Is Chania a MUST See??

Search

Is Chania a MUST See??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Chania a MUST See??

Hi Everyone - I am planning a trip to Greece for June of this year (yes, I know, a bit last minute!) I was originally planning for 4 days in Crete/Chania, 3 days in Santorini, 3 days in Mykonos & 2 days in Athens. However, I am now rethinking the Crete portion of my trip just due to the amount of touring time I'll have there. Depending on how I structure my trip, I will have only 2-3 days of actual leisure time in Chania (based on the times of my connecting flight from Athens to Chania and then on the backend, I would need to catch a bus to Iraklion so that I could get my ferry to Santorini). With this in mind, I am contemplating skipping Crete, although I had really become excited about seeing Chania. Any suggestions?? Is Chania a must see? With 3 full days of site seeing in Chania is it worth it? What about 2 days and then stopping in Reythmeon on day 3 on my way to Iraklion (so at least it would be somewhat worth it)? Thanks everyone...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM

It depends on what you are going for. Are you a party animal, and want to club for 3 nights in Mykonos? OK. If not, I would certanly take a day off Mykonos and tack it onto Crete! Mykonos is an over-promoted dry little party isle full of cruise folk buying jewelry by day. But to each his own... learn by doing.

We could give best advice if you gave your actual arrival/departure times & dates -- that affects a lot.

I certainly think u will enjoy 2 days in Chania... and you will have to spend the 3rd night in Heraklion to make that 9:45 am ferry (an early am bus won't make it).

I think you have to change busses in Rethymnon anyway. So why not stash your bag (try a local ticket agency & offer to pay a couple Euro for 2 hrs storage) and take a stroll in Old Town. You will find it more crowded, less interestng than Chania Old Town IMHO, but DO go to the mighty Fortezza... quite impressive. Then bus on To Heraklion by late-day... Hotel Mirabello is nice/reasonable price, Hotel IRINI OK & handy for 1-night... for dinner I love Psara near the Iraklion Fort -- an ouzerie par excellence.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM

Chania is one of my new favorite places in Europe. Don't skip it!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! My other alternative was ditching my days in Crete and splitting them between Naxos & Napflion...

I am definitely leaning toward sticking with Crete though. Thanks!!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM

My husband and I just spent 4 days in Chania and loved it!

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Mykonos has its charms....take a day trip to Delos and 2 days on the beach perhaps? Water should be cool, but warming up in June. Some good scuba diving around if that is your thing. It is a bit partyish, I'll give you that and the food is ridiculously expensive...still Kalafati beach very nice.

I hate anything less than a 3 day stop though, so that could just be personal preferance seeping in.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM

I loved Chania- much more so than Santorini or Mykonos. Santorini has the amazing views and Mykonos is beautiful, but Chania has much more charm IMO.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM

3 or 4 days in Chania is just about perfect. Many people want to tour Crete in 4 days and that is a mistake. If on the other hand you want to stay in Chania you will have a wonderful time. You will probably have to stay in Heraklion the night before to catch your ferry. I would not really recommend cutting Chania for a night in Rethymnon. Maximize your time in Chania.
To help you make your decision here are our pictures of Western Crete from last summer. The majority are of Chania.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559511069PIlVxI
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Would I have to stay in Heraklion the night before I leave for Santorini?? Couldn't I just leave REALLY early from Chania to ensure I catch the ferry in time? Not sure how traffic is on the way to the port in Heraklion, but I certainly want to maximize my time in Chania as much as possible...
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM

Stanbr,
Just wanted to tell you we loved Pension Nora!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM

Imavolio-]

There is an early-morning bus from Chania with a stop in Rethymnon that will get you to Heraklion in time for the ferry to Santorini which departs at 9:45.

http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com/ti...ine=1&lg=2

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ (Take note of the no-sail dates for June, the 4th and the 18th)