Prague - a fool to miss

Search

Prague - a fool to miss

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague - a fool to miss

Are there any specific places I would be a fool to miss when i'm in Prague(including possible places that could be reached by taking a day trip). Possibly some nearby castles? I don't know when i'll be back in this area, and I don't want to miss anything nearby. I have 4 or 5 days there in august.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM

I try to have a cup of coffee here:

http://www.hanavskypavilon.cz/index.php?lang=ISO-8859-1

You get some of the msot amazing views of Prague. You can walk to Hradcany from there across Jeleni Prikop.

I don't typically do the tourist things so I can't help you there.

Other than that, Karlstejn is good if you can get on the 2. tour. The normal tour is what you get if you walk up. If you make reservations a day before, you can request the 2. tour, which takes you to the chapel, a 14. century vision of heaven. Highly recommended.

http://www.hradkarlstejn.cz/en/
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Any other places near Prague worth visiting on a day trip?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM

I'll second the Karlstejn Castle. They have English speaking tour guides and can be prearranged. Be prepared for a little hike. From where the train drops you off, it is about two miles into town, but a very scenic walk.

In Prague, there is Prague Castle, Praha Zoo, Charles Bridge, Town Squares (Lessor Town and Old Town, forgive the spelling), along with Petrin, the miniature version of Eiffel Tower. Oh, go to the Museum of Natural History, and the astronomical clock in one of the town squares is very popular.

If you are looking for souvenirs, crystal and garnets are the 'thing'. A couple hours drive out of Prague and you can end up in Austria. Just remember to have your passport (we forgot ours in Prague). There are some older castles in the countryside, old war bunkers, and the scenery is spectacular!

Get yourself a nice Prague Guidebook. We had our own personal tour guide for two weeks in Prague (gal who was our foreign exchange student for eight months and we stayed with her family). Czech Republic is beautiful and you won't want to miss it!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Cesky Krumlov, south of Prague, is a long day trip, but well worth it. If you could spend the night or longer it would be better.
A true little fairy tale town with a beautiful castle. Google CK and see some pics and get some more information. You might also search this site for inf and pics. Don't miss it.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Dresden Germany isn't that far for a day trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I recommend Terezin Concentration Camp for a day trip.

Cesky Krumlov is a gem of a city--one of the prettiest I have ever seen--but the drive is 3 hours, so that is 6 hours to and fro. That doesn't give you a lot of time for exploration.

I enjoyed Karlstein Castle, but the interior is very sparse. I did go into the chapel. The crown that is displayed at the castle is FAKE.

Since you only have 4-5 days in Prague, I would suggest that you spend your time in the city. There is much to see and do.

Check out the Mucha Museum and the Loreto Convent.

Thingorjus
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM

I second the advice to purchase some crystal and garnet while there. I bought my daughter a garnet ring from Prague and she cherishes it. I was there 5 years ago and the affordability of everything in Prague was great - it may be different now.

Regarding Dresden...I think people overlook this city oftentimes but for me it was a treat to visit...the fact that it was so splendid before the war and then totally devastated and now much has been rebuilt. Its architecture is interesting and there is a wonderful art museum. It's worthy of a visit.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Any other day trips in/outside of Prague?
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Jason:

aside from all of the above, try to sepdn some time in the old Jewish ghetto (Josefov)...the ceneteray therein is utterly amazing...tumbling stones from severa centuries back...just a short way west is the town of Lidice (lee-dee-chay)and it's monument, commmorating the complete destruction by the Nazis, of every citizen (300+). Even further west toward the German border (140 kms)wish to take in Karlovy Vary (the old spa town, beautiful and something you won't see in the USA.

Enjoy the CzR..you'll love it. Where are you staying? We favorThe Three Ostriches (U Tri Pstrosu) smack on the Charles Bridge.

Want a deli....The Bohemian Bagel is the place for you...there are two of them in town.

Stu T.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Please excuse the typos....eyes aren't what they used to be...typing is worse!

Stu T.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm not positive where we're staying yet, i'm looking into some hostels. How were the prices where you stayed?

Does anybody else have any interesting Prague ideas? Any rare churches, hill of crosses, or possibly even a place to stop in the country on my way in/out on the train. I'll most likely be traveling from Prague to Budapest via train...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM

Rates at U Tri Pstrosu (The Three Ostriches) have gone up appreciably the past three years. When we were last there we had a large fabulous room overlooking the Charles Bridge below...had a snow dusting one night and the footprints could be readily seen in the morning...we paid $120 back then...I'd bet they would be in the $250+ vicinity now. Try 'em out...

stu T.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM

The Church of St Cyril and Methodius was a highlight of our visit to Prague.

This is the church where the Czech resistance fighters who assassinated Reinhard Heydrich were finally trapped, and killed themselves, rather than suffer the torment of the Nazis. The leader was Jan Kubis, born in 1913 in Trebic, a town in Southern Moravia. He fled Czechoslovakia during the Second World War and made his way to Great Britain where he was trained as a parachutist in the British Special Operations Executive (SOE). Jan and his commrades were dropped into Czechoslovakia to organise the Czechoslovak Resistance and to assassinate the SS-Obergruppenfuhrer, Reinhard Heydrich, also known as "The Butcher of Prague". On May 27th 1942 at approximately 10:30 am Jan Kubis and his commrades mounted an attack on Heydrich's car. As his commrades'Sten gun failed to fire Jan Kubis hurled a grenade which exploded against the car. All of the assassins escaped even though Jan was injured. The mortally injured Heydrich died 10 days later from blood poisoning, caused by fragments of leather from the cars seats. The Gestapo offered 10,000,000 Crowns for information leading to the arrest of the assassins, and eventually the parachutists were betrayed by two of their own team. Jan Kubis and the others took refuge at the Church of St Cyril and Methodius in Resslova Street, just down the hill towards the river from Karlovo Namesti, Prague. The Nazis learned out about their hiding place and on June the 18th 1942 they surrounded the church. Trapped in the crypt the parachutists fought until dawn the following day. The last survivors, Jan Kubis and Josef Gabcik used their last bullets to kill each other. Terrible reprisals followed the assassination. The village of Lidice was completely destroyed, all the men were killed, the women taken to concentration camps and most of the children were taken to be adopted by German families.

There is a museum in the crypt of the church. Very well worth a visit.
The whole story is told in the film Operation Daybreak.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM

I went for a day trip to Kutna Hora, easily accessible by train. A nice option but not a must-see, although the Bone Church was interesting.