else since I last visited? I'm not aware of it, myself.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM

bachslunch, a rather silly statement on your behalf methinks. It may not be Cyrillic but it is different than the one they use in the US of A. http://www.phespirit.info/alphabet/czech.htm

I might add that smart alec comments such as yours tend to dissuade people that have valuable input from posting...
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM

ChrisinPrague, far from being a "smart alec," I'm in fact making a very reasonable point here. I've indeed been to Prague, and I don't remember seeing any street signs or taxi cab markings that had letters I didn't recognize from English. Your Czech alphabet link contains letters which are the same as those used in English, though several are repeated with diacritical marks over them, and it notes that Q, W, and X are used in foreign words only.

I have no doubt that several non-Czech visitors to Prague will have little or no command of the Czech language. But that's not the same as Christina's suggestion that the Czech alphabet will be a hindrance to them. I'm thinking language yes, alphabet no in terms of problems. I can see the point regarding, say, languages using the Cyrillic or Greek alphabets causing problems for Western European or US visitors. But Czech doesn't use these.

Sorry, but there's nothing silly about it. And should you have a problem with how I express myself, that's certainly not my problem.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM

very valid points I must say! May I ask how many times you have been here and how long you stayed?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Have made one visit to Prague and spent a week there. Lovely city with stunning architecture, very worthy museums and churches -- as far as I'm concerned, this city should be a very high priority for anyone weighing which European cities they ought to visit.