itinerary for 4 days in prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 3. Mother, father and 30 years old son.Would love for someone to give me a four day itinerary for prague. We would like to stay in prague for the four days and not do any day trips during that time.Should we combine areas or do one section each day?? Also would love some ideas where the 30 year old son can go for a beer at night. We are staying in New Town area.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Would highly recommend doing a search on this forum (which covers Prague well) and some guidebooks, deriving a possible itinerary depending on your interests, then posting it for feedback.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with bachslunch. My 4-day itinerary may not suit your interests, and some people can move through the attractions faster than we can.

Your son will have no trouble whatsoever finding a place for a beer.

http://www.czechbeerguide.com/pubs.html
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Beer is EVERYWHERE!!! and it is GREAT!!! and I am not a beer drinker but I was in Prague. Do a search here and online to see what sites interst you. The Old Town and Jewish part were my favorites. The castle hill is also nice as is the bridge - well, you see what I mean. Prague was one of my favorite cities ever and they have Moser glass too.
Happy travels!!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM

We were in the Czech Republic in August for the 2nd time. We LOVE Prague!!!! We spent 3 whole days in Prague. We stayed in Mala Strana, the side of the river where the castle is located but down below.

We spend one day on the castle side of the bridge. Took our time walking up Nerudova St., enjoying the views, and window shopping. We bought tickets to tour the inside of the castle, which included St. Vitus Cathedral, Golden Lane, the church next to the cathedral (it's red, can't think of its name, St. George's, I think). I highly recommend buying the audioguide for good historical information. At some point, we took a break for lunch outside of the castle, then returned to finish our tour. Definitely walk through the gardens just below the castle for more beautiful views.

On another day, we spent time in Old Town & the Jewish Quarter, & Wenceslas Square. Visited the Communist Museum, and the Mucha Museum.

On another day, we also visited Vysehrad, where Prague was born. We love this area of Prague; it is located on a hill overlooking the Vlatava River. There are remains of an old fortress, the Sts. Peter & Paul Church, and the beautiful national cemetery.

At night we saw a Mozart Concert at the Estates Theater, and a marionette show, Don Giovanai, at a small theater in Old Town.

My trip report is posted "Czech Republic: Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Telc & Karlovy Vary." I give names & locations of restaurants, theaters, etc.

Hope this helps. You will love Prague!!! It is the most beautiful city I have visited so far.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Spend a day on castle hill. Lots to do. All of you, or at least your son, can climb the steeple tower of St. Vitus Cathedral for a THRILLING view over Prague, Charles Bridge and the Voltava river below. Stunning!
As soon as you arrive, go to the National Theatre and get tickets for a performance. The venue is beautiful and the opera was Carmen . We also saw a performance at the Stat Opera - The Marriage of Figaro (not as good) but being in the Opera Houses is a special treat. It would be nice to have these performances to do in the evening since it will get dark quite early and your days will be shorter than in summer.
Motzart is VERY popular in Prague!
We also enjoyed the Alfons Mucha Museum - a Czech artist. And don't miss the Charles Bridge! We stayed just across the bridge in the Lessor Quarter and loved walking across it each day.
We also went to a Piano-violin recital at the Villa Bertramka Gardens and Mozart Museum. This MAY be close to where you are staying. It is a little distance from Old Town.
Jewish Quarter and Old Town would fill a day.
You can also ascend the Town Hall tower (building that houses the Astronomical Clock) for a bird's eye view of the Old Town Square, Tyne Church, Jan Hus Memorial, and St. Nicholas Church below. There is an elevator so very few steps. A great experience!
Have Fun. Prague is special and so easy!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM

I would recommend staying by Old Town (which is a short distance from Charles Bridge). Hanging out in the Old Town Square, drinking Kozel dard beer at night, and people watching was the best!!!

Click on my name as well for a recent trip report. Kwoo's report is great and I used it as a reference for my trip.

