Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there really a McDonalds coming to the Louvre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...5102&GT1=33002

I'm a bit surprised if it's true.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Another thread currently is talking about this - not coming to the Louvre but to the underground shoppping mall that already has many commercial enterprises, including bistros, etc. So why not some affordable food and food that the French just seem not to be able to get enough of - McDonald's profits in France are soaring. So a welcome addition to current more expensive offerings to me.

Great!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Apparently one is moving into the food court of the Carousel du Louvre shopping mall. Not quite the same as being in the museum. The food court there is operated by AutoGrill, the Italian freeway restaurant company, so it's not as though it's a big shock or anything when you look at the other food stands there, except for news media trying to find a sensationalist angle. There is already a McDonald's across the street from the Louvre on rue de Rivoli. Big deal.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM

the Food Nazis are out in force on the other thread

Sacrilege they are saying - McDonalds in general they say - well for those types i say fine don't go but for the rest of us who find McDs a great place for cheap (and good) coffee, WCs, etc let us enjoy what McDonalds offers

Tired of snobbism as regards to food.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Yes its coming. The frogs love McDos as they call it.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM

And so do the Brits - McDonalds everywhere there as well as Starbucks.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Palenque:

You said...<i>Tired of snobbism as regards to food.</i>

Same here old boy...ditto with lodging elitism.

For the white-tablecloth-crystal-glass ***Michelin crowd...you ain't lived until you've munched a reindeer burger at the Helsinki McD's...(true!)

stu tower
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Sorry, Santa!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM

It's just a shopping mall, who cares. Why would one be surprised, you see people sitting around on benches eating sandwiches they got at some fast food place, anyway, in the Louvre. They carry them in their bags or get them at that food court.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Is it true that those "food nazis" on the other thread live in homes that don;t have ANY mirrors????
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Dukester - no - they just can't believe real people, like the French, would enjoy McDonalds, being unable to let their own dictates not dictate what others should do. It is really snobbism at its highest IMO

One more reason to go to Helsinki, thanks for that tidbit Stu
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Sacrilege they are saying - McDonalds in general they say - well for those types i say fine don't go but for the rest of us who find McDs a great place for cheap (and good) coffee, WCs, etc let us enjoy what McDonalds offers

Tired of snobbism as regards to food."

Why is it snobbism not liking McD's? I find their food and coffee totally crappy.

Don't go there where we live, why would do it when traveling?
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM

If too few people go to McDonald's because they view the food as "crappy" the "problem" will correct itself. But, every time I've been to the McDonaald's on the Champs the lines are stunningly long. So much for fast food.

It's not necessarily snobbish not to like McDonalds food. It's snobbish to have a hissy fit because McDonald's chooses to open a store somewhere some folks, who have no skin in the game, find sacrosanct.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Reindeer is delicious, I tasted my SIL's steak in Stockholm and wished I'd ordered it.

It's not snobbism not to like McD's, but there are those who want to make Paris into something the think it should be, not as it is. Someone posted here...can't remember the thread..that the famous two hour lunch for working people in Paris, is becomming a thing of the past.

The chains are not just for tourists either.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I like McD's and am a card-carrying member of the ***Michelin crowd. I can't understand why one can't like both.

As to the Louvre... I can't understand why this is some sort of sacrilege. It has a mall attached for God's sake. I struggle to think of a more commercial museum (nor a more amazing museum).
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I never eat the hamburgers there, but they have a really excellent Caesar salad. When I want a hamburger, I go to Quick.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Why is it snobbism not liking McD's? I find their food and coffee totally crappy.

Don't go there where we live, why would do it when traveling?>

the point is not that you must like McDonalds - i never ever eat anything there but coffee or a yoghurt-cream sundae - would never ever, anymore, eat any meat, etc.

but the point is that opening a McDonalds in a shopping mall that happens to be under the Louvre courtyard should not be viewed as a sacrilege as many on both threads have exclaimed. and that is cultural snobbism - trying to prevent or lamenting the opening of some place so so many apparently really like.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM

<<...coffee or a yoghurt-cream sundae - would never ever, anymore, eat any meat, etc.>>

Right. A little meat would probably be really bad for you...

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutri...nComparison.do
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM

but the point is that opening a McDonalds in a shopping mall that happens to be under the Louvre courtyard should not be viewed as a sacrilege as many on both threads have exclaimed. and that is cultural snobbism - trying to prevent or lamenting the opening of some place so so many apparently really like."

if the French think it is fine with them and they like fast food... who is to say otherwise.

after all, haven't they got some place called Disneyland?
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM

and Graffiti.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -