prague

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prague

HI...We are going to Prague for only three days this coming November. We have never been there before..we love museums, art, beer and anything else this lovely city has to offer. If you only had 3 days in Prague in November, what would you do?? thanks...
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM

we had three days in prague
i booked hotel antik based on good reviews but the guy who took the booking ( i phoned and booked directly with the hotel) placed us in their sister hotel antik city...not good..cost us a morning of traipsing around and another taxi fare and the hotel was in a district further from the centre..something we definitely didnt want...

i am not a fan of prague...i was so looking forward to it but we just kept running into dodgey dealings... ( the locals we dealt with were lovely...im talking about the tourist side of dealings here)

we were channelled into an unregistered cab ( arranged by the guy who was running the antik city hotel -said it was his uncle) who ripped us off big time.. THE REGISTERED CABS 'AAA'
are the ones to book/hail

we had a drug dealer offering us stuff near W square and to top off the night we witnessed a bouncer beat up a young american kid who had left without paying the 20% service charge at a restaurant/cafe near the astronomical clock..I was so shocked and upset that i couldnt sleep that night

we found the city dirty...after being in pristine vienna it was sad to see a city so neglected
butts everywhere...paint peeling ..the river full of rubbish..it just wasnt the city i imagined it to be
we were shortchanged too..so do check when you buy stuff and know the currency

in saying all this...the city certainly is beautiful and im not saying that it isnt worth a visit

we were disillusioned on that first day and decided to go to cesky krumlov..that restored us a great deal
we caught the train from the main station ( we walked from our hotel) the 6:23 from platform 5 it was 360 kroner..very cheap..cheaper still that we bought the tickets on the sunday not the saturday when we first enquired at the ticket box

we had to sit in the back part of the train..the conductor was very nice and explained that they seat people who are travelling to CK at the back cos some get off at Ceske Budjovica ( home of the beer)
we were in CK by 10:05
Had good streudel but awful coffee at Krumlovsky Mlyn

and a better afternoon tea at Van goghs later

great photo opportunities in CK>..it truly is a pretty place with the buildings and the river winding through it

the day was great though...definitely worth a daytrip
we caught the train back in the afternoon and were back in prague by early evening
we had a lovely meal ( recommended by a random lady i asked) at Stoleti in the theatre district...great atmosphere and frequented by locals...we were told to avoid recommendations made by hotels cos they get a kickback and the places they steer you towards are apparently very touristy and overpriced

we also visited Mala Strana ( Little Quarter) and walked Petrin Park..good photo opportunites here as you look over the city..there a tower fashioned on the eiffel tower in the park...282 steps i counted ( could be wrong LOL but im not going back to check)..views are great
St Loretta church was closed by 4;30 and were jostle out ..yes lol!...still makes me chuckle.. to be actually manhandled by a legoblock of a lady who took no nonsense from us tourists!

..quaint little puppet shop in Nerudova st
you might want to find it if you like that kind of thing

everyone who has travelled to prague ( and theres a few colleagues of mine) loved it...we just happened to experience some bad bumps in that short period of time which exacerbated that first negative impression we got when our hotel booking turned sour
hope YOU have a great time!
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 11:31 PM

http://www.prague.net/itineraries-in-prague
this website has loads of info, I have set the page to Itineraries so you can see the sort of things you can do.
lots of museums,I think the main one at the top of Wenseslas Sqaure may still be closed due to refurbishment. Prague is a very easy curt to get around and most of the main sites easily walkable but you may want to take a tram up to the castle area and walk down.
what are your dates for Novemeber,I will be back in the city from late October till the 7th November.I will be staying in the Dejvicka area of the city
This website is a great one to find good pubs.
http://www.praguebeergarden.com/
if you let me know where you are staying I can try and recommend some places nearby.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM

I loved Prague even though it was very crowded. I would suggest the following:

-Walk around the Old Town (Stare Mesto)
-Ascend the clock tower for great views of the Square
-Walk around the Josefov and perhaps visit some of the old synagogues
-Cross the Charles Bridge to Mala Strana and wander around, visiting some of the churches
-Visit Strahov Monastery
-Visit Prague Castle
-While at the Castle, be sure to go inside St. Vitus' Cathedral -- the light through the stain glass is lovely.

While I love museums (especially art museums), Prague was one of the few cities I have visited where I did not go to a museum (if you don't count the churches, synagogues or castle). The best museum in Prague is all the varied, unspoilt architecture surrounding you.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Delaine's suggestion of the Strahov monastry is a very good one ,the library there recently reopened after a massive and very expensive refurbishment and it is quite stunning ,i was lucky enough to see it before hand,whilst the work was in progress and the final result,just stunning, BUT also because you can indulge in a bit of beer tasting there at the Klasterini Pivovary ( right opposite the Library),one of my favourite micro breweries in the city,the food is pretty good in there too.
http://www.klasterni-pivovar.cz/inde...4&languageID=2
I shall be in there at the beginning of Nsovember with some friend for a little session,their IPA is outstanding and one of the best I have tasted anywhere but they also do seasonal beers, they have just brought out their Anti depressant autumn dark ale,so i will just have to go try it.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all of your great suggestions..I really appreciate it..we haven't booked our accommodations yet..we hope to find a nice apartment. Any suggestions of apartments or areas would be appreciated.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:53 PM

http://www.travelcook.com/
have a look at this company ,I have used them a few times in the past, most recently last year.For a first time visitor I would suggest any where in Prague 1,the Old Town but anywhere near the old town should be fine.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 06:57 AM

You know, there's a ton of information on the interweb regarding Prague.

Skip lanejohann's screed. There's plenty to do in Prague and you need only take public transport for it and stay in Prague 1 to be outside the drug/prostitution zones.

Getting an apartment for 2-3 nights (what's "three days" - two nights, three nights or four nights?) is unlikely. Decide on a budget for hotels (which are not expensive compared to Western European capitals).
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM

I think the major sites in a guidebook would be the typical for a first-timer -- the Castle complex, main square, Jewish section if you are interested in that history, the bridge, then maybe the area just across the river Mala Strana, I guess.

I never had any trouble in Prague. Lots of hotels have private drivers they work with, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that. They don't pretend to be taxis, should be a flat fare. It's always been worth it to me, I stay in different hotels than Antik, though, so maybe they are better, I know they care about their reputation and client satisfaction (Maximillian and Pariz are the 2 I stay at). But maybe it wasn't a rip off, hard to say.

I don't stay out late in clubs and in bad areas, so probably avoid some of the unpleasant stuff, I agree.