Prague is beautiful! You will spend lots of time on the Charles Bridge. Make sure you walk up to the seminary. In the seminary is an Italian restaurant that has a tremendous view of the whole city. They also serve my beloved Kozel dark beer! (Tell your son to try this..I went over there loving Pilner Urquell and left loving Kozel dark. I brought back two bottles of Kozell and one can of Budweiser. I shared the Kozell with friends! We are trying to figure out how we can import some! haha).

Enjoy Prague!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM

http://www.prague.net/itineraries-in-prague
go to this excellent website,some ideas for Iteinaries there.
As others have said no problem getting a beer in Prague but get your son to look at this this ,just might give him some ideas.
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/prague.html
aslo look at this recent thread on beer in Prague.There is links to quite a few sites and one to my Trip report from May.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...czech-beer.cfm
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for helping me. I'm thinking arrive on Sunday morning do old town and the jewish quarter. Will that be too much for the 1st day? Monday do new town. Tuesday the castle and Hradcany. Wednesday little quarter and new town. Does this make sense to anyone or if you have a better idea please let me know?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM

First thing we did was head across the Charles Bridge.

Realize Prague is quite small, so over 4 days you will have more than enough time to see everything.

I basically "winged" Prague in 3 nights. I really didn't have my 3 days planned out. I think once you get there you will figure it out.

Old Town I loved at night. Lots of activity, great to kick back have some dinner and beers at one of the many outdoor eateries. During the day there are dancers, stalls selling all kinds of inexpensive foods, you can even get a horse drawn carriage ride if you are into that kind of thing. You will also find many tour guides standing with signs that say "Nazi Prague" "Communist Prague" "The Prague Experience" if you are interested in a tour guide.

Across the Charles Bridge is Mala Stranka (spelling?), the castle and all the way up the hill, the seminary with the scenic overview and Italian restaurant. The seminary also has a pivovar that makes some pretty good beer.

Jewish Quarter we walked through but not sure what the attraction is. I know there is a cemetery that we didn't go in.

Wenceslas Square is a large shopping district. We walked from one end to the other and back. Right between Old Town and Wenceslas is a street that has an outdoor market which was nice to walk around.

See Kwoo or my trip report for the name of the restaurant on Kemper Island that was really good. Inexpensive and really good food (and did I mention, Kozel dark beer!!!) I also have the name of the best place to have dinner and drink on Old Town Square.

You will be fine.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Hi debkuiv,
The restaurant that Masterphil refers to on Kampa Island is Cervena Sedma. As you walk across the bridge towards the castle side of the river, take the stairs on the left (you are close to the end of the bridge at this point). You will see two restaurants: the first one I think belongs to a hotel; the second one is Cervena Sedma. There is outdoor dining; food is delicious and inexpensive.

We bought tickets for the Jewish Quarter. We visited the cemetery and 3 synagogues. One synagogue has the drawings from the children of Terezin. Very moving & sad. The Spanish synagogue is the most beautiful.

I wish I knew about the Italian restaurant by the seminary that Masterphil talks about. I guess I'll have to go back to Prague again!!

The outdoor market between Wenceslas and Old Town is Havel's market. I agree with Masterphil; it's fun for walking around & browsing. There is even a water faucet so you can buy fresh fruit & wash it before you eat it.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Something else to consider is the Bone Church is Kutna Hora. It is both fascinating and macabre at the same time. Something that is definitely a unique experience. You can pick up this tour in Old town right in front of the Old Town Hall Tower & Astronomical Clock. You'll also visit other churches during this tour as well as lunch in an authentic Czech restaurant. Your also given a cd of pictures of the Bone Church.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I would not spend a day in Kutna Hora and Sedlec. While a worthwhile destination, that leavesa only three days in Prague - not enough.

Also I would spend <i>two</i> days on the Castle side of the river. Even if you want to take a tram up to the castle, I suggest walking across the Charles bridge before you do. We must have walked across 1/2 a dozen times during our stay - it never gets old.

My report, if you're interested...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tober-3-10.cfm